Lessons, What age?

C

Ceejay123

This is quite random for me, as my LO is only six months old! :dohh: But me and OH were talking today. I got a decent grade in french, and carried it on privately. I'm not quite fluent, but I can more than get by! I hope to do some rosetta stones, and spend time with family in Montreal to become fluent.
My family are fluent in German, and again I can get by.
I'm hoping to teach LO these as he grows up, but would like him to have a few lessons while hes young if he needs them. I also did piano as a child, that I loved! Although OH thinks its a waste of time :(

What age do you think is the right age for Piano etc? OH was thinking teens.. I wanted as early as possible.. Even if its just to mess around and get comfortable with a piano. x

My little sister is four, she loves her keyboard. I'd send her to piano if she were my daughter! Just to get used to it :) I want to send him at 4-5.. And see how his languages going and maybe do that at 5-6.

I love French, my Dad and sister moved to Quebec, which gets me citizenship etc, so I had to learn. I absolutely love it, but I have been useless with it lately, so i need to get the rosetta stones going :D

German, Im not so keen on. My Dad speaks it, he lived in germany for three years and hes moving back there in two weeks. Good oppertunity for us to learn it, I can take LO out there for summers etc. x

i'd love to know Japanese! x

Piano id say you could start at 5. Languages start now!! I am from Montreal and speak French and English.

Montreal is my dream land <3. I want to move there some day :) I will teach him languages myself as he grows, just in case he needs extra lessons as Im not quite fluent! Although I think maybe I should get the lessons instead, and teach him? x

Id just throw it into daily life,that's how I learnt. I knew all my animals,food,things at playground etc quite early on just from someone telling me what they were. I plan to speak both languages to my future children.
Would love to move back home but OH is an east London boy and will never leave,not enough pubs and no decent football In Canada he says!

Haha :) I love Munich, it's Gorgeous. We're off for the Oktoberfest this year.. LO will probably kill me when I tell him his first holiday abroad was a beer festival lmao! x

Most kids here start music lessons at about 6. so school age.

I'm with you on teaching kids extra bits on the side.
I think you could introduce language in every day life early on, if you think about it wee kids that watch Dora know a good few words in spanish from about 3 so never too early to learn. My niece can count to 20 in 3 languages just from playschool and tv.

I think with an instrument they need to be able to have a certain level of concentration so maybe about 5yo? You could give them a toy keyboard first and encourage free play with it and then introduce the classes.

Languages, start now! I speak fluent in French and Russian, and speak pretty well it German and Irish. From birth I have spoken to all of my boys in French and Russian. OH only speaks french and what he can remember of Latin. But my 3 year olds can make basic small talk such as hello, how are you, do some colours, the days of the week, basic numbers and a few other random words and phrases in French and Russian! Bodhi does better than Lockie, as Lockie tends to get a bit confused. I also sing to the boys in these languages too which helps. And as far as piano lessons. I'd say 4-6, start 'em early. Then again saying that I have my boys sat up at a piano already, for the simple reason I am an avid player and they want to have a go. They can play a couple of songs.. albeit very slowly, and they often have to stop and think . But they're making very good progress. I'm proud x

That sounds fab surfermommy fair play to you :)
Their brains really are like wee sponges at that age they pick up everything so much easier!

Awwh well done surfermommy x

That sounds fab surfermommy fair play to you :)
Their brains really are like wee sponges at that age they pick up everything so much easier!

Their brains are like sponges, they absorb everything! I'm so proud of them. One mom is forever calling me pushy and once even said that I was denying them a happy childhood???? Last time I checked my kids were very happy...

Giving them a rounded education and exposing them to different activities is definitely not denying them a happy childhood :dohh: Silly woman!!
Keep up the good work! :)

Giving them a rounded education and exposing them to different activities is definitely not denying them a happy childhood :dohh: Silly woman!!
Keep up the good work! :)

I know, she thinks she's the best mother ever... she criticized me for letting my son have a sip of my water (because it was in a plastic bottle) on a very hot day in the park after he had already finished his drink. She gave me a 10 minute lecture on chemicals... You're from Waterford? My cousin and her husband live there (Her husband is on BnB too actually)! I was there a few years ago, I love Waterford. x

Oh god I can't tolerate those kinda people!!

Yup I'm from Waterford :) Small world :)

Languages start straight away! And piano I'd start around 4 or 5.

I'd start young, but only if LO wants to do it. My 5 year old sister is in a race team but she picked to do that :) my 10 year old sisters been going to a weekend dance/drama school for a year now and she picked that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->