Link Between Retroverted "Tilted" Uterus and Cramps?

Monzter79

Reaction score
I understand that cramping early on is normal. I have had constant cramping and soreness. Tonight it feels more like muscle pain than my usual cramps. My u/s looked great. Doc told me no sex until next U/s and to sit/lay down when I have cramps. Not sure why the extra precautions...

I'm wondering- since my uterus is tilted, is it possible that it's causing more strain/ cramping than it would otherwise? I know they usually flip forward by 10-12 weeks. That seems like a BIG shift in a short amount of time. I wonder if the rapid growth and weight increase is pulling things?

Anyone here have experience with tilted uterus and frequent FREQUENT cramping? Does anyone else suspect that they're related??

Thank you.

I had cramps off and on all through my 1st tri. I don't think it was necessarily linked to me having a tilted uterus though. I had cramps with my first, but I didn't have a tilted when I was pregnant with him. Its most likley that it's just round ligament pain.

I'm having a lot of cramps today too at 9w3d. I have a very tilted uterus. I wonder if you're on to something because i did not have cramps this far along with my first...

I have a tilted uterus and have horrid pulling sharp pains often on a daily basis.... Pretty sure it's because ours has more work and movement to do!!

I have a tilted uterus and like my previous pregnancy am suffering with pains. I have a constant dull achey stretchy pulling pain across my lower abdomen and the odd session of cramping. Seeing as I had this last time and have had an okay 6 week scan this time, I figure this is how it must be for me.

Thanks ladies. This is really interesting to me...

I have had cramps since before my BFP. I was worried, but since I read that cramping was normal (and since pain is such a relative thing) I really tried not to be too upset by it. Then, when I had my first scan everything looked really good. So here I am... still cramping! But, since my first scan looked good after so much cramping, I feel a little safer knowing it's not necessarily an indicator that anything is wrong.

Of course I want more detailed information to help put my mind to ease! I googled all around, but as with many things during pregnancy- the information is somewhat lacking. So, I'm very interested in the anecdotal info you all are providing.

I asked my doc about it and she says "It's normal. Your uterus is changing rapidly.". Then, right on the heels of that response, I get "But, no sex until we see your next scan and lay down right away if you're cramping." Of course I asked "Why?", and "What will doing/not doing that prevent or cause?". No real answer. Just something akin to "Well, that's just what you do." Or, "We don't know but better to be safe." Thanks DOCTOR. LOL

So, to add to my above questions;

Is your uterus tilted or do you have any other anatomical abnormalities (tilted, bicornuate "heart-shaped", incompetent cervix, etc.)? Do you think you've had a higher degree and frequency of cramping than is considered "normal"?

Have you had a higher degree and frequency of cramping than you consider "normal", WITHOUT any anatomical abnormalities?

Or, if you have anything else to add- I'd love to hear it!!

I see posts here every day about cramping. It's obviously something that concerns a LOT of us. Hopefully this line of questioning can provide some additional insight.

I have a "very tilted (retroverted)" uterus. Before my first baby, i was never told that i did so I'm thinking it may not have been as bad. Last time with my son, i had cramps on and off maybe 3 times from 3-6 weeks pregnant. I did suffer from something called irritable uterus with my son but it's basically a lot of contractions all day everyday that don't cause any harm, just annoyance and pain. However that did not start until 25 weeks along.

This time, i had SEVERE cramps the day of my bfp at 3w4d. I've continued on having weird pulling and cramps (not as severe as that first day at all though). This week, I've been cramping a lot, not severe, but enough to notice. I am 9w4d today.

The cramps are probably irritating your uterus, so that's probably why your dr said no sex..don't want to make it worse. The advice of laying down is what my dr told me to do when i had irritable uterus contractions with my last pregnancy. I honestly think that "lay down and drink water" is their go-to answer for pregnancy problems :) lol!!!!

My doc said I have the most extreme tilted uterus she's ever seen. I actually asked her this since my cramps were really bad, she told me it wasn't related and the cramps are basically growing pains from the uterus enlarging.

One interesting note bc I had also wondered if this would later affect labor or anything else, back in the day docs used to think it caused miscarriage but apparently they completely discredited that a very long time ago.

I personally don't know how tilted my uterus is. I just know that in the last 6 years or so, sex has become painful at times (usually by hitting my cervix, or certain positions) when it normally wasn't before. I didn't even find out I had a tilted uterus until late summer/early fall of 2011 when I had my last LEEP procedure.

I get cramping but I figure as long as it's not extremely prolonged (lasts hours on end without letting up) and I'm not bleeding, and I feel Pickle moving (I'm 22 weeks along), I can deal with the cramping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->