Lipstick latchers - success stories please

pgfairy

Reaction score
Baby Jason is still having some problems with his latch and is still giving me a lipstick latch more often than not no matter what I try (he will get a great latch and still 2 minutes later shove my nipple forward in his mouth. We have stopped him doing any more really painful damage but its very frustrating for us both).

we are persevering but it would really help me if I could hear some success stories of other babies that did this at first! How long did it take to get a good latch, what did you try and what did you do to get through the rough and frustrating feeds?

:thumbup:

Have you tried a under arm hold rather than a cross cradle hold?

I find my guy latches better in this position and is less likely to just grab my nipple!

Have you tried a under arm hold rather than a cross cradle hold?

I find my guy latches better in this position and is less likely to just grab my nipple!

we have tried every position going. we do best cross cradle on one nipple and football hold on the other. we also looked at side laying and reclined and even play around with the newborn crawl method. we have done asymmetric latching and symmetric latching and the boob burger....we have made huge progress in the last few days and my nipples are healing now and much less painful.

We do get a good latch sometimes so I think we just need time and practice. I just need to hear other peoples stories so I can visualise the light at the end of this tunnel.

We got there in the end but it was a tough 10weeks. For my LO it was that she wasn't using her tongue correctly and after a while she'd tire and slip backwards. We were told no tongue tie but she was definately not using it right. At 10weeks she suddenly "got it" but I have no idea how or why. Up till then I just did lots of different feeds to give different parts of my nipples a rest, and had lots of support from LLL and NCT.

I'm feeling your pain today, we had a bad night latching last night, I was just so tired I wasn't really paying much attention!

LO is getting his tongue tie cut this week so I'm hoping that makes an improvement

My LO did the lipstick latch for a while and I think it was because of my strong let down. Strangly enough it never hurt though. (maybe cuz I have tough 3rd time Mom nipples? LOL Maybe because I "conditioned" them the last few months of my pregnancy?? IDK....) Around 10 weeks my LO just kinda got big enough to handle a strong let down without feeling like he was drowning and started latching deeper.

With my first I never fixed lipstick latch & gave up bf at 6 weeks as she often nipped too :(

With this one, I spoke to a lactation consultant. She went through what I was doing and recommended I do the "flipple" technique. I'd say we get it right first time about 50% of the time now. The other times I mostly take him off and start again - unless it's 3am, in which case I couldn't care less and don't bother taking him off unless it's agony.

Can you talk to a lactation consultant and get some advice - maybe get them to come out & take a look?? Also, are you using lanolin after every feed? It's a nipple saver!!! Finally - I have some nipple shells too. When I'm out I use breast pads, but in the house I'm putting the shells in my bra meaning air can get to my nipples & help them heal without me just wandering around half naked.

Good luck hun :)

Both of mine lipsticked my nipples for almost the entire nursing time (19 months Thomas, 11.5 months Sophie). I didn't think I even knew it was really an issue. Nursing was extremely painful at first though.

My nipples are almost perfectly lipstick shaped now, it was awful in the beginning but my nipples toughened up and now it's not a big deal. Hopefully it fixes quickly for you!

Pgfairy - this lipstick latch together with your posts about mammoth feeding sessions and weightloss, suggests there is an issue but I'm glad to see from one of your other posts that you are getting help IRL.

Yeah we are having pretty major issues here, and now my supply has started to suffer. Not sure how much longer we have left now but I'm going to continue to fight hard...

Apparently seeing an NHS LC in my county can take weeks. Fighting to see one privately as we speak.

Anyone got any tips on how to boost my supply with a tongue tie hindering milk transfer? Think I'm going to be heavily expressing over the next few days at least.

Apparently seeing an NHS LC in my county can take weeks. Fighting to see one privately as we speak.

La Leche League (08451202818) and NCT (0300330771) have International Board Certified Lactation Consultants, so I wouldn't wait for the NHS one, but get help now by calling their national helpline and requesting a home visit from one of their local counsellors. If one organisation has no-one local try another. There is also Association of Breastfeeding mothers although I don't know if they have IBCLCs.

La Leche League (08451202818) and NCT (0300330771) have International Board Certified Lactation Consultants, so I wouldn't wait for the NHS one, but get help now by calling their national helpline and requesting a home visit from one of their local counsellors. If one organisation has no-one local try another. There is also Association of Breastfeeding mothers although I don't know if they have IBCLCs.

Thanks noon_child, we managed to get an appointment with a private IBCLC on Friday. Thank goodness for company health insurance. Now I just have to boost my supply!!

Thanks noon_child, we managed to get an appointment with a private IBCLC on Friday. Thank goodness for company health insurance. Now I just have to boost my supply!!

Wow you must work for a great company!

I really do work for a good company :)

Well he did in fact have a posterior tie, which has now been cut and we've done a few feeds now and things seem to be improving. If nothing else he is transferring milk much more effectively and is keeping my nipple in shape for almost the entire feed (he still gets a bit lazy and chomps down at the end).

We are still working on our suck/breath/swallow technique with the tongue released but I'm confident things are on the up.

I was coming on today to see if there always an update, sounds like you guys are on the right road now

Keep us updated :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->