Little doctor intervention?

elle86

Reaction score
So far Ive had two 'proper' scans done one for Downs Syndrome and another anatomy scan. I have not had any urine tests since the ones I had at 12 weeks with the STI check and blood tests.

I'm a bit concerned- since the last anatomy scan at 20 weeks I have only had the Doppler to check the heart rate but no other tests? I'm wondering how they know that he is progressing as I see some ladies discussing sizes and weights and I have no idea whats going on in there! :shrug:

I feel kicks and movements no problem but are they doing enough?

I have my glucose test tomorrow then an appointment with my doctor next week to follow up with the results and give me my RH injections, should I expect an ultrasound? their machine is very dated :wacko:

Does your midwife not get you to do a urine sample every time you see her or check you bp?

I have no idea on weight of baby its only if they think youare too big too small that you get a growth scan xx

If your in the uk you only get 2 scans unless theres a problem xx

they have never asked for a urine sample at my midwife appointments- they check my blood pressure and my weight but that is all. They never measure me or anything like that?

Where do you live? It's very dependent on where you live as to how much the doctors are involved.

Here in the uk you get a blood test in the first trimester, followed by a 12 week scan and then a 20 week scan, but then that's it unless you have complications. You see a midwife at 16, 24, 28, 34, 36, 38 and 40 weeks but that's just for blood pressure/urine and general "how are you?" checks x

She should be asking for a urine sample every appointment & sge should start measiring at 28 weeks x

I'm in the uk and they have recently introduced at 31-33 weeks can to check on growth in my area, but I'm not sure if its the same all over the uk xx

Like people said, it depends where you are, and who you see. With my doc in the US, in third tri you go every two weeks until 35 then every week, where you get a quick fundal height, weight, urine test, blood pressure. The doc feels for position and listens on Doppler, then asks you general questions. Some doctors don't do ultrasounds in 3rd tri unless there is something that measures 'off', mine does growth scans at 32 weeks, and at my age also does one at 38 weeks to check fluid levels and placenta. Oh, and strep b culture at 36 weeks. Then he wil check your cervix anytime after 36 wks by request.

I have no idea where people get the size/weight estimations from, I presumed it's people who have had private scans or additional scans if a potential problem has been identified.

Every time I see my midwife she checks my urine and blood pressure. From 24 weeks she also listened to the heartbeat with the doppler. From 28 weeks she also felt babies position and checked for swelling in my ankles.

I think that's all they do as standard unless they suspect something might be up, in which case they'll send you for a scan.

What you describe is pretty normal for many parts of the UK, although I am surprised they haven't checked your urine which I have to have done everytime I see my midwife. As for weights of baby it is unlikely in the UK that you will have any idea unless there is concern you are too small/too big for your dates when measured or like me, you have another extra scan (such as to check a low lying placenta position). I can remember the first time I was the same and was worried the last time I had a scan was halfway through the pregnancy. Many women on here pay for private scans later on in their pregnancy or are in different countries where their care is different and get extra scans.
Rx

i also live in the US but my last scan was quite a while ago, im 34 weeks now. i had an early scan like 5 weeks (due to cramping and hx of mc), 10 or 12 weeks, 16 weeks, 18 weeks and then one from 20-24 weeks. the 18 week one was to get a better picture of her heart since she wouldn't lay still or in a good position. he also measures me at every appt and does urine tests at every appt. next week is my Strep Cultures and i start going every week until she arrives :) i'll prob get a growth scan sometime but im not to concerned about it, i completely trust my Dr :)

Here in Ontario, you get blood work done in 1st trimester and a dating scan to see how far you are, then one between 11-13weeks to check for downs etc, a scan between 18-20 weeks for anatomy, then bloods done between 26-28 weeks testing for GD. Thats all you get unless something is not right and need to scan you more. I get another scan at 32 weeks because my last scan said a low lying placenta.

Other then that, at doctors visits you get your BP checked and measure your belly and you can ask any questions you may have. They don't check your urine every visit, just when you get your bloods done, or if your having urinary problems.

Most of us that have growth US are for one risk or another. For a normal pregnancy they don't normally do them. In my first pregnancy they only planned on 20 week US.

Ok I'm in Australia. I'm going to ask about the urine samples just to check- going for my gd test today.. All of my scans and visits are paid for by me! And at a few hundred dollars each it's not cheap :-( just want to make sure he is growing as per schedule- if there was something wrong how would they know if my last ultra was 8 weeks ago?

Ok I'm in Australia. I'm going to ask about the urine samples just to check- going for my gd test today.. All of my scans and visits are paid for by me! And at a few hundred dollars each it's not cheap :-( just want to make sure he is growing as per schedule- if there was something wrong how would they know if my last ultra was 8 weeks ago?

They check fundal height, but really they wouldn't know until it was possibly too late. In my first pregnancy my daughter was perfectly fine at 20 weeks and at nearly 27 weeks was dead with VERY low fluid when they did the U/S to confirm death.

how awful, I'm so sorry to hear that. Was there anything that could have been done to save her?

My midwife has a little feel at where the top of the uterus is at each four-week visit (I think this is called the fundal height and is to do with growth).

They also check my pee for protein, utis etc. And apparently I get some more lovely blood tests at my next app (next week). Delightful! Xx

how awful, I'm so sorry to hear that. Was there anything that could have been done to save her?

If they had delivered her before she died she had about an 80% chance with NICU time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->