LO is skeptical of textured food

Reaction score
I don't know what to do! I have made all his purees from day one, but I have recently been trying to give him pieces of an omelet, toast, and pieces of fruit/veggies that have been softened. Also, I have started making his purees thicker. The problem is he makes a face of disgust every time it goes in his mouth. He's a little more welcoming of the chunkier purees, but it takes him a few bites to get used to it. And any finger food, well besides Cheerios lol, we can basically forget about! He will put it in his mouth, make a face and play with it or through it on the ground. So I try and get smart and put small pieces of it in the purée, and he just won't swallow it, it just sits in his mouth until I scoop it out. Is he just not ready for finger food? I mean he will eat Cheerios or these pin wheel things I got at the store. All I can think is it comes down to texture. Eggs and toast have very unique textures and fruits/veggies are slippery. Does anyone have this problem? Or any suggestions on how to get him to be more welcoming? And pickiness is not a worry! He will eat anything in purée form! Lol.

I'd,give him a bit more time, some babies are fussier than others with textures, just keep trying the chunkier stuff and finger foods and have something you know he'll eat in reserve in case.

Have you tried some of the baby finger foods that melt in the mouth after starting off crunchy? Like the carrot stix or biscotti biscuits? They kind of introduced my lo to a bit more texture.

Willow is 13months and she still won't eat 10m+ textured purée and has just started eating some finger food that isn't biscuits etc, she accepted toast from about 10m but still wiggles with things like banana/cooked carrot/slimy things. I just keep trying, it'll happen eventually...I hope...although I have visions of her being one of these children who will only eat chips and fish fingers age 3!!!!
X

have you tried the training meals such as Plum Organics or Ella's Kitchen? My LO is starting to eat those. She didn't have any real interest in our table food but I wanted her to start having some meats/protein.

I'm not too worried about him getting protein or anything as he will eat chicken, as long as its puréed. I just worry about the texture thing, because I am a pretty picky eater and it stems from different textures. It took me forever to even like something as simple as mashed potatoes, because if they had a lump in them it would make me gag. I guess I have to keep being persistent.

My daughter was very picky, until she could spoon feed herself properly (ie getting some in her own mouth lol) we could never spoon lumpy stuff into her... She would eat certain finger foods, but lumps, ,forget it!
Now tho, she is still picky but will eat plenty of "normal food"
My 11 month old however will eat anything I spoon in, he has been eating 10 month lumpy jars for about 2 months and will try anything i put in front of him.
It's just a phase and just keep trying things. Oh the only lumpy thing my daughter would eat was Heinz powered cheesy pasta, looked like wall paper paste but she adored that stuff and it was lumpy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->