• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

LO just drank Fairy Liquid!

susan_1981

Mummy to 2 boys :)
Reaction score
I just popped out and left my mum with my boys. She was just changing my youngest's nappy when she heard my eldest (19 month old) crying. He'd managed to get into the kitchen and got hold of the Fairy Liquid!! We have a baby gate to stop him from getting in there but he must have worked out how to open it. I think if you push it hard enough, it will open which is probably what he did (so we will be getting another baby gate). Our kitchen is baby proofed, but I never let him in there and now that he can reach most things, it clearly isn't baby proofed enough!

Anyway, my mum went to him straight away and caught him with the Fairy Liquid which he had managed to get in his eyes. So we've bathed his eyes and he seems fine, until just a second ago when he burped and it smelt of Fairy Liquid!!! I think if he did drink any, it would have been the tiniest bit and he seems absolutely fine. Should I just keep an eye on him or should I call the doctor?

Go to A&E now. Might be completely fine but you can't take chances with these things. Is there anything else in the cabinet he could have got into?

No, all the cupboards have baby locks on. It's just the fairy liquid which I'd left up by the sink but he reached. I just called the Fairy helpline and she said it's not an irritant so it should be fine but if I notice any change in him then to talk to my doctor or take him to the hospital.

If it's the normal fairy then I would call NHS direct and they will advise you of the usual keep an eye on them. The normal fairy isn't dangerous, it's just a mild simple detergent without any corrosive or strong chemicals in. Ditto for most other washing up liquids in the UK. If it was the anti-bac version though, this IS dangerous and warrants a trip to a&e pronto. My middle son and second youngest son both had a penchant for eating and drinking inappropriate things no matter how well we child proofed they would get at them. I no longer buy any cleaning products that would be at all lethal if swallowed or splashed in the eyes, it's just too risky with kids about xx

It was just the Fairy original washing up liquid. I'm sure I've had a taste of it before but then I'm not a baby. I'm going to keep an eye on him but he does seem fine. I know NHS Direct will just tell me to go the hospital like they always do. I may give my doctor a call though and see what they say.

Call them and check. It's so much better to be sure.

Either call nhs direct or go to a&e (take the bottle with you). It's probably fine but worth checking out - especially as they may know symptoms to watch for that you wouldn't think of.

DD bit into a dishwasher tablet at about the same age. I took her to a&e but it was absolutely fine. It happens so easily - we had a child lock on the cupboard, I opened the cupboard to scoop out sone washing powder and while I was putting the powder into the machine (next to cupboard) she darted in like lightning!

Omg the little tinker :haha: hope he's ok!

Blimey jade done this I didnt even consider doctor? Gosh im top laod back

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->