long first labor, fast second, what to expect for the third?

kerrymom

Reaction score
My first labor lasted about 25 hours, my second took only 6 and we barely made it to the hospital. I am expecting my third and am wondering if I should expect another quick labor.

Obviously you just never know, but I wanted to see what happened with other moms second or third, or fourth labors.

First- 4 hours
second - 1.5 hours

i'm hoping my third will just shoot out in minutes haha.

my friend was 6hrs with her first and 1hr 45mins with her second! X

For me is got quicker each time
#1 41 hours ( 4 active )
#2 22 hours ( 4 active )
#3 9 hours ( 2.5 active )
Im interested to see how this one goes.

Im in the same boat. I had to be induced with #1 (low/no fluid). 22 hours later I "needed" a csection.

With #2, I went about my business all day long, never felt ANYTHING that alerted me that labor may be starting. Water broke and everything went 0-60 instantly. Contractions started with 2 minutes and they were barely 90 seconds apart. A whopping 1 hour 23 minutes later he was out.

Im terrified that this labor will be even faster (we got to the hospital and 12 minutes later #2 was born). Im fully expecting it to be fast again. My husband and I decided that we will more than likely just call for an ambulance the second my water breaks, just to be safe.

I've been thinking about this too!

1st was 48 hours of regular contractions 8 hrs active labour.
2nd was induced with 6 hours of regular contractions then just 13 mins active labour (yes you read that right) 10 mins going from 3cm-10cm!!!! Followed by just 2 small pushes recorded as 3 minutes!!!!!
So naturally when I discovered last week that I am pregnant with number 3 my first thoughts are of course do I need to plan a home birth! Not sure if the induction had anything to do with it but if active labour is quicker with 3rd I'm completely screwed!

Good question! I am also pregnant with my third and wondering how long labour will be. First was 26 hours, second 14 hours...so should I hope for a 7 hour labour?? Which, let's be honest, I'd be thrilled about! Hope others will chime in :)

I've thought about this as well. I have heard many accounts where subsequent labors are generously shorter than previous ones. Considering my first started with broken waters (and weeks of prodomal labor and being 2-3 cm dilated) and was born 6 hrs later, I think next time I should try for a homebirth and not risk a car/bathroom baby. :haha: Was only in "active" labor for about 2 hrs, went from 4-9.5 cm in 75 min !!

First labour - 10 days over due. 18 hours active labour and ventouse delivery

Second labour - 37+2 with 3 minutes active labour!

Third labour - 34+4 weeks. Waters broke and was examined. Cervix was posterior and only 1cm dilated. Mild contractions continued but I wasn't checked for dilatation again. 3 hours later I felt sudden pressure and within 5 minutes I had delivered.

Speedy...

1st 42+2 weeks took 24h.
2nd 40+3 weeks took 5,5h and barely made it to the hospital.
3rd 40+4 weeks took about 9h. I was so nervous from the second labour that I went to the hospital quite early. I have about 18-20 months between the kids :)

I've heard that if you halve the length of your last labour that is a good estimate of how long your next will be. Of course it is far from being certain, but if you had a short labour last time I'd head on in quite quickly with your next labour.
My 1st was about 6 hours, 2nd was 9ish hours (so for me the halving thing wasn't right) and my 3rd was 51 minutes.
Everyone said that the 3rd baby/labour was the wild card and that was the case for me!

I'm glad somebody did this question! Because I literally did 3 pushes in less than 5min with my first baby. I wonder what can I expect with my second.
Labor was 7 hours (active labor between 30 min to 1 hour)

My first was 37 hours
Second was 4 hours

What on earth to expect!?!

1st was 40 hours
2nd was 5 hours

I have no idea what'll happen this time!!!!

My two labors were totally different.

First was a c-section because he was breech. Lost my plug in the morning and freaked out because it was my first and I really wasn't awake! Called the doc and he said to go to the hospital and get checked out. Told DH that I would call if necessary. He went on to work - lol. Called him at work and told him to get to the hospital. We waited for the doc to arrive then DS was born. No issues. He was a week early.
Second was a vbac. Was in labor for about 12 hours after my water broke that morning at home. Told the doc that I wanted him born that day - no way I wanted him born after midnight because that would have made his b-day on April Fool's day. Once labor got moving, it went pretty fast. Almost didn't get the epidural because it progressed so fast. He was a week late.
No two babies are the same, no two pregnancies are the same. Good luck!

OMG!!! ur words are so soothing to my soul. so i am 12 weeks gone with number 2 and i had my firts dr appointment today and he said because i had a long labour with my first (20 hrs) which ended in CS i would a;so have a long labour with the pregnancy and should forget having a VBAC. i think i need to change my DR. VBAC here i come!!!

It any of you got pitocin in the labor process? I went to the hospital with my water broke but no contraction at all so they gave me pitocin. So I wonder if this could influence for my second pregnancy if I don't get pitocin this time.
Ps. I think pitocin was the drug they gave me but I am not sure now :dohh:
Anyway it was something to try to induce contractions and was a tablet that they inserted in the vagina. :blush:

First: 12 hours
Second: 1hour 47mins
Third: 26 hours

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh