Long Haul Flight Alone With 2 Kids

LoveMyBaby786

Reaction score
Okay so I'm doing a bit of a mad one and taking the kids (both turning 3 and 5 next week) on a long haul flight back to my home country. Leaving next week after their birthdays.

Now, i have NEVER travelled alone with them and i am slightly panicking!!

The first flight is roughly 7 hours, i have exactly an hour to catch my connecting flight which is roughly 3 hours. So about 10 hours flying time altogether.

My kids are very 'loud' to put it nicely. Very energetic. I have a morning flight (night flights were costing waay too much).

Please can you all help me with what to pack to keep them entertained on board and in the airport. Any help would be appreciated thank you!

We packed two portable DVD players (incase battery runs out) and lots of their favourite DVDs, lots of snacks, coloring books and colors!! New small toys so they are more interested because they are new

It sounds crazy but I found with mine the less I pack the better they are.
I've flown with them 4 times now, and on our last flight (I was on my own with them, they are 3 and 4) all I packed was a pen and paper each. They were angels and it was great having less to carry and less to faff about with.

I've done a 6 hour car trip by myself with them and they amused themselves with absolutely nothing as well. I brought a DVD player just in case but didn't end up needing it. I find with toys they get bored of them easily after a while and then get more restless looking for the next toy.

I know this wont work for all kids, and you have a long flight time so they will probably need more than a pen and paper. What I would suggest is not to overpack toys, don't pack bulky toys or toys with loads of pieces. It can be stressful keeping track of them. Pens, paper, stickers are great, and things you don't mind getting lost along the way. I found the magnetic writers to be great as the pens are attached and you don't need loads of paper each time they want to draw something different.
Definitely bring lots of snacks.

I know most people are against this, but a lot of my friends who travel a lot and have taken long haul flights with their kids just pack tablets with headphones with lots of videos and games on them. Bring a battery pack in case the battery runs down. Try to avoid the seats in the middle of the plane (window seats are universally loved by kids - though you may need to change the seats so each kid gets a go).

One of my friends has travelled to the US and all around Asia with their toddler like that.

Bring a few snacks and buy water or juice once you get through security as the airplane might serve food too late for the kids.

I would see if your airline has special facilities for people with young children.

Air France lets you check in the Business Class counter and you get to use the priory lane for immigration.

I did an 18 hour journey with one connection on my own with my 2 year old and 3 month old. Honestly it'll be easier than you think. Just think ahead and pack activities to hold their interest. Check your airline, BA serves children's meals first if you select that option. Use reigns in the airport if it gives you peace of mind. In my experience the staff at security in the US were awful. Not one person offered to help when I was clearly struggling with my baby and toddler whilst also having to take all our shoes off etc. I ended up putting baby on the floor in one of the security basket things. In contrast at Heathrow they couldn't have been nicer. One guy held my baby, another offered to pat down my tot who was asleep in his buggy rather than wake him because he was clearly exhausted. Two lovely ladies also helped me collect my luggage, some places offer this as a service you can prebook so worth looking into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->