Long haul flight hand luggage ideas please.

Becky61

Mummy & TTC #2
Reaction score
I hate flying. I've still got two days to go but I'm already a shakey mess with a nervous tummy. This will be my first long haul flight (9-10 hours), the longest I've done being 4.5 hours. We are flying without the children. I'm just unsure what to take in my handbag? And on a shorter flight I'd normally wear make up but not sure I want to if I'm trying to sleep? And comfy clothes? Shoes? Will my feet swell? Do I need those special socks?

So far I have;

Hand sanitizer
Hand moisturiser
Lip balm
Tissues
Body spray
Magazines
Eye mask
Neck support
Ipod

TIA x

I hate flying. I've still got two days to go but I'm already a shakey mess with a nervous tummy. This will be my first long haul flight (9-10 hours), the longest I've done being 4.5 hours. We are flying without the children. I'm just unsure what to take in my handbag? And on a shorter flight I'd normally wear make up but not sure I want to if I'm trying to sleep? And comfy clothes? Shoes? Will my feet swell? Do I need those special socks?

So far I have;

Hand sanitizer
Hand moisturiser
Lip balm
Tissues
Body spray
Magazines
Eye mask
Neck support
Ipod

TIA x

The only thing i would add is some hard boiled sweets for take off and landing (it helps with popping ears), we go to Mexico on hoilday every year which is a 9-10 hour flight and my feet have never swelled up, but i make sure about every hour i go for a little walk even to the toilet and back. Without children you should have a nice peaceful flight (we take three kids!). The only time i wore flight socks was when i was pregnant as i think you are more at risk.

Can I just add a wee warning only to give boiled sweets to the adults :) I know it sounds silly and I am not aiming at the op or anyone in particular but it's something very close to my heart.

We gave our son a boiled sweet when he was 5, just as the plane was pushing back from the gate. A minute or 2 later he put his head back firm against the seat back and looked up at the TV (the TV screens were not on sat backs but coming down from overhead lockers) and his boiled sweet got caught in his throat. We were taxiing to the runway at this point and the cabin crew dragged him out of his seat and dislodged the sweet then calmly put him back into his seat, strapped him in and got back into their seats just as we lined up on the runway and the engines started to roar for take off. I was completely shaken and in shock the whole flight, it had all happened so fast and there was literally no time for them to even talk to me. It was by far the worst experience as a parent I have ever had and it is still very very fresh in my mind and that 5 year old is now 12!! Even now I get scared when I see people giving their young children boiled sweets, jack wasn't even a toddler, he was 5 and a half so I really hadn't thought anything of it. He has never had a boiled sweet (to my knowledge) since.

Can I just add a wee warning only to give boiled sweets to the adults :) I know it sounds silly and I am not aiming at the op or anyone in particular but it's something very close to my heart.

We gave our son a boiled sweet when he was 5, just as the plane was pushing back from the gate. A minute or 2 later he put his head back firm against the seat back and looked up at the TV (the TV screens were not on sat backs but coming down from overhead lockers) and his boiled sweet got caught in his throat. We were taxiing to the runway at this point and the cabin crew dragged him out of his seat and dislodged the sweet then calmly put him back into his seat, strapped him in and got back into their seats just as we lined up on the runway and the engines started to roar for take off. I was completely shaken and in shock the whole flight, it had all happened so fast and there was literally no time for them to even talk to me. It was by far the worst experience as a parent I have ever had and it is still very very fresh in my mind and that 5 year old is now 12!! Even now I get scared when I see people giving their young children boiled sweets, jack wasn't even a toddler, he was 5 and a half so I really hadn't thought anything of it. He has never had a boiled sweet (to my knowledge) since.

I am so sorry that happened, it must have been a nightmare :hugs:

I only suggested the sweets as the op pointed out she was travelling without children.

I am so sorry that happened, it must have been a nightmare :hugs:

I only suggested the sweets as the op pointed out she was travelling without children.

Of course, I did say it wasn't aimed at anyone, just the mention of boiled sweets just made me think.

Just check security rule 're hand sanitizer and body spray as they may not let certain liquids/ spray things through.

I always take a book, chargers for any laptop/ tablet type things, ear plugs as I sleep better with quiet and my own headphones for the in flight movies. Chewing gum is good too as the pressurised air can give you dry mouth.

ear plugs, good quality ones at that - nothing frays the nerve then being sat behind someone snoring their heads off in the early hours. We flew this summer on a 1 am to 4 am flight and the snoring from a few people drove me completely mad!

Definitely loose clothes, you want to be as comfy as possible.

Again I am going to reiterate the importance of ear plugs even if you think you won't need them. It is soooo noisey on those jumbos! It's like a constant whine of the engine, then the people, children, snoring. .. Omg you need good ones that are comfortable and stay in.
I take an activity book like soduku and crosswords ect. Snacks, because the meals are poverty small and you'll be hungry or bored for sure.
Headphones because their own ones that you have to buy are uncomfortable.
Blanket or extra layers because the person next to you is bound to sit with the aircon on full throttle if you don't take anything to keep you from icing over.

Thanks ladies. I survived the flight! Great suggestions.

Suzi so sorry that happened to you and your child, sounds traumatic but glad the outcome was good x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->