*LONG* Yellow Bump Turned Blue 2 days early

Mrs.Nerd

Reaction score
I don't post on here much, but felt like I wanted to share my birth story....

I woke up at 06:30am on tues 15th November with painful BHs/period pains. I told DH that I was having these pains, and although it probably didn't 'mean' anything, he should have his phone on him and maybe be prepared to come home at lunchtime.

I went out for coffee at 11, and by 1 o'clock the pains were becoming more frequent and painful. On the walk home they became more painful still, but not regular. Rang DH to ask him to come home as I was getting quite uncomfortable and starting to have to breathe through the pain. Phoned delivery and said I was having pains, but not regular, they told me to keep an eye and time it. An hour or so later the pains were 4-7mins apart, phoned delivery and they said they were still irregular.

Began to think this could be labour, but still wasn't sure. Ate some food, watched some TV, having to really concentrate through the pain. Contractions were 4-5mins apart but as they were sometimes 4, sometimes 5, we didn't think it was labour. I put on my tens machine, which I didn't like at first, but then it began to help. DH also helped by rubbing my back during contractions - possibly something to focus on.

So, we phoned delivery and said contractions were 4-5 apart, but not strictly regular, but they said as I had now called 3 times they needed to see me.

So off to hospital we go, me with my Tens machine still attached and using the boost button during contractions, neither of us thinking this was the real deal.

When we got examined, I was 4-5cms! We were both in shock, as we thought we'd get sent away.

I managed to get to 6cm without gas and air or water - mw said I was progressing well for a first labour. I then got into the water and started using G&A, and was doing really well, able to speak in between contractions etc. DH was just fabulous, and I remember him asking if there was anything he could do, and I asked for a hug.

I then got to 8-9cm quite quickly, but then seemed to stay there for ages!! I then asked to get out the water because I wanted to be examined before pushing. So I was on the bed at 9cm, and the pain began to kick in. MW said contractions weren't more painful, I was just getting more tired. I asked for an injection as the pain was really quite bad, so I got pethidine which luckily didn't make me feel sick.

The mw then offered to break my waters, as the pressure in my bum was just immense! She barely touched them though and they finally broke. I then had to stop myself from pushing, which was hard.

When it came to the pushing stage though I just didn't know what to do! I was really struggling and didn't know how to push :(

When the head started crowning, there was meconium, so both the baby and myself had to be monitored, which I really didn't like as when I pushed, his monitor stopped, which they said was normal, but I didn't like it.

I then really began to struggle with pushing - it really hurt and I just didn't know how to push :( I ended up having an episiotomy and ventouse. FINALLY right at the end I understood just how hard I had to push, and with just a few more pushes our son was born! DH began crying straight away, but I was just in pure shock as our son was laid on my chest.

Unfortunately I suffered a 3rd degree tear and had to be stitched up in theatre, and had to have a spinal for this. I found this more distressing than the labour tbh, as I just wanted to be with our baby and DH.

An hour in theatre later and I was back in the delivery room with our son Sebastian Francis Austin Smith, 7lb12oz, 2.56am 16th November.

We had real issues breastfeeding unfortunately: my positioning was great as was my supply, but Sebastian just would not latch on. I was in hospital for 2 nights and 3 days trying to establish breastfeeding, but he would only latch on with a LOT of help from the midwives, and there just wasn't enough staff to give me the support I needed.

Obviously I wouldn't have been let out of hospital unless feeding had been established, and by this point I'd had about 6 hours sleep from Monday night to Friday afternoon. I was exhausted and wanted to go home. So we decided to formula feed our little guy. It wasn't in our plans, but as soon as I had made the decision, I instantly felt happier.

We are settling in well at home, it's taken us some time to find our feet with formula feeding, but we are getting there.

And despite the 3rd degree tear and difficult delivery, I can honestly say I almost enjoyed the labour. It hasn't put me off having more children, and I am able to be up and about quite a bit (a lot of people have said they're quite surprised at how mobile I am). I've still yet to catch up on sleep, but never mind!

Sorry for the long read xxx

Congrats on your little one, sounds very painful but so worth it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenyawenya
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"