'Look at his cheeks'

aimee-lou

Totally Outnumbered!!
Reaction score
Ok -
I may just be being over-sensitive about this, but I don't know how to take this comment anymore.

Earl is 2 months old (9 weeks tomorrow) and weighs 14lb. He is 63cm long so is not a small boy! I'll admit he has the cutest chubby cheeks and a double chin, he has had them since birth so they've always been visible. It just seems that people only comment on the size of his cheeks and it's starting to make me feel uncomfortable tbh.

I've put a piccy or two up to illustrate but I was wondering if anyone else feels a bit put off by these comments? Or am I just being overly protective? :dohh:

Attachments

• In the snow 2.jpg
    In the snow 2.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Christmas morning.JPG
    Christmas morning.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Our favourite!.jpg
    Our favourite!.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Smile!.jpg
    Smile!.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 49
I'm sure they mean it in the nice way, and are just unaware everyone say that so its annoying too you. With Finn, its his eyes, I always get how big his eyes are and how longs the lashes are, and how he looks like me. But that's not annoying because its not tied up with weight which we are sensitive about in the west. But babies are meant to be chubby and I do want to chub his cheeks, he's a cutie!!

i agree , he is gorgeous , and he does have the lovelyest chubby cheeks , i wouldnt take offense, hes lovely :)

its prob because lots of people are saying it, if just one person said it im sure you would not be upset and to them it is just one person saying it, they dont realise lots of others have said it iykwim, i think he has lovely cheeks, he is a real cutey xx

Aww he's so cute! My Lily was a very lovley chubby baby with big cheeks and I had an awful lot of comments on it, just took it with a pinch of salt really- I knew how beautiful my baby girl was :cloud9:
xx

Oh isnt he adorable !!! Personally i think his cheeks look like any other baby cheeks dont they ?? My lil one is only small but has the chubby cheeks and 2 chins and everyone always mentions them but most babies do right ? and its a good thing! id rather have a chubby baby showing that shes eating well !!

Dont worry hun, it used to bug me at 1st but i love her chubby cheeks and 2 chins... !! You have a cute lil boy there and by the looks of him im sure no one is meaning it in a nasty way :hugs: xx

Aaaw he is just lovely! And he has gorgeous eyes too. Our LO has had the same comments recently, my brother hadnt seen him in a month and he has recently really filled out and got a bit chunkier, and he too has chubby cheeks and a double chin- my brother said "what has happened?! Look at those chubby cheeks!!" - I didn't take offence though because I know he isn't fat, he just has a cute chubby face!

I got more annoyed on Xmas day that my OH's grandad literally did not put him down, and I got no cuddles whatsoever! But that is me overreacting apparently...

Your little boy is absolutely gorgeous and his cheeks are very cute. Maybe people comment on it because there's something about babies chubby cheeks that are just sooo sweet!

When my niece was a baby she had the biggest, chubbiest cheeks I've ever seen, they were like down to her shoulders! The first thing the Midwife said when her head was out was 'well they've definitely got cheeks'! She was a very very cute baby and is now a lovely 7 year old with no chubby cheeks at all.

Firstly... squee! How cute is your baby? Aimee-Lou, he's gorgeous :)

To actually reply to you properly :)blush:), I can see why it must get annoying after a while that person after person seems to focus on this one feature. I think his lovely chubby cheeks are a real part of his charm, without being anything to be concerned about (does that make sense?).

I understand how it feels, as almost everyone's first comment to me about Romilly is "Oh, she's so tiny!". As someone else said, we are sensitive to comments which relate to baby's weight, as we have it drilled in how important it is (to the medics).

I had 2 small babies then my 3rd was 7lb 3 he wasnt exactly big but his cheeks were huge.... at the time ppl commenting on it drove me nuts and i hated it.... but now when i look back on pics he did have big chubby cheeks BUT i still think its rude people comment, you wouldnt go up to a big women and man and say hey you have fat cheeks, so yeah i get offended/annoyed when it happened with our son ;) xx

I still get the ''is it a boy or girl?'' comments which really grates! Summer is obviously a girl and nearly always has something pink or girly on!!!! She had a pink blanket on her one day and i was still asked whether she was a boy or girl!!!!!

As he gets older he'll even out :) Summer used to have podge everywhere but now she's in good proportion :) xx

Aimee, Earl is stunning :D

I know my hubby hated people saying that to him when he was a wee one... and pinching him - he learnt a good frown in response I believe ;)

I'm sure people mean no harm, and don't mean 'fat' at all, babies are meant to look like this, so in a sense its a very positive observation and intent... but I know how these repeative things really do get to a person.

*squeeze*

Thanks everyone - I think when you hear it over and over and over and over it becomes annoying.....one person actually said 'It looks like he's storing nuts for winter!' :growlmad:

But he is absolutely gorgeous.....gets his looks from his daddy! Both my and hubby were larger babies so I suppose it should be expected....but it's a bit grating so thanks everyone. :thumbup::flower:

Ohh he's adorable! :D

I wouldn't be too concerned about what they say as like the other ladies have mentioned, babies are like this. We all tend to be extra sensitive when it comes to our little ones! I tend to get sensitive about comments on Christian's weight and how he's big for his age. That and people telling me to put mittens on his hands all the time (no, he soothes himself with both his hands, thank you very much).

Ah, he is soooooo cute!!! And yes he has chubby cheeks but he's a baby and he's allowed :) I thought lots of baby's do. But he certainly is an adorable little man Aimee, you must be very proud.

Chloe was only 7lb 7ox (now 11lb 7oz) and look at her chubby chops......lol!

37.jpg

003.jpg

What a gorgeous little one! He's completely adorable. I am so hoping my little one will have proper 'baby' cheeks (I did when I was little, and so did hubby) - I find them ridiculously cute. I'm sure most people are making comments because big cheeks are commonly seen as one of the defining features of baby 'cuteness', and when they make comments they are therefore really complimenting your little Earl.

My niece had enormous cheeks when she was little and I remember a male work colleague (a fairly new father himself) completely melting over them when my sister brought her to visit my workplace when she was about 6 months old. He kept cooing over the baby and saying 'look at those cheeks!!' and my sister only took his comments in a positive way (I know he'd have been terribly upset if she had misinterpreted them as negative).

Another thing - I find a little double chin on a bubba so sweet as well. Babies are so adorable with their little rolls. So try to view the comments as a positive thing :)

Ignore any comments that definitely seem negative (although I appreciate it must be really annoying and hurtful). The most important thing is that you have a genuinely gorgeous little baby and I only hope my little one comes out as healthy and cute as yours :)

He's gorgeous!!! I think people feel that they have to comment on something when a see a baby, Brady is 14lbs as well so I always get comments on how big he is, especially as my best friends baby is 2 days younger than Brady and only weighs 10lb 10. I tend to just filter it all out now, they're always so pleased with him at the baby clinic because he's exactly on the 75th centile and following the growth curve lovely. I don't know why people would think he would be dinky, I'm 5' 8 and his dad is 6' 3!

Earl looks and sounds like he's a lovely healthy baby which is all that matters.

Eli's a really big baby and people always comment on how huge is he. I try not to let it bother me...he is really big. Hehe. And he's super cute. So I don't care what they say!

Awww his cheeks are gorgeous, I have the same thing with Olivia but I think they are gorgeous, just take it with a pinch of salt, most folk are meaning it in a good way.

Earl is gorgeous- I especially love the smile in the last pic :) The chubbier the better, I say! Of course, I've got a chunky monkey too so I'm a bit biased perhaps :) I understand how somedays it's annoying to hear the "wow, that's big for only x weeks old" comments though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->