Looking for advice: artist working with toxic materials

Nadja86

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post on here. I am at about 5 weeks, this is my first pregnancy, and I've been feeling generally overwhelmed (full disclosure: I have a history of anxiety and tend to overthink and worry excessively). Lately I have been having some concerns because I am a ceramic artist and I am afraid of working with a lot of the materials we have in the studio. In particular, my studio mate has a small bag of lead in his collection of raw materials, and I am petrified of even going into the studio for fear of the tiniest amount of dust. He has never used it, it's just sitting there, but I still can't help but worry that there could be traces of dust around the studio from it.

Am I overreacting? Should I tell him to seal the bag or take it out of the studio all together? I am worried that even if he moves it will create dust and could be a major hazard. I am planning on leaving the studio due to my pregnancy and eventual mat leave anyway, but all of my things are in there and I am petrified of any potential contamination. :sad1:

Any input would be appreciated.

Hello! I am an artist too, although I am a painter and don't work with ceramics. As far as I remember from college, the reason why glazes are so dangerous are because it is essentially microscopic pieces of glass. So it has the potential to get into your lungs and cause irritation. If it were me, I would continue making art. It's great for you, relaxing, therapeutic, and hopefully a happy time, and I feel like mommies need all those moments we can get.

I would just take some extra precautions, like working in a ventilated area, wearing a mask that is designed to catch the smallest particles, and washing your hands after you are done. I also wouldn't eat or drink in the studio.

Those are basically the same things I do with oil paints, and I ask my husband to clean my brushes for me. I'm sure there are some brands that are available that might be less toxic too.

Happy art making! I'd love to see your work :) Hope my advice helps a little.

I just re-read and saw that there was lead in your studio. I would ask them too move it too. They should understand, especially if they aren't using it. As long as you don't touch it, and the bag stays close while he moves it, I would think you would be fine to work in that space.

Thanks for your input Asrai

So you wouldn't be too worried about any potential traces of dust? Everything I've read seems to say that even a small amount is harmful, and I can't help but worry that a tiny amount snuk out of the bag at some point... or maybe it's just my anxiety talking :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->