Looking for positive stories please, put back nearly 2 weeks at early scan :(

bubbles82

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Hope this is ok to post in here, I posted in 1st tri yesterday but only had a few responses, thought it might be more helpful to post in here for advice from those who've actually had later scans.

I had a private early scan yesterday afternoon, for reassurance after two previous losses, but I have left feeling so worried and not reassured at all. I have my dates worked out at 7+5, and I'm very certain on this due to tracking ovulation etc. The sonographer was very positive and said everything looked fine, baby was there with a heartbeat, but she said I was off with my dates and had obviously ovulated later than I thought, baby measured between 5 and 6 weeks. I told her it wasn't possible for my dates to be so far out, so she took the measurements again a few times, but the furthest along she could get was 6+1. I could understand there being a few days either way for early or late implantation, or if I was just going by LMP, but I'd already had a positive HPT by the date she was saying I must've conceived. I don't really think I have any margin for late implantation either as I got my BFP early at 8dpo.
The scan was only done abdominally, she offered to do an internal one but I asked if this would be any more accurate and she said no it would give the same result, so it seemed pointless. I had started to doubt her skills by this point so didn't really want her interfering down there to be honest.

It just doesn't make sense to me for the dates to be so far out, I know the exact date I ovulated, and haven't even had sex since then so it's impossible that I could have conceived two weeks later. By the dates from the scan, I would've conceived after 9th October, but I got my BFP on the 7th so it just doesn't add up.

I can't help but think the worst, has anyone else had a similar situation and things have turned out OK by their usual scan?

Hmm all I can say is I had an nhs scan and put me at 8weeks on the Friday we already had paid for a private one for the Sunday and this put me at 7+2 which would of been a whole week out!!! Anyway my 12 week dating scan put me at the same the 1st scan did I was worrying also !! I would say try not too because end of the day she could measure baby differently to someone else xxx

The first scan I had was my standard NHS 12 week scan. It was booked for when I would have been 12+4. Rocked up, filled my bladder, had my scan. Got dated at 8+4, went back 3 weeks and 2 days later, dated 11+6.

Booked a private gender scan for when I should have been 16+5 by scan dates, and sure enough I was dated 16+5 exactly. I'm now 25+3 and everything is perfect. Sometimes I think we get so hung up on what we think we know that we don't open ourselves up to the possibility of science not falling in line with what we expect.

So based on my experience yes it's possible to be waaaaaay out. Me and DH often joke that I must have tested the minute the sperm hit the egg :rofl:

Hi,
I also paid for a private early scan, I had worked my dates to be 8weeks+ from using opks and when I first got a + hpt. But when I had my scan they only measured me at 7 weeks...I was a nervous wreck! Especially when they noticed a second small unknown blob next to baby! I was asked to go back a week later..
A week later baby was measuring 8weeks...
Had 2 NHS scans since and baby continues to measure spot on the dates they have me at my provite scans...although it doesn't make sense to my original dates..baby is perfectly fine in there and growing perfectly!

I'm hoping that maybe he will come a week early?! Instead of going over which is common for FTMs? Lol

I think some babies are just slow starters lol as long as they are healthly that's all that matters I'm sure your baby will be just as perfect :hugs:
Xx

In the beginning, every baby grows at a different rate. Like others have said happened to them, your baby will most likely catch up to something closer to the dates you have once you hit second tri. I know it's hard since the first trimester is basically all about worrying, but try to focus on the positive part that she did find a baby and a heartbeat, that's the most important part! Good luck :flower:

I don't have experience of this but I would say that as she found a healthy heart beat, I'd try not to worry about dates. If it reassures you perhaps you can get an early scan on the NHS at the Early Pregnancy Unit? I would say that after two losses, if you say you are worried, they should be able to fit you in. Good luck and try not to stress x

I don't have experience of this but I would say that as she found a healthy heart beat, I'd try not to worry about dates. If it reassures you perhaps you can get an early scan on the NHS at the Early Pregnancy Unit? I would say that after two losses, if you say you are worried, they should be able to fit you in. Good luck and try not to stress x

Thank you. I can only self refer to my EPU if I've had problems like bleeding or pain. They made it clear last time I was there that I can't just go there for reassurance scans, which is why I paid for the private one which just happened to not be reassuring in the slightest. Plus I only have one previous loss officially recorded in my medical history, the first one was very quick and very obvious and didn't require any medical intervention, so I didn't feel the need to see anyone about it at the time. Would've done if I'd known how things would go in the future.

Hi,

I went for a scan at what I thought was 6 weeks 3 days. I tracked ovulation with my temps and opks and was certain I knew my dates.

The baby measured 3mm and they put my dates at 5 weeks 5 days. I was worried for 2 weeks thinking the baby was too small (I've had a previous missed misscarriage).

At my 8 week scan baby measured 2 days behind my date, at the 10 week scan baby measured 1 day behind my date and then at the 12 week scan they did two measurements, one which would have put me 4 days ahead of my date (so a total of 9 days difference from my first scan) and the second was just 2 days ahead, so I asked them to go with as I believe it's the most accurate.

Just wanted you to know the baby can catch up xx

Thanks for your reply but this wasn't the case for me, I went for another private scan 10 days later when I should've been 9+1, baby was measuring 6+2 and there was no longer a heartbeat. I've been messed about in many ways since, but currently going through a medically managed miscarriage, this is my 3rd loss but they are still not treating it as significant and worthy of any further testing due to it not being three consecutive.

I'm sorry for your loss. With my mmc I had the same. I saw a baby with a heartbeat at an early scan but baby was not measuring correctly either. I knew when I ovulated with a positive ovulation test. The sonographer also said I must ovulated on a date I had a positive hpt.

Could you try a different ob/re? I have had three losses but not in a row and I found a kind ob who lied on the blood test forms saying i had three in a row so I could get testing. It turns out all my tests cane back fine.

What no. Of weeks were you when you Mc? My ob said if it happens at the same time each time it can be indicative of a specific problem. Because mine were all at different weeks then it was unlikely to be a specific issue which the blood tests showed.

I'm in the UK so we don't have access to ob/re as standard.

I think my first two losses were around 5 weeks, and this was was 10 weeks but baby only developed to just over 6 weeks in size, although there was still a heartbeat at my scan at 7+5. So I'm not sure if I have a problem that kicks in around 5-6 weeks or if it's just bad luck/coincidence. Although I know a lot of the possible problems have been ruled out by me having my DD, making them even less likely to show any interest or help here.

Bubbles - good luck with your ttc. I'm sorry to hear you are encountering obstacles. The three Mc in a row rule is so frustrating. I went to an ob privately but I guess I was lucky she was helpful as she may not have been.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->