Looking for some Home / Hypnobirth advice.

M

mummyclo

Hi :flower:
I know I'm over here quite early but I knew after my son was born that I didn't want to both in hospital again (mostly about the aftercare and I hate hospitals)

Anyway I'm thinking of doing hypnobirthing and hiring a pool.
When do I need to think about starting Hypnobirthing? Anyone done it without te classes? As there's none near me at all! :(

My Aunty is my midwife and she was a huge help last time and just went with the flow and let me push for longer than I would have been allowed etc but I got him out on my own :cloud9:

I just really want to get my head around it all this time BUT also prepare for he eventuality of having to go to hospital like I did last time.

Thanks x

Hi

I might not be the best person to advise because I haven't had my baby yet! Hopefully someone more experienced than me will be along shortly.

I'm doing the Maggie Howell Natal Hypno therapy CDs. I did do a course, which I would totally recommend if you can find one, but if you cant I know there are plenty of people that do it by reading the book and just listening to the CDs.

You can read the book whenever you like, but I was told to start the birth prep CD at about 32 weeks (3 times a week) and increase to daily at around 38 weeks.

If you want to do something now, I would recommend the pregnancy relaxation CD from the same series, it has the same triggers and would get you started. It will also help if you have any anxiety at the moment.

I don't know a lot about home birth as I'm not going down that road, but I know there are a couple of support groups local to me, a home birth one and a birth choice one. Is there anything like that near you? [URL="https://www.homebirth.org.]This[/URL] is a good reference site.

Have you thought about a midwife led unit? Not that there is anything wrong with home birth, but it might be another option if you're worried about hospital. I have my own reasons for wanting to avoid hospital so have made a plan using the local midwife led unit, and if I need an extended (non medical) stay there is another midwife led unit I can transfer to.

Hi, thanks for that! I like the idea of starting early so I think I'll get the CDs and start on the relaxation as I'm a bit anxious at the moment (normal 1st tri worries!)
We dont have a midwife led unit here only a hospital and I live on an island so traveling to anywhere else didn't an option unfortunately :(
Thanks for the link will have a nosy now!

I also haven't had my baby yet obviously, but I too am using Natal Hypnotherapy. I've been doing the relaxation CD since probably about 7 weeks and it's been really great. I can absolutely see how the relaxation and breathing techniques I've learned so far would be massively helpful. I'm taking the class right around 28 weeks and then will start practicing daily with the birth CD. I don't know if it would be an option where you are, but everyone I know whose had a home birth strongly recommended hiring a doula. We have and I've met with her twice already to discuss my birth preparation and it's been really wonderful. Obviously here, you never know who will actually be on call to attend your birth, so having a familiar face to support me who is confident and experienced with home birth will, I think, make a real difference. Every time I talk to her I just feel very re-affirmed that home birth is the right option for us and that we are in great hands.

Other than that, just learning as much as I can able natural and home birth has been great. The Effective Birth Preparation book by Maggie Howell was really helpful, as was Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth.

I loved hypnobirthing with my second. I didn't do it strictly, I just took the elements that resonated with me, without doing a classs or anything. It was very helpful and I managed with water for relief and some gas and air right at the end. It was a great birth :)

What a lovely birth story Madasa. I want one like yours! X

I've just finished a Hypnobirthing class at my local hospital, but I do think if you get hold of the book and CDs you could easily teach yourself the techniques, just make sure you leave enough time to practise! :)

We're in first tri together :) I had a homebirth last time but didn't do hypnobirthing. Will be doing it this time though. Would love to go to classes but they're quite expensive so I'll have a look at some books and CDs.
Also I found pregnancy yoga was good, I went to classes last time and they taught me some good labouring positions and breathing techniques and did lots of relaxation there. Also helped with my backache x

I used Natal Hypnotherapy, and it was great :) I'd say that if you're going to do their 4 cd programme (which I'd recommend if you're not able to do courses), then you could start with the pregnancy relaxation now. I'd also say to get the book and start reading it now. HTH :)

I never did any hypnotherapy/classes (which imo is just fine!) but I will say that having a bad experience at the hospital the 1st time was ultimately my best motivator in getting through the natural birth, in fact things like epidural never even crossed my mind because I was in "MY" environment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->