Loosing my hair!

Sophm88

Reaction score
Please tell me I am not the only one! It is coming out in handfuls when I wash/brush it! It is so much thinner and I can see more of my scalp! :cry: My hair got thicker and shinier with DD!

Anyone have any recommendations on how to prevent it or help it grow?

Don't worry, you're not alone and this is a pregnancy thing. I lost hair with every wash in clumps with my DS but within a week of giving birth it was growing back and I had loads of new regrowth. It took quite a few months for the hair to grow long enough to be cut back into my shoulder length bob but it does come back. This was actually my first pg symptom with this pregnancy at 10 dpo when I washed my hair and it covered my fingers and that never happens. Sadly there's nothing we can do but do be reassured that it will all come back pretty much immediately after giving birth 😊

:hugs: thank you for the reassurance. I am glad I am not alone! Did you start having bald patches or did it never get that bad? I am praying it slows down soon!!

No it never got that bad and I have fine hair to begin with. I actually had no idea how much had fallen out until it started growing back. All around my hairline on my forehead grew a whole new layer of hair and I hadn't noticed it was gone! Seriously don't worry, it's just a pregno thing, there's enough other stuff to be thinking about 😊💇

Right there with you! I lose a lot of hair plus they are really dry and really hard to brush through also! I am ready to cut them off at this point but can't be near the smell of the hair salon! So I'll have to hang in there!

Soph, if you're losing strands at the base there's not a lot you can do, aside from being careful not to inadvertently pull them out. Pregnancy messes with your growth cycles and it's likely those strands' growth cycles were ended prematurely. Here is some advice for protecting length.

If you're losing length down the shaft you can use the same advice as long hairs. I am one. I've had hair to my butt. Currently down to the small of my back, when I cut it to bra strap length a year and a half ago for my wedding. My hair grows FAST! (It's also getting annoying and I'll probably cut it back to bra strap soon. :haha:)

Wash your hair less often. (If you wash less often your hair will start taking longer to get greasy. Your body will learn not to overproduce nourishing sebum on your scalp. Washing also dries it out and makes it brittle. I tend to pin it up so I can wash the rest of me more often.) Try to find ways around brushing it roughly with a hair brush, like braiding while you sleep and not roughly handling it coming out of the shower. Use fewer elastic bands as these weaken the shaft around the tie point. (I used to bun my hair using spin pins, look them up) Comb instead of brushing when possible. (I actually lack the patience for this) Do not brush when wet if you can help it. Don't use heat if you can help it, though blow drying before brushing is often better overall. Your hair is more likely to stretch and snap when wet. Also if you're like me, it clings to itself and just retangles. You can carefully comb when wet.

Also, trim less often. Those people who say trimming speeds growth? Liars. Your hair grows no faster because you trimmed it. You're better off preventing split ends and trimming less often.

Some people react better to different hair products too. You might consider finding conditioner that omits silicons for example, as it can leave buildup. Other people find the silicons do them good.

As a side note the length of your growth cycle (which indicates terminal length for your hair) is largely genetic, though as I said pregnancy hormones can sometimes lengthen these or cut them short. I believe the average growth cycle for human head hair is between 2 and 6 years. (and the rest of your body a couple months. :p)

Thanks ladies, I am glad I am not alone! :hugs: I am going to have a trim on the weekend just so it is more manageable - I haven't been to the hairdressers in at least 6 months and it is looking awful!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->