Losing weight healthily during pregnancy

ashxd

Reaction score
I am 5 weeks tomorrow and I am probably 70 pounds overweight (I was losing weight when I got pregnant, don't judge). I don't wanna hear about it not being safe to lose weight during pregnancy, blah blah blah. I'm not going to starve myself or anything crazy. I'm just exercising and eating better, as I was before my bfp. Did anyone else lose weight or at least try? I'm curious to see what others ate because I'm struggling already with snacking.

Favorite healthy snacks?
Favorite exercise?

Well, to be honest - I think you are just going to manage not to gain much weight (rather than lose) throughout the pregnancy...if you want to stay healthy.You might be able to lose a few pounds initially, but they'll creep back on soon enough. If you decide to breastfeed - that really helps with weight loss post birth.

I think it's gonna be more maintenance of the weight. I'm 8 week now and haven't gained a pound. I give it to cutting out soda when I found out. I've had maybe can and a half since finding out 3 weeks ago. No junk food. If it's a fast food night it's salads or chicken of some kind. Just healthy eating. I work retail so I am walking, stocking shelves, bending from 4-7.5 hours 5 days a week. Good luck to you healthy weight loss. It does happen in pregnancy.

I'm wanting to lose weight during this pregnancy too, and luckily atm I have horrendous nausea so I can't stomach food, I force down the essentials but I used to eat snacks all the time and now I don't! I have a good 3 stone to lose to be within a perfect bmi but I've only just had (8months ago) my ds so I've struggled to lose my baby weight! Feeling positive about it though! Xxx

Definitely agree with the others. Just aim to maintain your weight during this pregnancy, and lose the weight afterwards.

Snack on things like fruit, carrots, celery, homemade popcorn, nuts (walnuts are especially good for pregnancy!) and yogurt.

I walk a lot and it works for me. I don't like any other sort of exercise! Maybe try walking to work/not using your car when possible? And count your calories. You could make sure you eat only 2000/1700 depending on your BMR in the first and second trimester, as you don't actually need extra calories until the third trimester, and then you only need about 200 extra. I'm guessing if you're 70lbs overweight that you eat more than 2000 at the moment, so with that amount you'd not only be healthy but probably lose weight too.

Slimming world is seen as okay to follow during pregnancy so if you follow a similar sort of thing then I'm sure you will be fine x

Agreed that it sounds like you just want to maintain, or be cautious. Just choose your food and snacks healthily. So many pregnant women give in to their food cravings so easily (sometimes it's ok) but I've heard people that are 5 weeks saying "baby wants it" and "eating for two". No. You want it lol. So just try not to get into that mentality and you will be fine. Exercise is also crucial! Waking, stretches, weights. Anything! :)

I actually had this convo the other day with a midwife as technically I'm classed as obese but I weight less now at 13 weeks than I did when I got my BFP.
She said in women who carry a little more weight it isn't uncommon for them to gain little or no weight during pregnancy if they change to healthier eating habits.
Also exercise if it's something you did prior to getting BFP is encouraged due to it helping build up strength and stamina for labour. You may just find at some point you need to tone down the intensity due to breathlessness or keeping heart rate and body temp with in safe range.
Walking and swimming are considered safe but you should always consult proffesionals before starting any new work out or exercise.
I think common sense is a big indicator also if something seems as it would be unsafe it prob is.

You may find a healthier diets is also easier on ur insides. I had to stop eating junk or unhealthy food weeks ago cos it kept making me ill or I could smell/taste the fat which make me feel awfully sick.

I'd say carry on as you are and if anyone medically trained things your doing something wrong or gone a little too far they will be straight on ur case xx

hmmm i dont know if ill be much help as i have trouble gaining and KEEPING the weight i gain. im currently 118 and 5'2 so im not necessarily underweight, just petite. i was 124 before finding out i was pregnant and i wasnt sick like throwing up in the first trimester, but when i increased my water intake, i immediately lost 6 and a half pounds in one week and i dont even exercise. i just walk whenever i get up for food. which is awful... i need to exercise more like my own mommy does. so i will. anyway, if you drink a lot of water, i think it'll help you lose weight too. i wasnt trying to lose weight and so far the only weight ive gained is 5 ounces and thats exactly how much baby weighs according to the OB/sonographers.

I am 5 weeks tomorrow and I am probably 70 pounds overweight (I was losing weight when I got pregnant, don't judge). I don't wanna hear about it not being safe to lose weight during pregnancy, blah blah blah. I'm not going to starve myself or anything crazy. I'm just exercising and eating better, as I was before my bfp. Did anyone else lose weight or at least try? I'm curious to see what others ate because I'm struggling already with snacking.

Favorite healthy snacks?
Favorite exercise?

I am the same but have been going to slimming world and you can still go while pregnant it is supported by the college of midwife's

During my pregnancy I was very conscious of what I was eating and was walking every night I gained 21lb but 1 day pp was only 2lb heavier than pre pregnancy and by 1-2 weeks pp i was 7lb lighter, tbh I wouldn't worry about the number during pregnancy just keep doing what your doing and concentrate on the number after pregnancy x

When I got pregnant, I looked at what caused me to gain weight in the first and just cut it out completely. I also ate like normal during the first two trimesters, and a little more in the third. Didn't gain any weight until the third trimester when she went through her growth spurt for birth, and ended up 14 lbs over starting weight. It was gone as soon as I gave birth, which was fantastic. At my one week checkup I was 5 lbs under my pre-pregnancy weight. :happydance: I counted calories and started walking/increasing exercise, and was able to lose 30+ lbs by one year postpartum.

Talk to your OB and see what they recommend. The one I saw in Cleveland back when I was living in Ohio just told me not to gain more than 25 lbs, and to buy a scale to keep my on track.

I recommend joining MyFitnessPal to keep track of what you eat. There's also a fit pregnancy group on there where you can join other women either losing or watching their weight during pregnancy. Try to snack on protein as it will keep you fuller longer, and drink plenty of water! :flower:

You might be surprised. I'm fat. I don't personally use the term overweight or obese for myself but if u want to get technical that's what I am. In all 5 previous pregnancies I have lost weight and only started to gain a little towards the end but usually end up either pre pregnancy weight or a couple pounds over. After I have the baby I usually look my best because I drop a good 20 lbs (baby + blood + placenta etc) I don't watch what I eat during pregnancy other than things that could harm the baby but I do drink way more water and eat way smaller portions. My last pregnancy the last few weeks all I wanted was Wendy's burgers and I didn't gain a pound. It's like my body protects itself while I'm pregnant. Personally I wouldn't stress over it. U can eat healthy and exercise lightly. But don't beat yourself up if u crave a treat or what not. That's very normal!

I think its possible. There are many pregnant women that get diagnosed with gestational diabetes and are forced to follow a healthier diet. I know of one girl who had to follow that diet and she actually lost some weight. As long as you are getting the calories that the baby needs.

I am hoping myself that I don't gain as much this time around, I am starting this pregnancy heavier than my last one!

:hi:

I was trying to loose weight before the :bfp: and now I still am. I am eating well and moving a lot, just wanted to say don't give up on your goal to be healthier.

I think if you eat healthy and continue with moderate exercise you will be fine. I started my pregnancy about 50 pounds overweight, lost 10 pounds my first trimester, and since September have only put on 2 pounds. I am about 24 weeks pregnant. My doctor wasn't worried at the 20 week scan, but to be honest I'm a little worried. But my Dr. said I should not gain as much weight because i was already overweight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->