Lots of questions. Finally getting to let my preemie latch on

Foxybabyhg3

Mamma to Skylar TTC #2
Reaction score
Hi

My 29+4 preemie is now 36+2, we've had a few tummy issues on the way causing her to come of her milk (via NG tube). She had an infection 3 weeks ago and was very ill, I didn't pump for 3 days. Well, I'm paying for it now. Feel like a failure as just signed a doc so they can give her donated BM, which I know is still good but it's not mine :cry: she's on 11ml an hr and I'm only getting 30ml every 3hrs, I'm on Domperidone, had the cookies, just started the tea. I'm pumping 3 hrly as well as cluster pumping between 10:30pm and 1am-I've brought it upto 30ml from 5ml so some progress. So any other advice would be gratefully received.

My other thing is we're letting her try to latch-she's still very tiny at 3lb 3oz so it's really her just trying just now. She's been rooting for weeks. Anyway, my nips are flat, takes a while to get a wee bump of a nipple for her to grab on to, I still don't think it's enough. I'm also a big girl with 42DD boobs. I'm just looking for tips to help her stay on. She sucks 3 times then arches her back and screams, I think it's frustration as there's nothing coming after 3 sucks. Again I'd love some advice from you ladies

Hey! Congratulations on making it this far!

Are you pumping at night as well as during the day?

Have you tried nipple shields to help her get the hang of latching?

Have you looked at the Kellymom website? There is tons of useful information there!

Sorry I don't have much other advise! Hopefully LO is able to latch soon!

Maybe start pumping for a few minutes to get the flow started and the nipple coming out more and then try to latch?

Also as much skin-to-skin contact that she can manage.

Don't feel like a failure! You are doing a good job and at least she is getting breastmilk, even if it's not yours. :)

Thanks ladies

Bought the Medela shields & a Lanisoh nipple extractor-don't know proper name but that's what it does lol. Upto 40ml now. I pump at 4am, 8am, 11am, 2pm, 5pm, 7:30pm & 10:30pm. Is that enough? Just started double pumping too, took ages to get hang of it.

As she's in hospital I was staying at their charity house but she's no longer in ITU so am at home. I can't get there till 1pm, so there was a few hrs shortfall(I used to take the milk in at 9am and I never really got ahead of her) and they used donor milk, but I'm ok with it as I've got ahead now. She's now on 2hrly feeds of 24ml and I'm currently a little ahead :)

Hope to try latching again today with the help of my new toys. Just a bit daunting in a room with 5 other babies and just screens round. If I was established, I wouldn't care, but the beginning and 1st latches I don't like the thought of other people being around (other parents). I won't even express by the bedside because of this. Can't wait for a room on our own so I'll be more relaxed and then she will be too

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->