love/hate BFing at 1yr

MissyMojo

Army Wife, Mam & BFP
Reaction score
even as i write this i dont know if im looking for Encouragement to continue, or advice on how to stop.

lately im becoming frustrated with how often M wants to BF, 4-6 times a day (not inc any night feeds he decides to throw in) and its not usually for a proper feed, just quick mouthfuls whilst wriggling and slapping or pinching me

since getting a few more teeth (he has 7) his latch has changed and he just takes the nipple only and im getting cut on his sharp teeth and no matter the position he seems to catch me

but when he settles in for a proper feed its lovely, he cuddles in and doesnt bite and has a proper guzzle, then either falls asleep (nap time/bedtime) or is content and happy again

i know the benefits of BFing and want the best for him hence my reluctance to just stop, but i dont know how much more abuse my boobs and me can take

Do you feed on demand? And if so, have you thought about a schedule?
How is he with cups/solids?

On demand, he will take a cup but only a mouthful or two, with solids he doesnt eat as much as othrt babies his age, i fear hes too full on booby juice

i could have written this myself…the problem with getting my LO on a schedule is that she's still too young to understand "it's not time to nurse" she'll flip out and understandably as she loves her milky mom time so i don't want to take it away from her…but i know i need to. so frustrating.

babyjiva, theyre only a day apart :D

today i skipped his bf on waking nstead offereing breakfast once he was dressed, he ate more than usual and asked for boob at 9, he had it nicely :)

then weve been out for the morning and he had some lunch in a cafe, some cucumber tomatos curly fries bread ad bacon, a few bites from each, and some flapjack which he seemed to love,

got home at 12:15 and he was showing tired signs so gave boob and he was well behaved ad is now napping and has been an hour or so.... hopefully getting him into a routine of feeding wont be tooo bad.......

We are kind of like this too. My lo wants to be on and off the boob half the day but only having a proper feed a few of the times.

if your LO does all that, he is not really interested in nursing. take him off and tell him no biting (or pinching or whatever) and move on to other things.

after discussing it with Hubby and Health visitor , i've come to the conclusion that im going to very slowly wean and aim to be off the boob by 18m.

i've managed to get him to take him down to 3 (day)feeds, a morning, nap and bedtime and then watever he requires by night,
the mornng feed seems the one hes less fussed about, bt he seems to need the feeds to sleep/nap, so we're going to take it slow.

I feel your pain :( Jessica is a dream to feed when she is sleepy, but when she wants booby, and is wide awake during the day I get pinched to death! It really hurts sometimes, when she takes a handful, and digs her nails in ! She also fidgits, and throws herself around, which is funny to watch, but quite exhausting lol.

I think I will wait until she is a year old, then gradually cut down during the day, and stick with the evening/night feeds for a while longer.

It's so hard isn't it? I can't bare the thought of stopping yet. I love it when she has a nice cuddly feed, as she's so content, and it's lovely for both of us :)

Good luck to you, and I hope things go well for you and your LO xxx

Glad someone posted this! Also trying to wean my LO off bfing, he tends to have 3 feeds a day (one before each nap & one before bed) but uses the boob to get sleepy so he doesnt appreciate me trying to give him a bottle instead!

I posted something similar to this last week actually. Mine is almost one, on Sunday in fact and I'm just really burned out on the nursing as during the day she will come up and pull the heck out of my shirts stretching them out, while nursing she will pinch, scratch (she doesn't like me cutting her nails so they are sharp my arms are completely scarred up) she slaps and squeezes I mean it is not nice. My last I nursed till she was 3 just let her wean herself but I am just reallys done with this one and I am pregnant so really need to get her weaned before the baby arrives, and I'm not sure how to do it because that is the only way that i can get her to bed and naps is to rock and nurse her, so not sure how to stop that, she won't take a bottle...ugg!!!

Ive changed the tops i wear to round neck, and dont offer boob , i wait for him to come to me upset/really wanting it, i havent weked out how to beat feed to sleep but soon as i do ill update

Yah I think this is going to be a real challenge, the getting to sleep thing. She will pull at my shirt even if i am wearing a sweatshirt she will try to lift it up! She knows they are under there!! My husband is never home so it's not like I can have him put her to bed either. This is going to be hard! Pandacub- sounds like we are in the same boat.

does she fall asleep in her pushchair while out walking? my friend used to push her lil boy round n round the living room for his nap times

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->