Low Blood Pressure & Iron deficiency

kiraelliott

Mum & due #2 :)
Reaction score
I'm currently 34+4 and suffered with low blood pressure throughout the pregnancy. It's also come to light i've got mild iron deficiency but was only told to top up my diet with iron rich foods - so i've been taking a spatone sachet a day after dinner which up until now has been working and even improved my BP a little bit yesterday.

However, before I got pregnant I used to get a little bit of low BP after eating my breakfast. I've had this every day in my pregnancy and today it got worse on a whole other level. Not even laying down cured it. I took a spatone sachet (and nearly fainted getting it) in a drink and i'm starting to feel a bit better.

Will having low BP affect my chances of giving birth naturally? Prior to being pregnant if I had a bath or shower in the mornings I would feel faint, heart racing, shakes, etc so now I can only have them in the evenings.

I know this is something I need to talk to my midwife about. I'm even wondering if I should go to my doctor about it (I think I know the answer to this but aside from being told to do what i'm already doing I can't see what else they can suggest)

Any advice would be great.. this is getting me down xx

Hi. I have always been aneamic due to thelasemia (sp?) and so my iron levels are always low. I was given lots of iron tablets and to be honest they only do so much but like I say have always been this way so during my pregnancy the docs were not so concerned. I also have had the fainting and low blood pressure and until I read your post I didnt even think it may be related to my low iron levels! Anyway, during my labout I had another faint. The thing is as I have experienced this so often I could feel it was about to happen and I was blacking out. I was so tired and about to just 'let go' when I realised that if my body starts shutting down my LO would get in trouble so I started saying 'coke'. Basically the sugar picks me up. Nurses thought I may have been diabetic but thats not the case and my mom quickly gave me an orange juice with sugar in it because she knew its what I needed as Ive had it happen before. It can be frightening so speak with your doctors and make them have a note of it in your pregnancy book.

Hi. I have always been aneamic due to thelasemia (sp?) and so my iron levels are always low. I was given lots of iron tablets and to be honest they only do so much but like I say have always been this way so during my pregnancy the docs were not so concerned. I also have had the fainting and low blood pressure and until I read your post I didnt even think it may be related to my low iron levels! Anyway, during my labout I had another faint. The thing is as I have experienced this so often I could feel it was about to happen and I was blacking out. I was so tired and about to just 'let go' when I realised that if my body starts shutting down my LO would get in trouble so I started saying 'coke'. Basically the sugar picks me up. Nurses thought I may have been diabetic but thats not the case and my mom quickly gave me an orange juice with sugar in it because she knew its what I needed as Ive had it happen before. It can be frightening so speak with your doctors and make them have a note of it in your pregnancy book.

I've never fainted but always come very close. I feel like i'm borderline with my iron levels, one minute if my diet's not quite right i'm about to keel over, the next i'm fine! I've always felt faint after standing too long, after hot baths/showers, hot rooms, etc etc. But yes I will let my midwife know I think. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->