Low milk supply

mczzi3737

First IVF
Reaction score
Hi All,

My little one was born on 11/2/19. I have experienced little milk so far. They said he had a slight tongue tied so I just got that corrected. I am hoping that works. Any advice on how I would boost my supply? I am still pumping every day.

Thanks.

Nurse nurse nurse. Start nursing NOW and cut down on pumping. So if you pump at 2pm and 6pm, nurse at 2 and 6 instead.

Nurse nurse nurse. Start nursing NOW and cut down on pumping. So if you pump at 2pm and 6pm, nurse at 2 and 6 instead.

Oh, I was pumping more. Now that his tongue tie is removed, he should be to latch now. Thanks. Anything else please share. My lacation team has me power pumping but not really helping as much.

Go to a lactation consultant. Have them weigh the baby before nursing and after. Have them watch babys latch since being fixed.

Call and attend La Leche League. Its FREE breastfeeding help.

Stop pumping. Nurse. You dont need to pump, you need to get baby back to breast and help the baby learn to nurse.

Watch poop and wet diapers to make sure baby is getting enough.

Because you're now going from pumping to nursing, baby and you need to adjust the supply. A pump is not as good as a baby for removal. It's not going to happen in 1 session.

I would follow the above advise see up a comfy spot plenty snacks and drinks , pick few Netflix programs and just nurse and plenty of skin to skin. If you feel need to power pump always do it after feeding and skin to skin. Keep an eye baby ishaving plenty of wet nappies. Can i ask why do you feel your supply is too low

Can I ask what it is that makes you feel like there is only a little milk being made?
. Can i ask why do you feel your supply is too low

The reason we are asking (I think) is that while nursing and pumping are great for supply, this wont help if the problem is that your baby is struggling to feed. There also might not even BE a problem and worrying about supply can really impact on your stress levels, enjoyment of baby etc. You might end up putting a lot of energy in to increasing milk supply when concentrating on how well baby is feeding might be more important (and be a great way to boost supply if that is an issue too!). Do you have any in-person support (local groups, voluntary organisations/lactations consultants)?

Some people can never make enough milk no matter what they do. I am one of them.

Some people can never make enough milk no matter what they do. I am one of them.

That must be really heartbreaking for you if nursing was something you wanted. It must also make you feel frustrated at "Just keep nursing" advice - as this would not have been good advice for you.

As I'm sure you know though, most low milk supply is caused by ineffective milk removal. Our societies don't support frequent, responsive feeding and often lack supportive environments for new mums to learn with their babies how to optimise milk removal (which boosts milk production). This is why I want to find out from the OP what makes her think she has low milk supply, as it's key to get the correct information for each individual situation.

That must be really heartbreaking for you if nursing was something you wanted. It must also make you feel frustrated at "Just keep nursing" advice - as this would not have been good advice for you.

As I'm sure you know though, most low milk supply is caused by ineffective milk removal. Our societies don't support frequent, responsive feeding and often lack supportive environments for new mums to learn with their babies how to optimise milk removal (which boosts milk production). This is why I want to find out from the OP what makes her think she has low milk supply, as it's key to get the correct information for each individual situation.

I agree!!! I'm part of a cancer support group and when I asked if I could bring my nursing baby, they told me to give him/her a bottle of milk and leave baby at home.... um I dont want to pump, I want to nurse! So I had to choose between cancer support or my baby.
Just an example of people who dont understand at all!

I was given really bad advice (for ME) by lactation consultants. So I wanted to put out there what would have been helpful to me to hear when I was desperately pumping around the clock for less than 25% of the milk my baby needed per day to survive. She never latched well, probably because there was so little milk it was not productive to do so. Triple feeding is a special kind of hell.

I am most certainly not suggesting people who want to and can nurse successfully should not!

But it would really have helped me if somebody had told me something other than “everybody can breastfeed, you must be doing it wrong.”

No medical professional ever told me that I have more than one chronic medical condition known to contribute to low milk supply. I agree that more info from the OP would help clarify the issue.

Best of luck, OP.

But it would really have helped me if somebody had told me something other than “everybody can breastfeed, you must be doing it wrong.”

No medical professional ever told me that I have more than one chronic medical condition known to contribute to low milk supply. I agree that more info from the OP would help clarify the issue.

Best of luck, OP.

Isn't it terrible - gut wrenchingly terrible - that both messages "Everyone can make enough milk - just persevere" and also "You probably aren't making enough milk - just stop" give women the message that their bodies aren't good enough, that something is wrong with them, that they ARE wrong.

My strongest desire is that women (and medical professionals) can get increasingly better supported and educated about breastfeeding under normal circumstances, so that when there are medical issues and real problems is it so glaringly obvious that no-one has to suffer like you did.

Isn't it terrible - gut wrenchingly terrible - that both messages "Everyone can make enough milk - just persevere" and also "You probably aren't making enough milk - just stop" give women the message that their bodies aren't good enough, that something is wrong with them, that they ARE wrong.

My strongest desire is that women (and medical professionals) can get increasingly better supported and educated about breastfeeding under normal circumstances, so that when there are medical issues and real problems is it so glaringly obvious that no-one has to suffer like you did.

My mom just on monday told me NOT to breastfeed this baby because " dd2 couldnt and you didnt have enough calories to feed her. She was always crying and hungry"..... No mom, thats called Autism and Failure To Thrive because of it. ](*,)](*,)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->