Low Sugar or Sugar free drink ideas

arturia

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Straight water is STILL making me feel nauseous, which means that it's hard for me to get as hydrated as I'd like to be. I've tried squeezing lemons into water, but that has long past worn out it's welcome. I'm usually mixing juice with water to lower the sugar/calorie impact (since I don't need to be consuming a ton of useless calories just to stay hydrated) but I'd like to do that less often. I don't have diabetes in any form that I know about, but this advice will certainly help if I end up failing the glucose test in a few weeks or a month.

I haven't yet found an artificial sweetener I can stomach the taste of; they taste worse than pure water to me.

So I'm looking for ideas. Bonus points if they have little to no prep work and are inexpensive. I'll take low sugar options too, so long as it's only packing a couple grams. I really just need the water to not taste like water.

I sometimes just make some fruit tea and let it cool. You can do that with or without sugar.

Can you stomach cordial/squash that you dilute? I'm obsessed with an orange, lemon & pinapple that my local supermarket do! It's no sugar but artificially sweetened..

Or something like Volvic flavoured water? Lucozade/Gatorade? I drank a lot of lucozade in the first trimester as I couldn't stand water either! Or even carbonated water? I found that more tolerable than still water weirdly! It does taste a bit different to water I suppose!

I can stomach pretty much anything that doesn't taste like water and doesn't have artificial sweeteners. Unfortunately that rules out pretty much all the squeeze bottle drink flavorers I've seen at the store. :( I hadn't considered a cordial though.

I hadn't considered carbonated water. I thought of flavored, but not convinced it's an efficient enough option for me.

My favourite thing is adding frozen raspberries to water. If you let it sit long enough it's like juice!! Plus you get to eat the raspberries after. I can usually get about two good glasses from a handful. They're just full of juice!

Lemons? Limes? Oranges? Sometimes I just squirt a little lemon juice into my water, since that's cheaper than buying lemons. I also love crystal light. But I add twice as much water so it's watered down and way less sugary tasting

Lemons? Limes? Oranges? Sometimes I just squirt a little lemon juice into my water, since that's cheaper than buying lemons. I also love crystal light. But I add twice as much water so it's watered down and way less sugary tasting

I did that for awhile, (squeezing lemons) it's worn out it's welcome at this point.

Anyone happen to know an artificial sweetener free powder/fluid? Unfortunately Mio has sucralose (I couldn't stand it) and crystal light has aspartame. (which leaves a gross aftertaste to me)

edit: getting tempted to buy a can of koolaid powder even though that's decidedly NOT sugar free. At least it'd be convenient.

edit again: And google has informed me they quit selling koolaid powder and started selling koolaid liquid with artificial sweetener. I'm doomed. :cry:

The only time I could drink water with my DD's pregnancy was sipping cucumber water or sucking on ice cubes. Literally couldn't drink more than a sip at a time the entire pregnancy because it made me unbearably nauseous. I've felt your frustration, I really hope you find what works for you.

I drink a lot of cordial. No added sugars. Can alternate flavours. Better than being dehydrated

I'm also really struggling with drinking :( I was surviving on sprite while I was throwing up constantly but now I'm coming out of that phase I want to get back to healthier drinks, I'm worried about the gtt too. Things with bubbles are the only help with nausea I've found, I think I need to get fizzy water to use with cordial/juice. Better than sprite... I drink so much water normally!

I sometimes just make some fruit tea and let it cool. You can do that with or without sugar.

I do that too. Also, adding cucumber slices or mint are good ideas, they'll definitely add a different flavor than lemon! :thumbup:

A fresh lime squeezed into water is nice.
Or make up a jug in the fridge with lemon, lime and mint leaves!
Sugar free and yummy!!!
Hope this helps

True Lemon lemonade packets have stevia if you can handle that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->