Mail for previous tenants

x_WelshGirl_x

1boy, 1girl, 1 angel baby
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to put this but looking for some advice. We moved into our council house in February last year. Since then we have had lots of mail addressed to the previous tenants, from the tax office, hospital/doctors appointments, and for one of them about 6 letters a week would turn up. All of which I wrote on the envelopes 'no longer at this address'. We still have lots of letters addressed to them.
This morning I admit I was naughty and opened it, it was from a debt collection agency, basically saying that they have previously wrote but no response, failure to contact them immediately leaves them no alternative but to take enforcement action.
Someone may come to the property to collect payment, failure to pay may result in possessions being seized.

I do NOT want anyone coming here, what the hell do I do? I'm here on my ow with my 19month old son most days!

ring the number on the letter. Say youve sent loads back but they keep coming so you opened one incase it was important which it obv is. Just say they dont live here anymore & you have NO contact details for them at all & you dont know where they have gone OR give them their new address if you happen to know it. xxxx

Just keep sending the letters back and if someone does come out do not invite them in.
Let them see some form of I.D showing you are not the person they are looking for and if you can have your tenancy agreement handy as well show them that. Do not feel you have to let them in if you need to go fetch the documents ask them to wait outside and close the door until you return. I had the same problem at my old property and only once did we get someone out and my tenancy agreement and I.D was enough to keep him from coming back.

Thanks. Ill give them a ring. I just find it so weird that they obviously haven't changed their address for anything. Not even the doctors or hospital!

if someone does come round DO NOT let them in.
If they ask for ID then ask them to wait & SHUT the door..
By law they can enter through an unlocked door if its unocupied - ie you leave the front door open & go to your bedroom to get ID. xxx

Thanks. Ill give them a ring. I just find it so weird that they obviously haven't changed their address for anything. Not even the doctors or hospital!

some people dont bother. I still get letters for previous tenants, ive been here 2.5yrs now xx

It's really nothing to worry about, if they send someone round you just tell them the same, the person they are looking for is the previous tennant. They pose no risk to you whatsoever, and they will just say ok thanks and go away.

Thank you. I'm such a worrier! My nan had same problem years ago which resulted my parents going to the police I think.
I'll give them a ring when OH gets home to take Alex for me.

Debt collectors can't enter, only bailiffs, but even then they wouldn't take your things if you are not who they are looking for.

try and catch your post man if you can because we had this problem and the one day i caught the post man and told him they didnt live her anymore and weve had nothing since

Well I rang them, they asked when they moved, I said I don't know it's a council house, it was empty end of jan as we moved in in the feb last year. They said just to ignore the letter then. But my mum told me to write down date and time I rang and to keep the letter safe!
So annoying.

At my last flat I had letter after letter, prob about 6 companies in total and one once from the actual baliff with his mobile number. I just did what you did and rang them, explained when they moved out and no one ever appeared at my door. All you have to do is show ID and your tenancy agreement IF they do show up but it's very unlikely.

In my old house the ex tenant had lots of letters like that turn up. I just kept returning them to sender. Keep a copy of your tenancy agreement in an easily accessible place just in case someone does come. But in my experience they never actually came round anyway. They wouldn't bully you if they did come you can just show them your paperwork and they'll leave you alone. Debt collectors can't enter your house without your permission.

I've had these kinds of letters for a previous tenant since we bought 2 1/2 years ago. Every so often you get the threatening debt collector letters but I've never had a visit. I just chuck them in the bin.

The previous tennats here are in debt exceeding 20k. From what we can gather, they set up a "business" used that to take out credit, didn't pay a cent back, packed up and moved on.
They changed no details obviously.
I've had debt collecters show up but i simply tell them they moved, show them I.D and my rent agreement and they remove my address.
I send most letters back with "No longer at this address" on the front, however if i recieve 5 or more letters, i usually google the address at the back, find a number and ask them to stop sending them here.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->