Makeup Contouring - Tips?

shellideaks

Mummy to 4
Reaction score
I've been watching a lot of videos on this lately and wanted to give it a try. I bought a kit today and had a go, not great for my first time but I think it looked okay.

Does anyone have any tips to make it look it's best? :flower:

Queen Nat (Nut_Shake) is the best one for this!

*gives my nuts a shake in hope she'll be along*

xxx

I could use help on this too- might give nat a nudge on fb if I remember- she's the queen x

Use the palest shade you can. I go for a light peachy brown. Make sure it isn't pink and that it is matte and not shimmery. Add really light layers and build it up but don't make it obvious. I use one shade instead of different ones and make it lighter in places like the sides of my forehead. If you have a baby-face or a round face then maybe consider not using blush as this can make cheeks chubbier, especially with pale skin. If you do use blush then put it just slightly above the contour powder on your cheekbones and make it very light. Where you contour depends on your face shape but under the cheekbones and just under the jaw line slims the face. Personally I don't use a highlighter as I don't like the effect but I do use Clarins light reflecting concealer (like YSL Touche Eclat but better) over MAC concealer on my under eye bags, eye corner bits by the nose, and on the nostril to lip crease.

This picture shows (thanks to the flash) where I have contoured. So you can see under my cheekbones and under my jaw. I also contour around my eyes to make them bigger. Just to make clear it shouldn't be this obvious it's just down to the flash that it shows up this much!

1424407_10153505271040541_1896623252_n.jpg

My favourite youtube videos for contouring (and I've watched waaay too many) are the ones by Jaclyn Hill. She has ones for both powder and cream contouring.

I emulate her powder tutorial for my cheekbones using a Sleek contour kit, a half moon brush, a soft blush brush just to buff and blend it. I then use my kabuki brush for the sides of my forehead and my jawline, the half-moon for the areas around my chin, plus a small, more precise brush for my nose.

This is how I was taught to do it when I did my make-up courses..
Contour along the hair line to shorten the forehead. Highlight the center of the forehead. Highlight the brow bone under your arch. Highlight the high point of the cheek bone which will make them stand out even more after you've contoured them. You should then apply blush lightly underneath your cheek bone and then bronzer under your cheek bones to make your cheek bones 'pop'. Contour the nose by contouring down the sides of your nose. You can make your lips stand out more by placing highlight just where your cupids bow is. Contour along he jaw line to make your jaw more defined.
Blend.. Blending it very important. You don't want to be seeing harsh lines. When contouring I use matte shades, glittery ones I tend to stay away from or use just for bronzing up my whole face lightly to give a sunkissed, glowy look.

It can take practice but it's easy when you get the hang of it :)

I'd love to try this but could look so wrong if i didnt get it right :rofl:

What exactly is contouring if you don't mind me asking?

I'm going out later with a load of girls who are just so lovely and always very well turned out so I've been desperately trying to 'up' my make up techniques all day :haha: was going to attempt the smoky eyes look but I think I'll just look stupid lol. will be stalking this thread.

I'm scared I'd get it so wrong and not be able to tell in my own mirror... Then look a tit :haha:

What products do people use? X

I had a lot of trouble with blending when I tried it last night, the line below my cheekbone looked really obvious! And I think I used too much of the highlighting stuff cos I just looked shiny :haha:

bumpy_j - A Sleek contour kit is what I bought :)

I had a lot of trouble with blending when I tried it last night, the line below my cheekbone looked really obvious! And I think I used too much of the highlighting stuff cos I just looked shiny :haha:

You probably just have a little bit too much on the brush! Put your powder on the brush then blow on the brush and it removes the excess.

What products do people use? X

I use a MAC blush in a beige colour. Think it's called Stay With Me. Only use the expensive brand because I can't find the right shade anywhere else due to my insanely pale skin. For the brush I just have a cheap H&M one.

Apply very, very lightly then build it up then you shouldn't need to do so much blending and the lines won't look so obvious :)

I'd love to be able to do it. I'm scared I'd be too heavy handed and look like this

https://aubingroveart.edublogs.org/files/2012/07/picasso-met-2010-32-1jz4kb2.jpg

I'm going out tomorrow night and was planning on trying it, think it might give it a test run before!

I'd love to be able to do it. I'm scared I'd be too heavy handed and look like this

https://aubingroveart.edublogs.org/files/2012/07/picasso-met-2010-32-1jz4kb2.jpg

This is exactly how I think I'll look, topped with pink hair :rofl: I don't think it's worth me trying!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->