making him sick??

Helzy

Reaction score
I've been able to breastfeed my son perfectly from my right boob for the 12 week's I've had him. I've always had problems with the left boob, and for a couple of weeks I've only expressed from it as I was in a lot of pain. I braved it and put him back on the left boob yesterday (all the while he still feeds from the right), and yesterday and today he has thrown up the entire contents of his stomach. I believe my left boob has a much faster letdown than my right - much like turning a tap on to start with. What can I do? I'm terrified of putting him on my left boob for him to keep choking on the milk overload, but I don't want to be left feeding from only one boob!

Have you tried hand expressing or pumping a little bit from the left before a feed so it doesn't come down so fast? I also read to try side lying because then the baby can let it fall right out of their mouth if it's too much. Those are the only suggestions i have. I also seem to have a forceful letdown on the left...it can be annoying.

Thats all I have tried, yes. :) didn't know if there's anything I could do to stop the problem altogether? X

The suggestions that FarmMom gave are what I did. The older she got the better at controlling it she got. My body also calmed down because that early on its was still adjusting it's supply. From what I have read and experience its just a thing that comes with time. I expressed a bit and nursed side lying for a bit then as she got older I would be able to just side lie and nurse her or express a little and nurse her upright. Then it got to a point where neither were needed.

You could also try laying back and putting baby on top of your chest and letting him nurse that way.. against gravity. I never tried that position but a lot of people with fast let downs swear by it.

You could also try laying back and putting baby on top of your chest and letting him nurse that way.. against gravity. I never tried that position but a lot of people with fast let downs swear by it.

This actually works really well for me, my left side (what is with the left side??) has a really fast let-down this time around and can cause throwing up with my son. If I lie on my back and latch him on from the side (think football hold but you on your back, kind of idea) he is able to nurse SO much better.
Plus it gives my back a rest from lying on my side! :thumbup:

I have OALD too and my LC told me to take magnesium supplement and block feed to reduce the supply a bit. I have just started the mag so don't know if it works just yet. But maybe give that a go.

Laid back or side lying helps baby deal with the flow. Your supply will regulate eventually, most people find around 4 months. I would be careful with block feeding, oald does not necessarily mean oversupply (it didn't for me)

I had overactive letdown too and worse in the left breast as well - I think it's because it's closest to the heart or something, there is a reason - I had big problems for a time with DS gasping and puking etc and my friend is a BF peer supporter and showed me the laid back position. You can latch them on normally and then just slump back into some cushions or a big pillow if you find that easier - I never fully laid right flat, just slouched and let the flow go against gravity. It worked a treat!

It does come right as they get older and better able to control things and they learn not to suck so vigorously, to slow the letdown themselves, and they do cope with it better, as well as their stomach sphincters getting stronger to keep it down. Your supply will balance too. I would try that before block feeding as it can be quite drastic if your supply is not neccesarily huge, just with a fast letdown.

All the best!

Haven't heard of block feeding before, what's that?
so far we are doing a lot better with slouching while feeding and expressing the worst bit of the letdown first. Managing to have some feeds without having to express first, so it seems to be going well! Thanks ladies!

Block feeding is where you nurse from the same breast for a certain period of time. So for example if baby wakes up at 8 you nurse from the right breast from 8 to 10 then the left breast from 10 to 12 so on and so forth. Its recommended for those with oversupply since it slows milk production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->