Making up bottles

F

FierceAngel

with so many ways to prepare the bottles i wanted to see what most of you do.,..

im in a bit of a dilema.. i usually sterilise 6 bottles.. boil the kettle and fill them up.. then add water to each as needed..

luisa then has it at room temp apart from her last feed between 10-12 which i warm up.. (in hope it will help her sleep!)
but the colief drops for her colief works better if left in warm milk for 30 mins before feeding!

the instructions say tht if you must make feeds in advance add to warm water then leave to cool the refridgerate..

but the HV doesnt reccomend this? but im sure alot of you girlies do it this way?

thanks in advance!

I fully make the feeds up in advance and store them in the fridge for each day :)

You should never make up water in advance and allow it to cool for too long, as the water needs to be boiling to kill off germs in the formula. The formula isn't sterile, and that's why you need to use boiling water that has cooled for no longer than an hour. Otherwise, there is little point in steralising.

The recommended way is make up the feed and refrigerate. :)

You should never make up water in advance and allow it to cool for too long, as the water needs to be boiling to kill off germs in the formula. The formula isn't sterile, and that's why you need to use boiling water that has cooled for no longer than an hour. Otherwise, there is little point in steralising.

The recommended way is make up the feed and refrigerate. :)

see this is what my mum said.. but the formula says not too.. and so does the HV :dohh:

What do you mean the formula says not to/ Any formula I've ever used has always saif to make up the bottles from boiling water?

According to the Department of Health, you should always make it up from boiling water and can refrigerate for up to 8 hours.

I make up fully and refrigerate. HV doesn't recommend lots of things, if we lived by what they said we'd all be clone parents :p

I make them up in advance, I use formula concentrate not powder, there's really not another way to do it using this stuff! lol. And it'd be insanity doing it as I go, I feed her on demand.. and sometimes she DEMANDS immediately, I don't have time to fart around mixing up formula.

the cow and gate says to do it as you said but as each feed is needed and also says

for hygiene reasons do not store made up feeds. make up each feed as you go along and always discard within 2 hours :blush:

im not disputing wht you say im more confused than anything lol

Jack's a bit funny about warm milk, he really doesn't like it, so when we're out it's usually just room temp. When we're in it's cold from the fridge. Odd little boy.

looks like we will def be switching to made up feeds :rofl:

tash luisa feeds on demand too hence i cant do this leave for 30 mins bit... :dohh:

pixie- def agree about hv in fact it sounds like her way is worse :dohh:

I think they say that on the packaging to cover their behinds in case anything happens :)

Yep, department of health says it's safe. There is a PDF file on their website about formula if you want to search for it. I'm pretty sure they said store for 8 hours. :)

Yep, department of health says it's safe. There is a PDF file on their website about formula if you want to search for it. I'm pretty sure they said store for 8 hours. :)

thanks for your help :)

does this mean i shouldnt make up a days bottles?:dohh:

I would tbh. Whenever we've made up bottles we've let them go for up to 12 hours at a time.

So do you girls make up the bottles with the formula and then put in the fridge once they've completely cooled and then reheat when baby wants one..?

We were doing this but then I think I read or someone told us that we shouldn't reheat the formula so we switched to making up 6 bottles with slightly cooled boiling water, let them cool and put them in the frigde and then reheat the water and add the formula when needed.

I'm not sure what the best way to do it is :help:

we make them up and put in fridge - this is the way my mum, gran etc used to do it

I have done it the same way with all 3 of mine with no problems, health visitor has never asked me what I do and tbh I would do things how I want to anyway

In the morning I make up the bottles for that day and night, whilst they are in the microwave sterilizing I boil the kettle and let it cool for about 20 minutes, I then make the bottles and leave to cool on the side and leave them there until Jayden needs one so he has it at room temperature, Ive never had any problems with this method and it is so much easier when out in the day and for night time feeds, I know this way isnt recommended by HV but they have changed their minds so much over the years, what has happened to make them keep changing the methods, as I said I did this with all my children and they are all fine, in fact very rarely are they ill or anything

I would do what is best for u tbh

I make up each bottle when needed and always have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->