making up bottles.

Mrs-N

Mummy to Joshua James
Reaction score
hi girls,
ive popped over from the 3rd tri (hope you dont mind)

yesterday i got my sterilizer and all thebottles and teats etc.

and now im wondering how to make up bottle feeds (formula)

i think i have worked out how to use the sterilizer,apart from its so hard not to touch the teats.

so when the bottles are sterilized i boil the kettle (do i use hot or cold water from tap) then leave boiled water to cool then i pour water into bottles,example 4oz.

then do the bottles go into fridge or can they sit at room temp?

you are not allowed to make feeds up in advance are you.?

sorry if this is stupid but i had to ask.

x x

Its not stupid , i forgot how to do it even though i had bottle fed my first daughter haha.

Well you boil the kettle and just put cold water in from tap, put in bottle then add the measurments of the formula you need then shake!

You were able to do bottles in advance but now they say you cant. Make a bottle up every time she/he needs a feed. Pain i know. Just put bottle in a jug of cold water to cool it down while bub is waiting.

i was gonna make up bottles with just boiled water in them and then when baby needs a bottle all i need to do is add the formula.

if i do it that way,
do i keep boiled water(bottles) in the fridge then heat bottle in bottle warmer then add the formula milk, or do i add the formula milk then heat up?

Im not to sure that way , my midwife said that if i wanted to boil water to use for a feed later on when she gets hungry she told me that i had to use a flask and put the boiled water in there and use it within 4 hours...

Im really not sure but your way seems like a much easier way to do it, id also like to know the answer to this as i cant stand waiting around for boiling water to cool down!

well yes it would be easier to heat a bottle up rather than trying to cool it down.

if you can make up bottles (just boiled water) and put into fridge how long can it be in the fridge.

I use the nestle good start formula and they say you can leave it in the fridge for up to 24h. So what I do is I prepare 6 bottles, leave them in the fridge and warm them up in hot water when he needs feeding. Works great this way, especially when you get up at night half asleep... !!

I Boil the water first, let it cool down then I measure the water and add the formula... Then SHAKE!!!!

Thats what i did jess with my first daughter and got told not to do it now even though its says you can on the formula.

Hmm i may aswell just do it if others are, been done for so many years before hand i never know why 'rules' change so much when it comes to pregnancy and babies! Does my Nut!

Really ?! Oh Damn. Oh well.. I've been doing that for almost a month and he perfectly healthy, and nothing seems to be wrong with him... Think I'm still gonna do that, like you said several people has done that over the years.

My mother used to do that for my younger brother and he turned out just fine (apart from being a lazy slobby teenager :rofl:)

I make up mine every morning and leave them in the fridge ( no longer than 24hr tho) it didnt harm my other 2 so cany see it doing any harm this time ??

I also make mine in advance, every morning i make a days worth of bottles and put them in the fridge, then warm them up when he wants one..my HV agreed too. so much easier n quicker when u have a hungry baby crying for a bottle

I am so glad of this thread, this is the one thing i've been worrying about as you get told of lots of different ways!

So after you've made the days feeds up, do you put straight into the fridge or let them cool to room temperature before putting into the fridge?

How do you warm them up? Would investing in a bottle warmer be a good idea? I've bought tommee tippee bottles and see that they sell an electric bottle warmer...

I am so glad of this thread, this is the one thing i've been worrying about as you get told of lots of different ways!

So after you've made the days feeds up, do you put straight into the fridge or let them cool to room temperature before putting into the fridge?

How do you warm them up? Would investing in a bottle warmer be a good idea? I've bought tommee tippee bottles and see that they sell an electric bottle warmer...

I just do them and put them straight into the fridge after. I warm them up using a jar a warm water, it takes about 2-3 minutes to warm up.

I've just been reading on the cow and gate website that feeds should be made up fresh every time i.e leaving the water to cool for no more then 30 mins then adding formula.....

how do you manage this at night time feeds?!? Get up half and hour before your baby wakes up?!?

Does anyone use the ready made formula in cartoons? Maybe these would be handy for nightime feeds? Will baby mind room temperature milk?

oh its so confusing.

i was gonna make up the bottles in the morning but minus the formula until baby needs a bottle.

can i not do that?

u can do tht if u want Mrs N its totally up to u u do wats best/easier for u...

Jules - i put them straight in the fridge after making them & i know some disagree but i microwave to warm up 4 30 secs ( and know alot of people that do the same as me too so dont jump on me lol)

I dont wait 30 mins to cool , god with a screaming baby wanting milk not exactly ideal! Health visitor also said no bottles in advance but if everyone else is doing it plus i did this with my first then im gunna do it! Rebel!:twisted: :rofl:

so how long can the boiled water stay in fridge?

so how long can the boiled water stay in fridge?

When I do my bottles, I boil water and let it cool down... then I put it in a brita filter pitcher in the fridge for about 24h... so I have water ready to go next time I make bottles.

I've just been reading on the cow and gate website that feeds should be made up fresh every time i.e leaving the water to cool for no more then 30 mins then adding formula.....

how do you manage this at night time feeds?!? Get up half and hour before your baby wakes up?!?

Does anyone use the ready made formula in cartoons? Maybe these would be handy for nightime feeds? Will baby mind room temperature milk?.

what i do is...

boil the water leave it 30 mins then make up bottles with the formula (SMA gold i use) eg. 4oz water 4 scoops ;) then stick them in the fridge

and to heat them i just stick them in a jug of boiled water for few mins (test on wrist obviously to check temp )

with night feeds tho i found my LO didnt like it too warm so just took one up with me and left it at room temp and if she ever does wake thru the night i give her a room temp bottle :D

my MW and HV both said it was fine that way :happydance:

ooh yeah carrie i also do that at night too - he hardly ever wakes up but just incase i take one up lol. so much easier that way. If im out and about i also just use a room temp one too x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->