male HV

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by Tezzy, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Tezzy

Tezzy Mum of 2 TTCAL

after my HV was so nasty to me about Rhys' weight gain i have decided to switch HV's. the closest one to me is a male HV... has anybody heard of a male HV before????

2. Layla

Layla Well-Known Member

ive not heard of one before, i think thats nice tho :)

x

3. Imi

Imi .

Wow thats so cool!!!!

Bet he's nicer too!!

xxx

4. Caroline

Caroline Proud Mum of 4

Mo but had acupuncture with a male midwife , he was really nice.

5. Kina

Kina Well-Known Member

I have a male HV, bit useless when it comes to breastfeeding advice!

6. vicky

vicky Well-Known Member

i had a male hv he was bit rubbish, but give him a go and see what you think

7. beanie

beanie Well-Known Member

I think I'd prefer a male HV, I just seem to be able to talk better to men.

8. Lauz_1601

Lauz_1601 Well-Known Member

id be embarrased talking to a male HV about cracked sore nipples, would you ? when mine were sore my midwife asked to see them lol

9. beanie

beanie Well-Known Member

I wouldn't as he is a health person, I had to go and see my male Dr a few times with mastitis and thrush on my nipples and that didn't bother me. I guess I just got used to lots of people seeing my boobs lol

10. Lauz_1601

Lauz_1601 Well-Known Member

lol thats true, and get used to people inspecting your bits too

11. beanie

beanie Well-Known Member

12. Kina

Kina Well-Known Member

I was too embarassed to feed Ella in front of mine to begin with! When he came for a home visit I was praying for him to go so I could feed her!!

13. ablaze

ablaze lucky mum of one of each!

i had a male hv present during birth of chloe(along with about 6 male students!) i nvr really bothered i was out of it :rofl: it was also a male hv who did my sweep with callum! darren was like im goin nowhere :rofl:

14. male HV

male HV Member

Sorry to resurrect this post but i read it with interest.

I am a male Health Visitor and have been qualified for 6 years now. I can see both sides but would like to give my own opinion. I think its more about who you are as a person and professional rather than what you are (male or female). I can count on one hand the number of mums and dads that wanted to see a female HV instead of me but I always give parents the choice. I think this forms the basis of a good relationship.

To be honest I have had more problems with some of my female colleagues accepting me than any of the mums I have worked with. The "how can you talk to a new mum about breastfeeding without the personal experience". But I see it as an advantage as I have none of my own baggage to bring to the discussion, and mums especially those wanting not to breastfeed find that helpful and refreshing. I will also tend to use my local breastfeeding support workers alot more and had a wry smile last year as my breastfeeding rates were amongst the highest. With experience comes that ability to tune into mums, I know which mums feel comfotable feeding in front of me and which ones don't

But my job is so much more than that as I will be part of your family until your children go to school. Along the way there will be the discussions about immunisations, weaning, child development, sleep deprivation and toddler tantums....

15. tu123

tu123 Well-Known Member

Female or male they can either be good or bad. We have a male one. I didnt see him after the first time as i was trying to get some help about my breastfeeding issues. He just looked at my boobs and said "yes, it can be difficult". It was a great help!

But you may end up with a really good one!

16. tu123

tu123 Well-Known Member

Can you be our HV?:winkwink:

17. raraboo

raraboo Well-Known Member

One of my HVs is male and is the one I preferred to see if I had to go to clinic. Although I tend to avoid them- male or female TBH!!!

18. Laura_M

Laura_M Well-Known Member

The 1st hv who came to my house was male! I wasn't expecting anyone as they hadn't made an appointment so was pretty confused when he said he was the hv!haven't seen him since though - apparently he heads the team so every time I go to the clinic he isn't there.

19. purplepower

purplepower 1st time Mummy

I would not have an issue seeing a male HV, I think they can give advice about all manner of things and why should a woman be more able to give breastfeeding advice, she may not have breastfed anyway. I think we need more male HVs. I am a nurse and have loved all of the male nurses I have worked with, I think it shows a real dedication and love of a job to go into a predominately female profession.

20. MrsPoodle

MrsPoodle Mummy of a Princess

Mine is male and I don't have a problem!