Manual pump vs. electric pump

Reaction score
I posted earlier about struggling so much to bf and how pumping is not working for me. I have a double electric Medela pump that I have been using. I don't even get half an oz combined with both boobs after 20+ minutes of pumping. I just decided tonight to try the manual pump I got from the hospital and I pumped more in 10 minutes than I normally pump in 20-30 minutes with the electric one. I still pumped just under half an ounce but it is double what I normally pump!

Is manual pumps better than electric ones? Are there other manual pumps that are easier to use? My hands gets so tired from pumping just 10 min each side. I think I'm going to keep trying to fb and use the manual pump for a bit. It would be so much better if there was a better hand pump out there though!

I found I responded much better to a manual than an electric. Having more control over the strength of suction and the speed worked better for me and felt a bit more natural.
I use a pump by The First Years. You can adjust the handle to different positions which makes it more comfortable, although it's still tiring!

I personally find electric pumps more effective than manual, though manual is a good back up.

Only times I find that the suction isn't at good is when parts need replacing, or if I'm using batteries that need changing. Apparently the wrong cup size for Medela pumps can have an effect too, so it might be worth you checking that out.

I personally find electric pumps more effective than manual, though manual is a good back up.

Only times I find that the suction isn't at good is when parts need replacing, or if I'm using batteries that need changing. Apparently the wrong cup size for Medela pumps can have an effect too, so it might be worth you checking that out.

I just moved up a size and hoped that would fix everything but didn't change anything :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->