Mastitis and sore nipple

lottie-xx

Mum of 1 DD and pregnant
Reaction score
Hello my name is Charlotte, iv been breastfeeding my baby for 3 weeks and 2 days. Iv had my fair share of pain and trouble. Just need to vent and get some support really...

After a traumatic labour and delivery ending in a c section with a general anesthetic as I could feel everything after epidural and spinal.
She was feeding so much in hospital(I had 3 hours sleep in 3 days) I got embarassed and to scared to ask for help so just put her on how I thought was right. Which ended up shredding my nipples. I was in so much pain I then came home and my milk came in and omg I was HUGE. my boobs were so big me and my bf were hand expressing to get some out to soften my nipples so she cud get on. By this time she was screaming.it was so hard getting her on I had to squeeze my boob Which wasn't successful as they were like melons with a peanut on the end.I tried nipple shields why were great for 2 feeds then the night one hurt so much that I took her off the shield was FULL of blood. I then tried expressing and that was great. My nipple however wasn't healing. So she literally yanked my sore nipples in and not the areola. After six days of agony they went down. My boobs were killing and I was getting on and off flu symptoms and was in agony and if I missed my pain killers for my tummythen I ended up in agony for my tummy and my boobs and my nipples. My right nipple scabbed up and then one day she yanked it off. I had half a nipple left and it was bleeding loads. So I started expressing again. I then ended up In pain again with my right breast and slept loads with the flu symptoms again so rang the midwife who came and told me I had a very bad case of mastitis. So put me on antibiotics. 1 week of agony later. The redness has gone but I'm still getting pain I can't get out to go doctors,I rang them and the doctor wad meant to ring me and hasn't... Luckily iv been expresssing off the milk after a feed to empty the breast and iv been latching her on good now that my right nipple is looking a million times better and the left is fine..bit sensitive sometimes but generally fine. When does it get better?? I have a sore throat and I can't go toilet without sharp pains in my tummy. It's so demading and painful and I still dread feeds as she fusses on my bad one with mastitis and sore nipple. She goes on the pulls off and then I get a good latch and she pulls off again. Arrgh it kills...
Lots of oh family are poorly and 2 are thought to have swine flu so I'm scared now as we saw them a few days ago :(

I need some motivation and help :(
x

Aww Hun Lotsa :hugs: and way to go for stickin with it. I also had completely scabbed over nipples. It was agony. They have got much better now but still have deep cracks but are on the road to recovery. Hope yours get all better very soon!

Ask to be refered to your local breast feeding support midwife it sounds like your positioning whilst feeding.

Ouch :(

Like you, my LO suckled constantly the first night in hospital and my nipples ended up in shreds too. As long as you get the latch correct even cracked nipples don't hurt (even at the initial latch on) and can still continue to heal. After two weeks of suffering I called my local NCT breastfeeding counsellor who came to see me in my house the following morning and helped me with positioning and latching, as I couldn't get to the hospital where she volunteers. You don't need a referral for this, but not sure if yours would do a home visit? Not sure where you are, but if you go to NCT.org.uk, you should be able to find details for the volunteer near you.

It must be awful for you. My DH and I got a bad dose of flu which felled us for a whole week, all this while the breastfeeding issues were going on.

All the best. It really does get easier. My nipples healed after 3 or 4 days after the help I got. :hugs:

Unfortunatly it's not just a crack but half my nipple is off and raw skin trying to heal. I'd understand the no pain at the initial latch then but it hurts so much normally so it's gna sting when she yanks it back! Lol. Il look into getting someone to cone to the house to check my latch again but I rekon it's when I'm tired I don't take as much time to ensure precision latching. I think coz I have mastitis and they make me put her on my bad side first it makes it harder. X

Yes, I had a bit of nipple come off too, when she pulled the scab off. It heals quickly as long you don't aggravate it. X

i had the 'half a nipple missing'' thing with my 1st baby!! i have the scars to prove it lol!!

well done for carrying on despite everything, i promise you it will get better and you wont regret it!!
at the time i was trying all sorts of creams etc to sort my nipple out and nothing would work - the health visitor was amazed i was still feeding on it (lots of toe clenching swearing and crying!) and brought me a tube of this ''new cream'' to try - it amazingly worked in a few days and 6 years on that cream is the famous ''lansinoh'' that is highly recommned... its pricey at £10 a tube but works a treat!

hope things get better soon xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->