Mat Leave starts today - normal to be scared?

Lilyandbump

Reaction score
So I start my Maternity Leave today, leaving a very involving full-time job for potentially a year. I've worked ever since I was 18, even through uni. I'm not used to having loads of time on my own at home, kicking about.

I'm not worried about what I'll do when baby arrives - I'm fully aware of how little time (or energy?!) I'll have then and know there are loads of things at my local Children's Centre and local parent and baby groups that I can get involved with to eventually establish a sense of some kind of routine.

It's the potential four weeks before the baby arrives that I'm worried about. I'm scared the sudden 'stop' is going to throw me and that I'm going to be, well, lonely I guess. I hate day-time TV and I've already bought most of the baby's stuff. Washing and ironing baby grows only takes so long. I can't make jam EVERYday. I can't afford to keep sitting in coffee shops sipping decaf latte watching the world go by and most of my friends work so aren't around in the day.

So what are we supposed to do with this time?

Does anyone else share this fear? I never expected to feel this way until I got here, if that makes sense. Apart from resting (which I'm not good at doing), what are we all supposed to do for these few weeks? :shrug:

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks xx

I know what you mean! I'm only taking 2 weeks before my due date for that very reason!

Yep yep yep worked since i was 13 and full time Since 17 I'm on my last three days of 4 weeks before baby and its been shit... I'm totally able bodied even tho nausea has hit me hard entire pregnancy I am totally fine ... Have no back pain no pain anywhere so for me I've been bored as hell.... My advice is do what I did and leave packing til the end of mat leave coz it have me something to do... Other than that u just gotta find stuff to amuse u...

aw I felt the exact same way! I even had a few cries thinking about how I'd be lonely. I tried to make plans in the day, for lunch or a massage, etc. My dad's been coming by for a few hrs every day the past week which has been nice (he's retired). I really panicked when I went off work thinking I'd be lonely, but other than a few emotional days which I chalked up to hormones it hasn't been too bad. Just try to keep yourself active! and maybe guilt some friends and family to visit more :haha: good luck love xx

Hi,

In my previous pregnancy I finished 3 weeks before my due date and was so bored. As you say, all my friends work full time so there was very little to occupy my time - this time round, I'm finishing (hopefully) at 38 1/2 weeks so I can spend more time at home with the little one after she's born. My time off will also coincide with my son's summer holidays so will have more time with him.

I'm not able to give you any suggestions as to what to do but I do sympathise with how you are feeling.

Hope you find something to fill your time

xx

I think it really depends on your job. If you like your job then I can fully understand feeling weird about going on mat leave and doing nothing.
For me, I cannot wait until mat leave starts. I'm on my feet all day and I cannot bear the pain, I would do anything to take my mat leave now, and I keep taking random holiday days as well so I can just rest. I'll be going on my mat leave early from 34 weeks, and I've already had the odd week holiday here and there. This is what I do:

First I sort of plan the day out, and usually have the same sort of schedule for each day. I get up have breakfast, put a clothes wash on, maybe watch an episode of something for half an hour. I run a blog in my spare time, so if I have the energy on that particular day, I might write a blog post. Then I have some lunch, then I have a 1-2 hour nap after lunch (because by this time I can barely keep my eyes open). Then I maybe do some household chores, washing up, a bit of cleaning/tidying etc. Might read a book for a little while, do a bit of gardening, then make or organise dinner. This varies from day to day as sometimes I bake as well, I find it quite soothing and it's not something I ordinarily do. It's important to plan out your day so you don't feel at a loose end.

Of course all of this is on days when I have no plans, but remember you will now have time to make plans with people and hang out - at least for me working full time I never seem to have a spare moment for anyone. Maternity leave will fly by, just remember that, because you'll be back at work sooner than you want to!

On my second week of mat leave and feel exactly the same way. Everyone keeps saying enjoy the quiet time while you can. But I'm not that person to do nothing all the time.

I was going to work a lot longer, but by the end of each day my back was sore and feet were swollen.

Been baking/cooking things for the freezer in case everyone is right and I won't want to cook once baby is here lol

I've turned into that person waiting for their husband to get home from work. Yuck! I just want the baby to arrive!!

This has been my first week off work. I stopped about 3 weeks before my due date and was very apprehensive about it. I was ultimately excited bc I want to be a SAHM but I've been working FT since I graduated HS and a part if me felt like I was being wreck less and irresponsible by not going in anymore. But I've been absolutely loving it! I've gotten the house clean, done some crafting projects, and gotten in some much needed naps. Hopefully you come around to embrace and enjoy it too. :)

I suppose it is too late, but could you ask to delay your mat leave by a few weeks?

I know exactly what you mean.

I have to take all my Annual leave before I go but I didn't want to leave too early for this same reason. So I'm finishing 2 weeks before my due date I've taken Thursday/Fridays off from last week up until my due date. I'm hoping that by easing myself into the time off gently it won't be as much of a shock.

Thanks everybody. I like the idea of planning a schedule each day so I'm not just knocking around in an empty house. I've also made plans to see lots of people. I'm hoping the baby might come a bit early though as I think I had a show today and the Braxton Hicks are getting stronger so maybe I wont have 4 weeks to fill after all! Here's hoping!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->