Maternity allowance and work

lauren-kate

Reaction score
I'm claiming maternity allowance (finishes in June). Work have asked me to work 8 hours on Saturday cos they need me to help out. What are the rules on working whilst on MA?? I swear I remember reading something before but I can't find where.. x

EDIT: Ok, I found this:
Returning to work
If you return to work during your MAP you must not collect any more money, and you must tell your Jobcentre Plus office of this return as soon as possible. If you are returning to work for only a few odd days, the decision maker will decide whether any further payments can be made, but you will lose MA for at least the number of days you work (but see Keeping in Touch days below).

Keeping in Touch (KIT) days if you are getting MA
If you are expecting your baby on or after 1 April 2007 you are allowed to work as an employed or self-employed person for up to 10 days during your Maternity Allowance Period without losing any MA.

These special days are known as KIT days. They are intended to help you keep in touch with your workplace or, if you are self-employed with your business, and enable you to do some work without affecting your MA. KIT days could also help ease your return to work. If you are on maternity leave from your employer you and your employer should agree that you can work on those days. Your employer does not have any right to insist that you work. If you are not on maternity leave from an employer, or you are self-employed, you are free to decide for yourself whether to do any work or not.

Any work you do as a KIT day, even for as little as half an hour, for example, will count as a whole day for KIT days. You can work for single days; in blocks of two or more days; or they can be worked consecutively. Once you have used up your 10 days and you do any further work, you will lose a days MA for any day on which you work.

You must tell your Jobcentre Plus office if you do any work for an employer or work as a self-employed person (including work you do on KIT days) in your Maternity Allowance Period.

Not sure what the bold bit would mean.... I get about £112 a week, so if I worked say... 1 day over the 10 days, would they take 112/7 from my total MA? Confusing.... Just wondering if it's worth just working 1 day a week/fortnight? x

Best thing to do is ask the Jobcentre or the CAB they will be able to explain better.

dont know about maternity allowance but with statotary maternity pay u can work up to 10 shifts and get paid and it doesnt effect ur maternity allowance x

What else you need to know
National Insurance Credits are available for each week of your Maternity Allowance period.
If you're unemployed
If you're unemployed in the 11th week before the week your baby is due and you're eligible to get Maternity Allowance, your payments will start then. If your baby is born earlier than this your MA will start the day after the birth.
If you're employed or self-employed
If your baby arrives before the start of the 11th week or before the date your Maternity Allowance was planned to begin, the allowance can start from the day following your child's birth.

If, in the four weeks before your baby is due, you're absent for a pregnancy related reason, Maternity Allowance will start the day after the first complete day you were absent from work because of your pregnancy.

If you continue to be employed or self-employed into the 11 weeks before the week your baby is due, you can chose when to start getting Maternity Allowance.

For babies due on or before 31 March 2007 your MA will start from the Sunday following the day you last worked. For babies due on or after 1 April 2007, MA will start from any day you chose after you have stoppped work to have your baby.

If you do some work for an employer or as a self-employed person before your MA is due to end you may lose MA for the days you work. The exact rules depend on when your baby is due.

For babies due on or before 31 March 2007 you will lose MA for the days you work. For babies due on or after 1 April 2007 you will able to work for up to 10 days without losing any MA. If you work for more than 10 days you will lose MA for the days you work after that.

If you can't get Statutory Maternity Pay or Maternity Allowance you may be eligible to get Incapacity Benefit.

Sorry posted something but perhaps I have my wires crossed, or not read through my mat allowence notes properly.

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->