Maternity Allowance - UK girls

MrsWhy

2nd time mom :)
Reaction score
Hi,

I have to apply to receive Maternity Allowance (MA) as I haven't been in my job long enough to get SMP (started here when I was 12 weeks pregnant). I phoned the job centre to find out what I needed to do with the paperwork and they said to just send it off to the Wrexham office.

My question is - did everyone else who've applied for MA just sent it off in the post or did you send it recorded/registered?

I guess I'm worried that they will lose my paperwork or that they won't receive it and I won't get any money - it's just you have to send off all of your original payslips, MATB1 form and SMP 1 form and if they get lost then I am scuppered.

Any help around this would be appreciated as not sure whether to just send it off or pop into my local benefits office and see if they can send it off for me

Thanks

Jobcentre won't send it off for you, but there should be an envelope in with the forms. I just sent it freepost, not recorded or anything, but I wasn't entitled anyway :( they send everything back with your letter to say if you've qualified of not.

I would send it recorded/special delivery as it contains your original payslips. I did this with mine and it arrived the next day :)

I send it out normal delivery and got everything back with a letter everythif was sorted a week later

I also sent mine special delivery, just for my own peace of mind than anything. I had a reply from them within 3 days, but I also know other people who sent their application by normal post who also found out about their award just as quickly.

I would send it special signed for delivery. Either that or call Wrexham and asked for a named person to address it to x

Hi,

I have to apply to receive Maternity Allowance (MA) as I haven't been in my job long enough to get SMP (started here when I was 12 weeks pregnant). I phoned the job centre to find out what I needed to do with the paperwork and they said to just send it off to the Wrexham office.

My question is - did everyone else who've applied for MA just sent it off in the post or did you send it recorded/registered?

I guess I'm worried that they will lose my paperwork or that they won't receive it and I won't get any money - it's just you have to send off all of your original payslips, MATB1 form and SMP 1 form and if they get lost then I am scuppered.

Any help around this would be appreciated as not sure whether to just send it off or pop into my local benefits office and see if they can send it off for me

Thanks

I printed my forms off for maternity allowance, so I would have to provide my own envelope, in which case I might send it recorded, haven't decided yet.

Job centre workers where I am tend to be the best people to give your things to if you WANT them lost, so if I send it myself, I know it definitely got sent and when.

I'm the same, I'm not getting SMP from my company. I've been with them long enough to get enhanced pay, but I don't get it because I don't earn enough on contract.
But our benefits adviser at the council said that I should pick all of my highest paid payslips in a 66 week window, which should help me get the maximum pay.

You have to send 13 weeks worth of pay slips. So if you're paid monthly, like me, that's just 3 payslips. If they lose your pay slips or don't send them back but you need them for something else, you could always call the head office at your company and see if they will send out you replacements.

I'm sending 4 wage slips with mine as they were the only ones I could find - the other places I've worked at seem to do online payslips which aren't much use - as PP said, they have to cover 13 weeks of pay

Thanks all for your help

Xx

I sent mine recorded delivery as I wanted to be sure it got there!

Just sent mine off in envelope provided. Got all my pay slips back and my letter saying I had been awarded it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->