Maternity leave, best time to go?

maybaby2018

Reaction score
So I know the earliest you can go on maternity leave is 11 weeks before the baby is due. I know most people try and hold out for as long as possible. I work in a hospital and have quite a stressful job, ontop of already having a 5 year old who I take to school in the morning before rushing off to work! Baby is due at the end of May...however, given I am high risk, I was planning on starting maternity leave in April...BUT...our holiday goes from April to April, so I will be entitled to that time, I'm not sure weather to take April as holiday...or see if I can get paid the holiday pay after my smp...when do you plan on going on maternity leave? Xx

I only work two days as a teacher and both of my children have been late so I am hoping to finish the day I turn 38 weeks.

It is handy that you can add your holiday to the beginning/end to extend it.

Last time I was told to stop work at 36 weeks due to a heart irregularity (mine). I also work in the NHS and took 2 weeks off annual leave before my mat leave started. I went off in November. I took a month of annual leave off at the end of my maternity too. This time I'm due 30th April and plan to start my maternity 9th April. Since hols run April to March, I plan on taking about half of my annual leave allowance at the end of this maternity leave to extend it a bit.

I would plan to take your leave after the holiday so you can at least have a little extra time with your little one without being too rough on your body :)

I always think of maternity leave as including pregnancy. So when I'm finding my job too difficult I take it and just go from there. I usually end up taking an extra month or two in the end unpaid so my babe makes it to 12 months before I need to leave them for a couple days a week with pumped milk! If you can take paid vacation to extend your leave then do it!!

It really depends how you are
Feeling, first time around I worked till 38 weeks, this time I stopped at 32 due to my SPD and generally feeling crap! There’s no way I could be at work now. So I would say be flexible with how you feel, if you have an understanding boss they may let you stay on a bit longer if you are feeling good/or similarly move it it you feel crap x

Im finishing 2 days before 38 weeks. I work in an office so I am sat down the majority of the time. The struggle is getting my 5 and 3 year old to school then trying to get into the city centre for 9.30.

Our HR lady did say she thought I was working to close to due date, but I have done it twice before and know my body.

I had a sweep with my eldest 2 days before due date (closely monitored from loosing twins at 24 weeks previously), but with our second I went 5 days over, so hoping I will be ok x

I've finished at 36 weeks both times. The first time I had my daughter a week later at 37 weeks (actually the day she was born had originally been my last day of work, but I'd panicked a few weeks before and moved it a week earlier!). In that case, I'm really glad I didn't work longer as I really needed a few days to get ready first. I stopped about the same this time. I'd hoped to work a bit longer (I'm essentially self-employed, so I can choose when I want to stop as long as everything or most everything gets done), but I was worn out by about 36+3 and feeling really distracted worrying about going early again and not having things ready (especially as once you have children, there's so much more to get ready as you have to plan for the birth and after for them as well). So that's when I stopped. For me, it was the right time both times, but I'm not restricted on when I can go back either. I aim to take a full year off from the birth and then go back part-time. If I was trying to plan around SMP and annual leave, etc. I would try to work as long as possible, even if modified work, to have as much time off after baby is born, but realistically I don't think this would be much past 36/37 weeks if I could help it.

I'll be finishing at 34 weeks. I work 12 hour shifts as a carer and it's incredibly physical. I don't think I'll make it past then XD

I plan to finish up at just after 37 weeks xx

38+3 weeks and 40 weeks. I worked as a support worker.

My eldest I went at 32 weeks as I just wanted to leave and got a but carried away lol. My second i worked until 36 plus 6. He was born at 38 bang on so only a week at home. This time I'm planning to work until 37 plus 4 x

36/37 weeks, I work in a nursery so lots of running round and I'm going to be knackered. I've asked my manager if I can take all my holidays for the year before I go so it might change depending on that.

I intend on finishing work at 32 weeks which gives me the entire UK summer school holidays off before baby is here (due 7th sept)
No reason apart from this will be my last baby. I have a 5 year old too. And i intend on spending quality time with him before baby is born and also have some time for me too ☺

I am planning to take 2 weeks off straight before starting my maternity leave at maybe 38 weeks ..

Just wanted to say as a United States citizen I am incredibly jealous of your maternity leave laws :( ! I will likely wait until I'm 39 weeks before taking off. We only get 12 weeks (unpaid) leave but because of finances I'll likely have to return to work after just 8 or maybe 10 weeks.

Just wanted to say as a United States citizen I am incredibly jealous of your maternity leave laws :( ! I will likely wait until I'm 39 weeks before taking off. We only get 12 weeks (unpaid) leave but because of finances I'll likely have to return to work after just 8 or maybe 10 weeks.

Same! It's frustrating! I still have a while to go before delivery, but it stresses me out because I don't want to wait until the day before. Saving PTO is a nightmare, because some days I just have to push through my fatigue, MS and just days of raging hormones and it's really not fair. Most Americans can't afford 12 weeks unpaid, so I too, will probably go for the 4-6 weeks out.

I feel so bad for you US mamas. It’s just not right. I’m so grateful Canada does what they do, I get a year or year and a half off with my babies and get paid to do it, even if it’s not tons, it makes it work.

I feel so bad for you US mamas. It’s just not right. I’m so grateful Canada does what they do, I get a year or year and a half off with my babies and get paid to do it, even if it’s not tons, it makes it work.

I'm incredibly jealous! A whole year paid, I can't even imagine that. I don't think I would want to go back! ha! But yeah, we get the short end of the stick. They promote family life and such, yet basically leave you hanging at a very vulnerable time. Not asking for a hand out, but at least give me something so I'm not stressing to go back to work so quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->