Maternity leave worries...

Yes we live in an altruistic society. My taxes go towards many many things, health care, maternity, social housing, social care.

Personally I wouldn't have it any other way :) I pay for things I will never need to use. But if I did, they're there no problem. Doesn't mean we don't have issues or poverty. But there's help.

Good points, Ziggie--our taxes in the US go toward many things that only some people use as well. I wasn't thinking of all the other programs that we pay into that I will never use. Just a matter of what we have grown accustomed to, I guess. : ) I would love to have an extended maternity leave! My little guy was born October 18th, and I go back to work January 5th. And I have one of the "good" leaves here.

I guess I think of our social programs here as established on a basis of "need." (Disability, social security which you've already contributed to, welfare, etc.) I just wasn't thinking of maternity leave as being classified the same. But no reason it can't be--it is helping someone out in order to contribute to the greater good. And of course extended time at home with mom will only benefit kids, which in turn benefits society.

I appreciate the reply! : )

Well the current government are desperately trying to privatise everything and have made massive cuts :( so we will see. I work with children and families in desperate situations and see how they benefit from social care, housing and benefits. It's horrid to see how families are going further into poverty... But so far maternity leave is good!! And I pay enough taxes to feel like I deserve the full benefit of it!!!

Well the current government are desperately trying to privatise everything and have made massive cuts :( so we will see. I work with children and families in desperate situations and see how they benefit from social care, housing and benefits. It's horrid to see how families are going further into poverty... But so far maternity leave is good!! And I pay enough taxes to feel like I deserve the full benefit of it!!!

Our system definitely has some flaws as well. What is amazing is when you get to see the programs be a helping hand for a while to someone who works so hard to better their life. Everyone deserves the chance to escape a life of poverty.

You absolutely deserve the maternity leave! : ) Enjoy every second!

If you have a healthy happy workforce you're always going to make more money... So it's worth investing in. That's what I think anyway. Governments have the wrong priorities! Well the wrong ideas about how to get there!!

Anyway!! Good job I'm not in charge :D

If you have a healthy happy workforce you're always going to make more money... So it's worth investing in. That's what I think anyway. Governments have the wrong priorities! Well the wrong ideas about how to get there!!

Anyway!! Good job I'm not in charge :D

Lol I agree with you! Someone should ask us before they make decisions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->