maternity leave???

c.c

1st baby 3rd trimester
Reaction score
hiya im having trouble at work with maternity leave and holiday apparently because im on maternity leave most of next year i will still be able to have my full holiday so i want it before i go on leave but my boss being awkward about it all...

anyway my main question is when is it normal to go on maternity leave??? boss keeps asking but i dont no when to say as i feel fine at mo but only 16weeks so how do i no what ill feel like in a few months... so whens normal to leave????

xxxxxx

Hmmm why are they being awkward about it? I'm due May 21 and hoping to go on maternity leave from end of April...although I want to take my four weeks holiday before then too... xx

i can't take my full holiday before i go. a lot of companies won't let you take holiday until you've actually accrued it, which you won't have by april. i can't take all of mine as there isn't sufficient cover available for me taking a month off. the fact that i'll then be gone for a year doesn't seem to have occurred to anyone. but i should be able to take a fortnight at least. i am due on the 24th may and i want to leave at the end of april too.

im due may 25th so not far away from you... just basically making choose a date to leave. been asking to take my holiday when i leave so get paid for longer but there making out i may not be intitled to all of my hol for next year when i no i am and i cant take it all in one go need to space it out which doesnt sound right so managed to get hold of hr's number and im going to try and find out myself...

xxxxxx

Hi I'm due 6 May and also have to take my holiday before I go on maternity leave.

I'm take 1 - 30 April as annual leave (19 days) and then starting maternity leave on 4 May (3 May is a bank holiday) so my last day at work is a month before baby is due :happydance:

That still leaves me we a week annual leave left over so I plan to take the odd day here and there to go baby shopping in the new year.

Why is your boss being awkward? Where I work we can only carry over 5 days leave to the next year so either I take it all before May or lose it!

xx

i can't take my full holiday before i go. a lot of companies won't let you take holiday until you've actually accrued it, which you won't have by april. i can't take all of mine as there isn't sufficient cover available for me taking a month off. the fact that i'll then be gone for a year doesn't seem to have occurred to anyone. but i should be able to take a fortnight at least. i am due on the 24th may and i want to leave at the end of april too.

Hi Abz

Its so confusing how companies are all different!

xx

but if you look on legal sites you aquire holiday whilst on maternity and most companys dont carry holiday over to the next year and as youll be off all of next year you will have already aquired it before you leave xxx

we get paid in january for any unused holiday over the year... but only if you are on maternity leave and couldn't take it. they don't like you moving it over and it all has to be ok'd.

but most companies have problems with you using hols before you accrue them, especially with mat leave in case you decide half way through that you aren't coming back and then they are out of pocket.

I am leaving 18th december on annual leave - left from this year.
I am then taking all of january working days off with next years annual leave.

Then my offical mat leave will begin 1st feb 2010 with due date 9th feb.

I will then have a few days left - which I have booked off for xmas next years, as i will be returning to work in October 2010.

Im sure they would rather you took all your leave before you go, as being on mat leave works the same as though your still at the company - so they wont be out of pocket because its what your intited too

Holidays at my work run from Sep-Sep so I have a full years worth to take before next May. I'm lucky though - I am taking them all in the run up to my due date so I start on the 30th March (my birthday) and my mat leave starts on my due date.

Bonus - then I get my full 39 weeks with baby and have a full years hols to take from Feb - Sep when I go back... :happydance:

I think employers generally seem to have you take holiday before you start maternity leave. My sister wanted to add hers on the end and had it agreed before she left but when she started organising returning they were saying she couldn't carry it over. Make sure you get things in writing for everything.

With regards to when to start it's a personal choice but you are entitled to leave once you hit 29 weeks. Your type of job may sway it - ie of you are on your feet alot or in manual work or long shifts. With my first baby I left 6 weeks before she was due. This ended up being 8 weeks because she was 2 weeks overdue. With my second I planned on working until 4 weeks because I found I was bored for much of the 8 weeks I was off before my 1st baby arrived. I found I was flagging a bit 6 weeks before as I'm on my feet a lot in my job so I asked to leave 5 weeks before. It's not set in stone as your employer has to accomodate you and on one really knows how they will feel. My best friend worked till the day after she was due....
This time I have a little one to run around after and I am giving up work after so I am leaving bang on 29 weeks :)

I think 6 weeks seems to be about the average :)

I was leaving the 19th feb but am now leaving 3rd feb due to having 2 weeks remaining holiday from this year iam due 26th march I have 27 work days left yippee.....

my work want to take me for all they can get well thats my impression but im finding everything out for myself that im intitiled to then going from there just because im pregnant doesnt mean they can walk all over me!!
im want to leave as early as poss really but i only get 6weeks full pay maternity and any hol i can manage to get so need to stay quiet late really :nope: xx

I have been having the same concerns as well ... my employer wants me to take all my holiday before i leave but i can carry over a week. I was planning on finishing about 5 weeks before, using holidays - and going on mat leave the week that it is due.

does anyone know though what happens for example if the baby comes early, for example a week or even two - what happens to the annual leave you are on ? do you just lose those holidays ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->