Maternity Shoot, Am I being unreasonable?

babyseeker

Reaction score
I spoke with DH about my upcoming maternity shoot and he feels that I am being unreasonable by not including his children from a previous marriage in the photo shoot. I honestly don't think that I should be required to do a photo shoot that includes them, I have absolutely no issues with his children (they live in our home) I just want to my maternity session to be focused on the new baby, this is my first child and I want to do a session with just me and the DH. Am i being unreasonable?

no not at all really hun.. its a maternity shoot not a family shoot. Could you do just one or two pics with the kids in it just to appease him hun. You might look back in the future and be glad you did it xx

Can you not compromise and have them in one or two of the photos? I have 2 kids already and if I did a maternity shoot I'd like to have my kids in a couple of the photos, since it's their sister :)

If I'm honest I can totally see why he'd like his kids in the shoot.

Like the other ladies said, could you just have them in one or two of the photos, doesn't have to be in every one :)

I wanted to do a shoot for this pregnancy..

I didn't want to include my kids... I just wanted a pic of me with my bump. But I wanted my belly to be bare, so that's why I wanted it to be just me.. If it's a fully covered belly, I probably wouldn't mind my kids in the picture.

As far as it being YOUR first, I understand why you wouldn't want to include his children... I think your first deserves his or her own spotlight for a few things. Your pregnant photos should reasonably one of them.

We had a maternity shoot and had DS1 in some of the pics, even though he wasn't really happy about having his picture taken!
Letting them be in some of the pics might give them a chance to bond with the new baby, which might be a bit more difficult for them to do otherwise as it's a half brother/sister instead of a brother/sister.

If you reject them from the photoshoot then you're just making it acceptable for them to reject the new baby and already making them think that you're not all part of the same family.

I would compromise and let his children be in a few of the pictures. It is a maternity shoot and you could tell DH you'd like a full family shoot once LO is here - but I agree that it could be bonding for his kids with your first LO to have them in a few belly pictures.

It's a maternity shoot, not a family portrait. I can totally see where you are coming from.
I'd suggest a family shoot after thebaby is born.
Xx

Personally, I think you should include them in some way. You can definitely have lots of pics of you, DH and your bump of course, but still have a few shots with his kids.
I know how horrible I felt when I wasn't being included in these sorts of things by my step dad's family when my mum remarried and fell pregnant, I honestly felt like I wasn't a part of that family and I'm sure some of those feelings rubbed off on the babies once they were born.

I wouldn't even include my own kids in a maternity shoot.

I think you both have fair points, and reasonable desires. I think it could do a lot to help the kids bond with the baby if you include them in a few of the shots so that they and your DH don't feel like they're being displaced, but there's no reason they need to be in all of them.

thanks so much ladies, I plan on doing a family shoot once the baby is born but I sort of wanted the maternity shoot to be all about the me and the baby. It sounds really selfish but its the truth. I will compromise and add them to a couple of the pics just to keep the peace

Sounds like you already made the decision but it might help to think "If this was our second baby, would I want to include our first child in the shoot?" And then treat your OH's children the same way.

I didn't do a maternity shoot for either pregnancy but if I had, I would definitely have included my first child in the second shoot. If you are including your DH, I can totally see why he wants all his children together in the pictures. I think it would be a lovely way to strengthen your bond as a whole family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->