Matresses for cotbed

babymamma

mummy to Madeline
Reaction score
Hi there everyone!

Wondering if anyone can help me....I am stuck with what matress I should buy and what is a reasonable price for one???

Thanks!

x

Not got a cotbed myself, we've just used a cot. You need to bear in mind how long this is gonna be used for...possibly 6 or 7 years so I would spend more and get a decent mattress or else you'll end up having to buy another one in a few years time when baby turns into small child.

I would get a sprung mattress with a removable cover (I have one of these for the cot and it's invaluble if baby is sick or has a bad cold....think runny snot:blush:). If you get a foam one....it won't last long and will get indentations once baby has slept on it for a while, even if you turn the mattress (our cot mattress did this after just a few months:hissy:, so we got a sprung coir mattress instead).

As for the anti allergy side of things....you could just get an anti-allergy mattress protector as it would be cheaper than the anti allergy mattresses:muaha:

a sprung one it is then! do you know where a good place to get one is??

so many questions!! x

:baby:Mothercare and John Lewis are both good and give good advice too. Cotbeds are all different sizes so check your cotbed's statistics....so to speak. it should be on the box. The mattress has to fit exactly or it can be dangerous

Thanks a lot hevz! Will go instore and have a look....

This is the one we bought Olivia
https://www.mamasandpapas.co.uk/pro...ng-interior-mattress-size-400/3978000/type-i/

We bought her furniture (cotbed, waredrobe, table top changer/dresser) from Mammas & Pappas but didnt get the mattress till she was 2months old. She slept in her moses basket till then. Only reason we got the M&P mttress was cos of us having the M&P cot bed so wanted to make sure it fitted. Its a great mattress & has a cover that you can take off & wash. Also is breathable.
Hope this helps. Argos do em pretty cheap too.

Thanks Staceymy.....we got our nursery furniture set from Argos so may have a look on their site for one.
Don't need one to last for years with it being a cotbed cos once she is in a bed she'll more than likely go into one of the bigger rooms which have beds in already.
My mum mentioned something about safety matresses???
x

I bought the one from mothercare that was £75 or 79 quid..... just noticed that boots.com are now doing baby stuff and mattresses and have some really good deals right now... i got my mum a sprung one for her cot and its very good quality n 38.50!

xx

Most places that sell mattresses do all the various sizes....so it doesn't have to be bought at same shop as the cot.

Try Kiddicare etc online too, they're usually good value and free delivery if you spend a certain amount:happydance:

https://www.babymattressesonline.co...c-fully-sprung-mattress-for-cots-product.html

I bought this one for my cotbed :) I think it looks totally perfect!!

I have to get a new mattress for my cotbed too. Babies R Us seems a bit cheaper than Mothercare. We'll be going for a sprung one.

Is anyone going for one of the organic natural mattresses?
I've been doing too much reading and finding out all sorts of horrible things about mattresses off-gassing all these noxious fumes all over poor baby and am getting all paranoid.
I wish we had better testing to back up these claims. I just don't know how seriously to take them.
The eco mattresses are easily $400-500 CAD, while a simple mattress from IKEA is $60.
But if it is a real health issue, then I'll do it.
I don't know what to think.

i think mine cost 69 or 79 pound from babies r us, lady said it will last 6/7 years, and it won a award because it controls the temp so if baby is to hot or to cold.
feels very comfortable 2! xx

Is anyone going for one of the organic natural mattresses?
I've been doing too much reading and finding out all sorts of horrible things about mattresses off-gassing all these noxious fumes all over poor baby and am getting all paranoid.
I wish we had better testing to back up these claims. I just don't know how seriously to take them.
The eco mattresses are easily $400-500 CAD, while a simple mattress from IKEA is $60.
But if it is a real health issue, then I'll do it.
I don't know what to think.

I never know what to think either but that price sounds obcene in my opinion. They always try scare mongering tactics with baby products etc and most (not all) are only telling half-truths:hissy:.

Good luck with your decision:hugs:

They'd got vibrating ones when we were looking in Babies R Us....!!!

We are co-sleeping so not planning on getting one but I'd go for the $60 one SarahKK on the grounds that if they had been proven to give off toxic things they'd be banned but I may be being naive there? x

They'd got vibrating ones when we were looking in Babies R Us....!!!

We are co-sleeping so not planning on getting one but I'd go for the $60 one SarahKK on the grounds that if they had been proven to give off toxic things they'd be banned but I may be being naive there? x

Husband will probably be making that decision for me - he also thinks the eco-mattresses are obscenely expensive. The fact that I am even considering them? Well, he's just chalked that up to more "preggo craziness". :)
I'm sure I'm being paranoid, but I can't help thinking that we thought BPA was fine in baby bottles up until a few months ago, but now it's been banned in Canada. So I don't know if I should just dismiss the mattress concerns as scaremongering or not.
There are lots of reputable studies that question the safety of fire ******ants and other chemicals used in regular mattresses. But we are exposed to so many toxins in our daily lives that perhaps worrying about just one of the sources is kind of futile?
Oh dear, that sounds a bit depressing. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->