MC, diarrhea "could" equal low progesterone

Marumi

36, DS 7 and 2
Reaction score
I just researched the cause of diarrhea in early pregnancy because that is what I have dealt with, until recently when I was put on progesterone. Now I am constipated.
This got me curious.

A few sources said that constipation is a good sign that progesterone, which is needed to maintain a pregnancy, is high.
One article said to not take large amounts of Vitamin C to relieve constipation, as this could permanently disrupt progesterone production and eventually lead to a miscarriage.

Guess what I did? With my miscarriage and this pregnancy I took Vitamin C once (a larger dose) to relieve constipation...and from then on suffered chronic diarrhea.
Me thinks I might have manipulated my own progesterone production... (I hope not but damn..) and I wanted to share so no one else makes this mistake. Apparently quite a few laxatives can also cause a similar problem.

And, if you have diarrhea, you might want to get your progesterone checked. I don't think it always is related to low progesterone but can be.

Edit: WANT TO MAKE IT CLEAR AGAIN THAT IT CAN BE A SIGN FOR SOME, NOT MUST. THERE CAN BE SEVERAL CAUSES FOR DIARRHEA.

Article:
Diarrhea during the first trimester is something that is quite rare but at the same time is something that is not completely unheard of either. Diarrhea during pregnancy in the first trimester is something that is quite rare because of the action of the hormone progesterone. Progesterone and estrogen are the two female sex hormones but it is progesterone that is responsible for maintaining the body and preparing the body for pregnancy. When a human female gets pregnant, the hormone progesterone takes over from estrogen and this can have some odd side effects curiously, diarrhea during the first trimester is not a typical symptom because progesterone has the effect of removing water from the colon...
... which should in fact cause constipation instead and not diarrhea.

Causes of Diarrhea During First Trimester

Diarrhea is a problem that occurs when the colon is irritated by some toxin or infection and this causes the colonic cells responsible for dehydrating feces to stop their action. This causes feces to be expelled in exactly the very form that they were formed in. Constipation is the exact opposite of diarrhea. Constipation occurs when the feces dry up too much and this causes the feces to become as hard as a rock. This consistency is not amenable for expulsion of the feces. Feces need to be a certain consistency to be expelled and this is one of slight hydration. Progesterone will increase the colon’s ability to absorb water from the feces; therefore, instead of diarrhea during first trimester of pregnancy, it is constipation during the first trimester of pregnancy that occurs.

Signs of Diarrhea During First Trimester

If diarrhea does occur then this is probably a more ominous sign that something else is wrong. The most common cause of diarrhea is a gastrointestinal infection by a bacteria or a virus. This is actually quite common in the lifetime of a human being and should not be a cause of worry since there is no danger to the baby. Most cases of diarrhea resolve in the course of a day and therefore will not cause a lot of long-lasting problems. There are also some kinds of drugs that you could be taking that could cause a certain amount of diarrhea. Vitamin C that is taken on an empty stomach can sometimes cause this condition and is something to take in moderation during the first trimester as it can inhibit the production of progesterone. If this happens, you could suffer a miscarriage.

I was just skimming through this forum because I was following quite a few ladies just a few weeks ago before we discovered our MMC.
Anyway, I had diarrhea my whole pregnancy , off and on . Sometimes I would be okay but looking back the two weeks before the baby passed I had constant diarrhea. I also came across that being a sign of low progesterone .
I'll definitely be bringing it up to my doc at my follow up appointment.
I have not heard of the vitamin C thing though , that's very interesting !

Vitamin C - It is surprising how many natural home remedies can cause a problem. I read warnings about magnesium too. Though there seems to be a difference between milk of magnesia and magnesium citrate.

When reading about Progesterone supplementation I also read that very early supplementation is recommended.
Progesterone dries up the fluids in your colon hence your feces become dryer and the mother constipated.

What were the magnesium warnings you read?
I'm about to go hit Google, I take a magnesium supplement every night for restless legs syndrome, and now I'm concerned :(

What were the magnesium warnings you read?
I'm about to go hit Google, I take a magnesium supplement every night for restless legs syndrome, and now I'm concerned :(

My husband researched it when I was constipated. Large amounts can supposedly trigger a MC. But those are amounts large enough for you to have diarrhea. I think a supplement would not fit in that category.
That said, Magnesium Citrate Supplements are labeled as Cat. C. Adequate studies of it's effects during pregnancy are lacking.
I can't find much through Google at all. Not sure how he found it but he showed me the site and we agreed to try Vitamin C instead.

From another site: "Pregnant women or lactating mothers should strictly avoid magnesium citrate drugs, as they can enter the body of the embryo or of the infant."*https://www.buzzle.com/articles/magne...e-effects.html

Progesterone along with relaxin triggers gastrointestinal discomforts during pregnancy. This is why many pregnant patients experience constipation, heartburn, indigestion, and diarrhea. It also makes the muscles in the lower intestines soft and lax which make gasses to widen the bowel making pregnant patients experience a bloating feeling.

Progesterone has some side effects when taken as supplements by patients that have low levels of this hormone. Below are some of these side effects that can be experienced. Common and transient side effects include tenderness of the breast, headache, vaginal discharge, diarrhea and problems with urination.

Diarrhea in very early pregnancy is a result of the rising hormone levels, predominantly progesterone. Since extended periods of diarrhea can cause weakness and dehydration it is best to seek medical advice if it persists. These very same hormones can also cause constipation in some women.

@HappiestMom
Which is why I said "can" be a symptom, not must. But several things I have read said that progesterone is more likely to cause constipation. I wanted to put this out here so moms with diarrhea can check their levels to be sure. My personal experience is that each time I had diarrhea in pregnancy I either miscarried or bled. With my only healthy pregnancy I was constipated.

Diarrhea during the first trimester is something that is quite rare but at the same time is something that is not completely unheard of either. Diarrhea during pregnancy in the first trimester is something that is quite rare because of the action of the hormone progesterone. Progesterone and estrogen are the two female sex hormones but it is progesterone that is responsible for maintaining the body and preparing the body for pregnancy. When a human female gets pregnant, the hormone progesterone takes over from estrogen and this can have some odd side effects curiously, diarrhea during the first trimester is not a typical symptom because progesterone has the effect of removing water from the colon...
... which should in fact cause constipation instead and not diarrhea.

Causes of Diarrhea During First Trimester

Diarrhea is a problem that occurs when the colon is irritated by some toxin or infection and this causes the colonic cells responsible for dehydrating feces to stop their action. This causes feces to be expelled in exactly the very form that they were formed in. Constipation is the exact opposite of diarrhea. Constipation occurs when the feces dry up too much and this causes the feces to become as hard as a rock. This consistency is not amenable for expulsion of the feces. Feces need to be a certain consistency to be expelled and this is one of slight hydration. Progesterone will increase the colon’s ability to absorb water from the feces; therefore, instead of diarrhea during first trimester of pregnancy, it is constipation during the first trimester of pregnancy that occurs.

Signs of Diarrhea During First Trimester

If diarrhea does occur then this is probably a more ominous sign that something else is wrong. The most common cause of diarrhea is a gastrointestinal infection by a bacteria or a virus. This is actually quite common in the lifetime of a human being and should not be a cause of worry since there is no danger to the baby. Most cases of diarrhea resolve in the course of a day and therefore will not cause a lot of long-lasting problems. There are also some kinds of drugs that you could be taking that could cause a certain amount of diarrhea. Vitamin C that is taken on an empty stomach can sometimes cause this condition and is something to take in moderation during the first trimester as it can inhibit the production of progesterone. If this happens, you could suffer a miscarriage.

Same here..I get like pregnancy induced IBS lol and I'm always on prometrium so levels are normal if not high

Interesting, I've had to suplement with progesterone on my last two pregnancies and I did have diarrhea con my son's pregnancy before I took it now that I think about it.

Interesting, I've had to suplement with progesterone on my last two pregnancies and I did have diarrhea con my son's pregnancy before I took it now that I think about it.

Same here I did have diarrhea before taking it for several weeks and now I am experiencing constipation.

I know this isn't necessarily true for everyone, but just to give people peace of mind, diarrhea is a sign of pregnancy for me. I've been pregnant 4 times (one chemical) and diarrhea after meals and pretty much constantly in the beginning is totally normal for me.

It wouldn't hurt to have progesterone checked but may also be normal. :)

I know this isn't necessarily true for everyone, but just to give people peace of mind, diarrhea is a sign of pregnancy for me. I've been pregnant 4 times (one chemical) and diarrhea after meals and pretty much constantly in the beginning is totally normal for me.

It wouldn't hurt to have progesterone checked but may also be normal. :)

Yeah that is what I mean...does not hurt to get Progesterone checked. I think it would actually be good for everyone to get it checked because IF it is low, a miscarriage can likely be prevented by taking progesterone (though I also read not every woman responds to synthetic progesterone).

I think it is good I am supplementing seeing how progesterone now gives me constipation and I have an underlying condition that can supress progesterone.

When I was pregnant with my daughter, my midwife actually told me that I should be taking vitamin c with my prenatal vitamin because it helps your body to absorb iron better. Whether or not this is true, I don't know, but my daughter was perfectly fine. :)

When I was pregnant with my daughter, my midwife actually told me that I should be taking vitamin c with my prenatal vitamin because it helps your body to absorb iron better. Whether or not this is true, I don't know, but my daughter was perfectly fine. :)

The article is referring to medicinal, so large amounts of Vitamin C ;) Otherwise it won't help you go either.
Small amounts of Vitamin C are fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->