Meadow Rose 24/2/09

S

sparkswillfly

Thought I should prob write my birth story before I forget it all....

It all started on friday 20th whilst watching Jonathon Ross I started getting contractions 3 mins apart not at all painful but frequent. Gradually throughout the night they got more and more painful but staying at 3 mins apart. I was wearing my tens but not sure what it was actually doing. Decided about 7.30am after a night of no sleep and laying on the living room floor in agony to go to the birth centre.... I remember saying to my OH "Her birthdays going to be the 21st" Little did I know I was a long way off!

Got to the birth centre was examined.... I knew it was bad news because I could feel her rooting around! She couldnt find my cervix! Great.... I was praying I was 3cm.... no such luck. So she said to have a nap and I would be checked again in an hour or so. Another midwife came in after an hour and did another internal to tell me my cervix was very posterior and I was barely 1cm.... I was so upset because I had been in sooooo much pain. After this contractions started to ease off so off home we went.

Had some sleep saturday and the contractions were still there but only about 3 an hour. Sunday came and the contractions started to speed up again. Was using the tens machine and having loads of hot baths but I was exhausted and in a lot of pain. I felt like I was at breaking point and I couldnt take much more.

At 5am Monday morning I was crawling around the floor in agony I really couldnt take any more. Contractions were five mins apart but a whole new level of pain. So we went in again. Went up to the delivery suite this time only to find out I was 2cm!!! Fantastic! At that point I just broke down I couldnt do it anymore. Midwife didnt look impressed and I felt like a complete failure. She said she would admit me and give me some Diamorphene(sp?). So off I went to the ward and OH went home. The Diamorphene was fantastic... didnt really take away all the pain but it made me soooo relaxed I kind of half slept for an hour. Then at 7.30am I felt/heard a pop and my waters went. Had another internal but was only 2-3cm still! They took me up to the delivery suite again anyway.

At this point I was ready for an epidural! Just had gas and air till 12pm which was ok.... not the best. Relaxed me a bit but didnt exactly take the pain away. By 12pm I was screaming "wheres my fucking epidural?!" But I dont remember that :blush: I was examined again at 12pm and I had got to 6cm woo hoo progress! The anaesthetist then turned up and gave me a my epi..... but to my horror it didnt work. The right hand side of my body was still in a lot of pain. I kept having top ups but it still hurt a lot.

At 4pm I was examined again and was still at 6cm! :hissy: everything had stopped. Midwife then told me I had to have a drip to speed up and strengthen the contractions and it would hurt so I needed my epidural readjusted to try and make it work. So the Anaesthetist came back and fiddled with it.... did absolutely nothing but I had the drip anyway.

I cant really remember much after that it all kind of blurs for the next few hours. OH went home for some sleep and I was checked again later on maybe about 8pm and I had go to 8cm but was still in a lot of pain. Anaesthetist came back and said he would re site my epidural.... which naturally didnt work. He came back at about 11pm and put some Diamorphene through the epidural which relaxed me and I got an hours sleep... sort of.

At midnight I was checked again... I was fully dilated but baby was facing sideways and my cervix was in the way somehow not sure how... but it meant a doctor coming in and moving it out of the way... ouch...

I was then left for a couple more hours to try and wander about and get her moving. At 2am I was told it was time to push..... I was pushing for about 30 mins when the midwife called the doctor in to take a look at me. Baby was now back to back and her heartrate was dropping... so they informed me I had to go to surgery for a ventouse... Anaesthetist came back to discuss pain relief with me said I had 3 options... general anaestic (but very dangerous whilst pregnant) epidural... (neither of us trusted that one) or spinal block. I opted for the spinal... I signed my consent form OH put on his scrubs and off we went.

Spinal was really weird... they were moving my legs into the stirrups but I couldnt feel a thing and they didnt look like my legs... as far as I was concerned by legs were still lying on the table where I left them! After five mins the doctor informs me that baby is in too much distress and a c section its going to be....

I was terrified I started violently shaking... it was a very weird experience no pain just felt like I was being pulled around the table. She was finally born at 4.20am tuesday morning with take that playing on the radio in the background. OH watched the whole thing. Hearing her cry for the first time was the most amazing sound I have ever heard.:cloud9:

I was in a lot of shock for a while afterwards I was shaking for hours and couldnt pick her up. I felt numb. I really wanted to breastfeed but couldnt so her first feed was given my a midwife which really upsets me now and I think it affected me bonding with her at first. Once I was transferred onto the ward and we were alone I tried breastfeeding and she took to it perfectly. Shes a natural!

It took me a couple of days to get over the shock of what happened I never in a million years expected to have a C section. It still hasnt sunk in that shes finally here now. It still doesnt seem real....

Wow that was a long one... well done if you managed to read it all.

Edit: Her weight was 6lbs 9oz... forgot to add that bit

https://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e188/sparkswillfly35/meadow/photo002.jpghttps://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e188/sparkswillfly35/meadow/photo005.jpg

Aww bless you really had it tough, she looks well worth it x x

Sorry to hear you had a rough old time of it ~ Meadow is adorable, I love her name too! x

Congrats hun! She's gorgeous!
Sorry you had a tough labour!

congratulations !:)
she is adorable!

sounds like a familiar birth story minus the c section. well done you. your girl is lovely. xxxx

I can't believe I missed this!!! Well done hun and huge congratulations! She is gorgeous :hugs:

xxx

Sorry to hear you had a bad time, she was well worth it though she is a beauty :D :hugs:

You did so well, she is goregous hun.

What weight was she?

Congrats hun, sorry you had such a tough time though :hugs: xx

She's gorgeous! Congratulations. Sorry you had such a rough delivery :hugs:

She is beautiful, congratulations!

aww what a rough time, congrats and she is gorgeous.! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members