Meeting with headteacher

Vonnie18

Mum of 3
Reaction score
So I have a meeting with headteacher today for my oldest son....8.
I came home to a letter yesterday advising me that they were putting him on a behaviour contract!!

Basically what happened was a few weeks before xmas the headteacher called me to let me know that he was involved in a fight and got involved when this was nothing to do with him! I said I would speak to him about it to find out what happened, now I know my child and know when he is lying...anyway. What had happened was that 2 boys were fighting and my son was looking on, another little boy got involved and ended up hitting my son so my son pushed him. This was the incident she was talking about him getting involved when he shouldn't have been.

I met with her and told her that my son has been told that if someone hits him he has to hit back and stick up for himself as I won't have him ending up being bullied at school. She said to me thats not school policy which I then told her I accept but if my child is sticking up for himself he won't be punished by us.

She then went on to say that it's happening a lot within his class (there's a lot of boys and a few of them clash) and rather than sit down and talk about it they are too quick to resort to hitting. I'm thinking FFS they are 8, they are not going to say 'Lets sit down and talk this through'.

Anyway, kind of going on a rant here. So I have asked to meet with her regarding the letter as at the start she goes on to say that Dillon's behaviour has improved since the incident and she's really happy with that....but they're going to stick him on a behaviour record anyway and monitor him in the playground! Kind of contradicting themselves, why say to a child 'oh you've been behaving really well but lets record your behaviour anyway'!

She will be getting told today that I will not have my child going on to the behaviour record, unless his behaviour really deteriorates which I can't see happening. Only a few weeks before the above incident happened we had parents evening and his teacher couldn't speak more highly of him and certainly never mentioned any bad behaviour!

Wish me luck....haven't been in the headteachers office since High school lol x

I tell my son to hit if someone hits him too...but ONLY if they are going to hit again. He has only done it once to a boy who used to spit at him, and punch him all the time. I had spoken to that boy's mom and she did NOTHING. The school did nothing...so I said, fine, you can hit this boy...but JUST him, and just this once, and he did..and the boy has never touched him again. Normally I am not for that, but in that instance I was, because no one was doing anything. My kids are not normally allowed to hit. The school can only do so much, but I would be careful about telling your child to hit. You don't want him thinking it's ok to hit all the time...kwim?

I tell my son to hit if someone hits him too...but ONLY if they are going to hit again. He has only done it once to a boy who used to spit at him, and punch him all the time. I had spoken to that boy's mom and she did NOTHING. The school did nothing...so I said, fine, you can hit this boy...but JUST him, and just this once, and he did..and the boy has never touched him again. Normally I am not for that, but in that instance I was, because no one was doing anything. My kids are not normally allowed to hit. The school can only do so much, but I would be careful about telling your child to hit. You don't want him thinking it's ok to hit all the time...kwim?

I'm glad your son never got any hassle again.

Yeah, he knows he's not allowed to just go about hitting people but if he gets hit (properly not just by accident) then he has to hit back. IMHO if kids just stand and take getting hit from others then they are setting themselves up to be bullied.

Anyway, went up to speak to teacher and it was easier than I though lol, she basically said it was my option whether I wanted him on the report or not and as I feel he did not merit this then he is not getting put on it x

Oh good! I hate bullies...and in my experience, it usually is learned behaviour from their parents! Funny that, isn't it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->