Mei Tai for one month old?

nada87

Reaction score
would you guys recommend getting a mei tai (sp?) for a one month old? LO is almost 12 lbs already so a stretchy isn't strong enough IMO and i have a woven one but find it difficult to tie it because i either do it to loose or to tight. i like the look of a mei tai but not sure if it would be good to use now. i want something i can wear most of the day and something adjustable so dh can wear the same one too.

Mei Tais are really only recommended once they have good head control.
Some MTs like the Ergo come with newborn inserts, so it's worth investigating.
A stretchy wrap is much easier to adjust and 12lbs is absolutely fine. My LO is 19 lbs and I still use my Moby if I feel like it :D

Isla's 4 months old now and although her head control is excellent and has been for a couple of months now, she is still not big enough really for her Mei Tai - I have to fold it up before tying or else it swamps her - she's 14lb now btw.

I bought our Babyhawk mei tai when LO was around 2 weeks old and I think I started using it when she was about a month old, maybe 6 weeks. At 6 weeks, she was 12lb 2oz. She was fine it in straight away. They advise for a young baby that you put them in the froggy position with their legs up inside the carrier, but LO refused to do that so I let her have her legs out - I just had to narrow the body of the mei tai with some ribbon tied around it. It worked fine and she loved it, just went straight to sleep in it. She's always had fairly good head control but as long as you tie it nice and tight and the head rest is high enough (make sure baby is seated deep into the body of the carrier) it should be fine. If LO's head flopped, you could always use something like a muslin rolled up behind them. If the carrier is too long for LO, you can fold it over at the waistband to make it shorter and it's no hassle.

Hi

the kozy is great for newborns, I had my son in mine practically from birth. You are looking for one where you can 'froggy' their legs and also that folds down at the top should there be too much material in the length. Also consider strap angle; I had one brand that was lovely but the strap angle of the top straps (the angle of the bottom straps was better than most brands) was such that you couldn't draw in baby close enough at the top and even when my son was a bit older; his head would loll about when he fell asleep in it; so I had to sell that one making clear it was more ideal for an older baby or toddler.

Soph x

I used a maitei from 3 weeks and it was fab; material came right up over his back and head. He had pretty good head control early on but I felt my maitei supported it well. He was froggy legged till about 3-4minths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->