• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Meldmac's Book list 2011-2012

meldmac

Mom to an angel and Colin
Reaction score
This list is what I have read/listened to so far and rating out of 5 (1 worse - 5 best)

What I have read:
Wither (3)
The Hunger Games (4)
The Pilot's Wife (3)
Footprints of God - Greg Isle (4)
THe Sea Captain's Wife - Beth Powning (5)
The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls (3)
The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini (5) Probably one of the best books I've read in awhile.
Sue Monk Kidd - Secret Life Of Bees (4)
Life Of Pi - Yann Martel (4)
Jack Whyte - Forest Laird (4)
Ken Follett - Pillars Of The Earth (5)
Lee Child:
- The Killing Floor (4)
Heaven is for real - Todd Burpo (4)
Elizabeth Kostova - The Historian (4)
Stephen King
- The Stand (5) - One of my favorite books
- Cujo (4)
- Needless Things (3)
- On Writing (4)
Guellermo Del Toro - The Strain (4)
George R. R. Martin
- Game Of Thrones (5)
- A Clash of Kings (5)
- Storm of Swords (5)
Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child
- Ice Limit (3)
- Mount Dragon (4)
- Relic (4)
- Reliquary (3)
- Riptide (4)
Stephanie Meyer - Twighlight Sega (2) - Think I might be the only one in the world that thought these were poorly written.
Deborah Carr - Sanctuary - (5)
Robert Jordan - Wheel Of Time (books 1-10) Couldn't finish the books
Terry Goodkind - Sword of Truth Series (5)
James Rollins
- Map Of Bones (4)
- The Last Oracle (4)
- The Judas Strain (4)
- The Black Order (4)
- The Ice Hunt (3)
Mercedes Lackey
- Heralds Of Valdimir books (4)
- By The Sword (4)
- The Outstretched Shadow (4)
- The Mage Storms books (4)
- Vows and Honor books (4)
- The Last Herold Mage books (4)
Nora Roberts
- Circle Triology (4)
- Three Sisters Triology (4)
Tami Hoag
- Cry Wolf (3)
Iris Johanson
- Quicksand (4)
- Count Down (4)
- The Face Of Deception (4)
Dean Koontz
- Lightning (4)
- Frankenstein book 1 (4)
- The Servents Of Twilight (4)
- Watchers (4)
- Phantons (4)
- Fear Nothing (4)
- Strangers (4)
- Whispers (4)
- Seize The Night (4)
- The Bad Place (4)
- From The Corner Of His Eye (4)
- The Taking (3)
- Cold Fire (4)
- Doorway To Heaven (5)
James Patterson
- Along Came A Spider (4)
- Roses Are Red (4)
- Step On A Crack (4)
- Jack & Jill (4)
- Maximum Ride (3)
- Cat & Mouse (4)
- Kiss The Girls (4)
- Violets Are Blue (4)
- Big Bad Wolf (4)
J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter books (5)
Diana Galberdon - Outlander (4)
Christine Feehan - Drake Sisters Novels (4)
Janet Fitch - White Oleander (5)

Red=currently reading

Terry Goodkind
- The Omen Machine
Guellermo De Toro
- The Fall
- The Night Eternal
George R. R. Martin
- Feast For Crows
- A Dance With Dragons
Barbara Kingsolver - The Poisonwood Bible
Dean Koontz
- Breathless
- Your Heart Belongs To Me
- What The Night Knows
- Intensity
Heather Graham
- Ghost Shadow
- The Presence
Kate White - Hush
Sue Grafton
- U is for undertow
- F is for Fugitive
Tami Hoag - Mismatch
Depak Chopra
- Jesus
Lee Child
- The Hard Way
James Patterson
- London Bridges
- Women's Murder Club
- Sail
Veronica Roth - Divergent
Gregory Miquire
- What The Dickens
- Wicked
Sarah Susanka - The Not So Big Life
Meg Meeker - The 10 Habits Of Happy Mothers
Christine Feehan
- The Awakening
Carolyn Savage - Inconceivable
Matt Logelin - Two Kisses For Maddy
Andre Norton - ElvenBane
Greg Mortenson - Three Cups Of Tea
John Matthews - The Shadow Chaser
Bruce S. Feiler - Abraham
John Vaillant - The Tiger
Kathryn Stockett - The Help
Les Standiford - Bringing Adam Home
Charles Dickens - Great Expectations
Iris Johanson
- Chasing The Night
Michael Palmer - A Heartbeat Away
Queen Noor - Leap Of Faith
Janet Evanovich - How I Write
Larry Levin - Oogy
Jordan Sonnenblick - After Ever After
Nick Schuyler - Not Without Hope
Emma Donaghue - Room
Jenn Ashworth - A Kind of Intimacy
Erika Mailmann - The Witch's Trinity
Joe Hill - Heart Shaped Box
Carol Topolski - Monster Love
Sarah Addison Allen - The Sugar Queen
Jane Hill - Can't Let Go
Adam Nevill - The Ritual
John Ajvide Lindqvist - Harbour
Sookie Stockhouse Novels

Here's what I have read when I was younger that I can remember:
- Black Beauty
- Charlotte's Web
- Narnia
- Wuthering Heights
- Lord Of Flies
- The Diary Of Anne Frank
S.E. Hinton
- The Outsiders (5)
- Rumble Fish
- That was then, this is now
- Taming The Star Runner
Tolkien
- Lord Of The Rings (5)
LM Montgomery
- Anne Of Green Gables (5)
- Emily Of New Moon (5)
Jack London:
- Call of the wild
- White Fang

Rating=4
Plot Summary: "The Historian interweaves the history and folklore of Vlad Ţepeş, a 15th-century prince of Wallachia known as "Vlad the Impaler", and his fictional equivalent Count Dracula together with the story of Paul, a professor; his 16-year-old daughter; and their quest for Vlad's tomb. The novel ties together three separate narratives using letters and oral accounts: that of Paul's mentor in the 1930s, that of Paul in the 1950s, and that of the narrator herself in the 1970s. The tale is told primarily from the perspective of Paul's daughter, who is never named."

Would I recommend it: Yes
Thoughts: It was a very long book but worth reading. The author is a beautiful writer and the detail in the book is astounding. The reader feels like he/she is right there with the characters.

Rating=4
Plot Summary: "A young boy emerges from life-saving surgery with remarkable stories of his visit to heaven.

Heaven Is for Real is the true story of the four-year old son of a small town Nebraska pastor who during emergency surgery slips from consciousness and enters heaven. He survives and begins talking about being able to look down and see the doctor operating and his dad praying in the waiting room. The family didnt know what to believe but soon the evidence was clear.

Colton said he met his miscarried sister, whom no one had told him about, and his great grandfather who died 30 years before Colton was born, then shared impossible-to-know details about each. He describes the horse that only Jesus could ride, about how reaaally big God and his chair are, and how the Holy Spirit shoots down power from heaven to help us.

Told by the father, but often in Coltons own words, the disarmingly simple message is heaven is a real place, Jesus really loves children, and be ready, there is a coming last battle." (as written on Amazon.ca)

Thoughts: Wasn't sure what to think to be honest when listening to this audiobook. I am a Christian and I do believe there is a heaven but thought that this might be a hoax. After listening to it though it is very convincing and a very touching story.

Love your list. You're doing really well this year!

I smiled at your Twilight comment. Actually it seems MANY people agree with you. I am not one of them. Sorry. :( But you are definitely not in a minority. :)

I should have clarified about the list I've read that's books I've read in the past not necessarily just the past year. I think I would have had to stick myself in a closet somewhere and hid to be able to read that many the last year! :haha:

Rating=4
Plot Summary: "For generations, treasure hunters have tried to unlock the deadly puzzle known as the Water Pit: a labyrinth of shafts and tunnels that honeycomb the heart of a small island off the coast of Maine. Reputed to be the hiding place of pirate treasure, the Water Pit possesses an inexplicable ability to kill those who venture into it, from professionals to innocent explorers.

But now one man has made a startling discovery: the Water Pit is actually a carefully designed fortress, conceived for pirates by a renowned seventeenth-century architect who hid his plans in code. Unlocking the code will break the curse of the Water Pit. Or will it?

The most comprehensive, high-tech expedition ever assembled has come to Maine and to Dr. Malin Hatch, owner of the island. While the treasure hunters have their reasons for mounting this assault--$2 billion in gold--Hatch has his own motives to join them. For Hatch, whose brother died on Ragged Island thirty years before, the only escape from the curse is through the black swirling waters and bloodstained chambers of the Pit.

With more computing power than a small university, the recovery team slowly chips away at the mystery. But as the seekers try to conquer the Pit, men begin to die. And all the while, the last, secret chamber of the Pit waits to unleash the most lethal mystery of all... (taken from official website for book).

Thoughts: I enjoyed it although it wasn't one of my favorites from them. Not really any specific thoughts as it was more of just a fun book.

meldmac - just finished reading the Twilight crap as I wrote a spoof of them for a Hallowe'en gig. One word: dreck. :sick: They were awful. I've read worse, but not by much. Just so you know that you're not alone! :)

And on your To Read list - The Poisonwood Bible - incredible book. Barbara Kingsolver is one of my favourites. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

meldmac - just finished reading the Twilight crap as I wrote a spoof of them for a Hallowe'en gig. One word: dreck. :sick: They were awful. I've read worse, but not by much. Just so you know that you're not alone! :)

And on your To Read list - The Poisonwood Bible - incredible book. Barbara Kingsolver is one of my favourites. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Have you read The Host? Is it any better or should I just pass on it?

No, I haven't, but Ms. Meyers will not be getting any more of my reading time! Too many much better books out there! :)

Think I will give it a pass too as I've read a few bad reviews about it and that's enough for me. I have way to many other books that are worth reading I want to read.

LOL I was definitely in awe. Should have know better, but I dunno you could be a speed reader. :shrug::haha:

I should have clarified about the list I've read that's books I've read in the past not necessarily just the past year. I think I would have had to stick myself in a closet somewhere and hid to be able to read that many the last year! :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->