meltdown tactics and support

Also days out, he had a huge meltdown on our last day and and people kist stared at him :(

:hugs:

The people watching DO NOT MATTER.

Which part is the hardest thing for you when he has a meltdown? Does he stay with you, or is he trying to run off? Is your younger son in a pram or similar so he is safe whilst you are dealing with the elder?

I've got a rucksack I take on the school run (with headphones/food/supplies and various things!) it's large enough that I can put Aiden's school bags inside it, so that there is only one bag between us. This lets me have both hands free, which is absolutely vital. If you can reduce the amount of things you have to carry or worry about, that could be a good start.

Hi hoping for some advice.
My son is 5 and we are waiting for him to be assessed for autism.
I have no idea how to deal with his meltdowns out of the home. He occasionally has them when he comes out of school, between him, having his younger brother with me and his bags etc I find it a real struggle to even get to the car.
Also days out, he had a huge meltdown on our last day and and people kist stared at him :(

I wonder if you made up a small box or small bag with some of the things like I have in my dissertation box if that would work have a look at that website I posted they really have some fantastic things even the liquid timers they have mini 1s for £2 the fidget would be good 2 as it's small and when you see he's ready to go off give it to him and see if it calms him down try it out next shopping trip to and see how it goes xx

I know they don't matter but it makes me feel like they are thinking we are terrible parents :(

My youngest doesn't use his pushchair now but will either want me to carry him (and the toys he insisted on bringing) or try and walk ahead.

He will attempt to run off then flop down when I hold his hand while crying/screaming/shouting.
I think I will try taking a bigger bag as we have his packed lunch, book bag and water bottle.

Thanks Lynne I will check out the website later.

Been a while since I've looked at this thread and been some huge improvements in my d's behaviour he's came on a lot I the past months and I can actually get him in the house by saying ok 5 mins the in I never thought I'd see the day don't get me wrong we still have our difficult times but I'm so proud of how far he's come 😊

Been a while since I've looked at this thread and been some huge improvements in my d's behaviour he's came on a lot I the past months and I can actually get him in the house by saying ok 5 mins the in I never thought I'd see the day don't get me wrong we still have our difficult times but I'm so proud of how far he's come 😊

So lovely to hear! :)

My boy's having a lot of problems in school, home is hard but manageable. Or would be, if things were normal. We've got a lot of grieving to get past at the moment, since we've lost two family members recently. I don't think Aiden's grieving himself - I don't think he understands - but there's obvious emotional splashback.

We got a CAMHS referral a couple of months back, but it's not till March!

That being said there are definite improvements in some things - tiny steps, but they are there...:flower:

So lovely to hear! :)

My boy's having a lot of problems in school, home is hard but manageable. Or would be, if things were normal. We've got a lot of grieving to get past at the moment, since we've lost two family members recently. I don't think Aiden's grieving himself - I don't think he understands - but there's obvious emotional splashback.

We got a CAMHS referral a couple of months back, but it's not till March!

That being said there are definite improvements in some things - tiny steps, but they are there...:flower:

Aww I'm so sorry to hear about your losses 😢 perhaps this is why he's having problems at school.
good to hear therw are some improvements. May I ask what CAMHS is? The waiting list for most thing I've found are terrible our son's going for the asd assessment the end of this month they had told us it would be February but I got in touch with the msp and was after that we got it moved forward.
sending you and you're family my love getting through your grief xxx

Aww I'm so sorry to hear about your losses 😢 perhaps this is why he's having problems at school.
good to hear therw are some improvements. May I ask what CAMHS is? The waiting list for most thing I've found are terrible our son's going for the asd assessment the end of this month they had told us it would be February but I got in touch with the msp and was after that we got it moved forward.
sending you and you're family my love getting through your grief xxx

He's been having problems for years so I don't think this has had much impact, other than grief increases the difficultly of managing the normal challenges at home for me and my partner. There's too much going on and I'm powerless to help the people more closely affected.

Thank you for your thoughts :flower:

CAMHS is Children & Adolescent Mental Health Services. It's to do with emotional/behavioural things. I'm really not sure what help it will be tbh, but I guess we'll see depending on what state we are in in six months...!

Good luck with the assessment next month :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->