Men excluded from baby showers?

Agreed. Most of my friends didn't spend more then $50. The more expensive items were on my registry for family who wanted to go in together for a big gift. Also, if you put items on your registry, a lot of places will give you a significant discount on them. Lots of people add their cribs and travel systems so that when they do buy them they'll get 20% off.

^ We did our registry at Babies R Us and got that deal. :flower:

I actually like it when people do registries. Oftentimes I'm stuck for gift ideas so it really helps!

Also, some stores will give you the value of everything bought from your registry in gift cards if your baby is born on it's due date! (Sears). My brother and his wife put everything on it including their crib which they bought and got a huge gift card when their son was born on his due date :)

I didn't know you got a discount! We had a registry with Babies R Us and bought almost all of it ourselves. Boo.

I read today that baby showers where men are not invited, are archaic and gender discrimination.

My (genuine) thought is that men do not care about attending baby showers and would rather stay home and play xbox on their Saturday off of work.

What do you think? Is that taking it too far?

I think it is archaic and gender discrimination to make an assumption purely based on the fact they are men, regardless of what it is they aren't being asked to be involved with. I'm not sure what "it" is that is being taken too far :shrug:

Surely it's up to a couple to decide what they want? I'm sure if I had a shower with just girl friends Mr Foo would rather stick hot pins in his eyes than sit with us, but then, many of my own friends are male, so it would seem very odd to have this sort of celebration and not have some friends there just because they happen to have a penis. I've been to more stag nights than hen parties and nobody batted an eyelid. As my best male friend said, it would have seemed strange for me NOT to be there to celebrate with him.

I say, forget about tradition and do what you want to do. If you want a girlie do, and your OH is happy with that, then go ahead. If you want a mixed sex celebration, then do that too.

Incidentally, I know plenty of people who have mixed poker games and footie nights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->