Mental health support in the UK

Housewife83

Wife and Mum of 1 boy
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is long and confused, but I'm very upset as I type. :cry:

I could do with some advice from someone who has been CBT receiving treatment for OCD in the UK.

I started my sessions a few months ago after I was recommended by my doctor. A lot of my OCD issues revolved around work and the stress related to that.

The thing is there was a mix up with my referral and I wasn't seen when I should have been. By the time this was cleared up I was no longer working and was also pregnant.

My sessions haven't really been going well. I haven't felt that they are really suited to me. The pace seems slow and even though I've had several sessions I don't feel like we've actually got to the therapy part yet.

My therapist asked me for feedback at my last session and I said I felt that there was some benefit, but that the pace was too slow for me. I also said that I was frustrated because we weren't able to focus the sessions on issues like my work. My therapist says that you can only work on issues that are affecting you during the time period when you are having your therapy. So because I'm not working at the moment I'm not allowed to talk about those issues. I said that I am worried I won't ever be able to get a job because I can't get over my issues relating to work. The therapist said that I'd have to go on medication and then seek another session of therapy. But I was already on medication when I stopped work, so I don't think that will help.

My other problem is missing sessions. My therapist has cancelled at least one, but I think two sessions because she hasn't been available. One of these sessions was postponed but another we managed to rearrange for another day.

Unfortunately I've had to cancel three. The first one was because I had a maternity appointment in the morning and didn't know how long I'd be kept. I was able to give advanced notice of this.

My second one I cancelled on the day because I was ill with laberinthitus. I'd been to my GP in the morning and she confirmed this so I wasn't making it up or exaggerating.

Recently my OH and I decided to go away to a conference for his work. I rang my therapists office and told them in advance.

My therapist rang today and said that if I miss any more sessions we might as well cancel as there is too much going on in my life and the sessions need to be regular for them to work.

I feel upset by this because most of the occasions we've delayed or not had sessions have not been my fault. Only the third time I cancelled has been something I could have potentially avoided, but even then I think this is unreasonable because I think I'm allowed at least one holiday in a year. :cry: My sessions are two weeks apart and most people go on two week holidays so the average patient is bound to miss one.

The worst of it is at my last session my therapist started questioning my diagnosis and saying that she thought I had something other then or as well as OCD, some other anxiety disorder.

She kept saying to me, 'do you agree, do you understand'. I wanted to say no because I don't agree. I think it's unreasonable and that I'm being cut off from help when I need it most.

I wish I could get help somewhere else but I think this is my only avenue. I don't know what to do.

Hun, first of all hugs, I am sorry you are so upset my sweets.

I cant comment on the OCD side of things cause I have not had that. I have had CBT therapy for over a year, to help with several things including depression and anxiety related issues, at the time with some of the things it helped me enormously.If it OK i don't really want to say what all my issues were, BUT the majority of things that i ended up talking about were in my past but were affecting how I was now. If i had only talked about thing that i was going through then, we would never have got to the route of my problem! I too can sympathise with having "problems" with work, I ended up leaving my job last Oct due to my depression and anxiety, as the job was contributing to them, and was sooooo worried like you about working again, but I got another job in march. Unfortunately I am now off sick, but due to a pregnancy related illness, and nothing to do with depression and anxiety. So i really can sympathise with how you feel and worry about working again. HUGS xxx

My therapist also did tell me I had to keep up with the sessions too, i missed 1 when i was to ill and he cancelled 1 cause of snow, and another 2 when he went on holiday. I believe if i missed so many in a row, as the demand for the sessions is so high and the waiting lists so long, then I would have had to go back to my GP and be referred again. If however you give notice I cant see why there is a problem with it hun.

I can also sympathise with them thinking you have another disorder too, the only thing I can say is my CBT therapist had a physiological degree. My GP diagnose me with depression and anxiety and my CBT therapist also diagnosed me with social anxiety disorder and something else. As he spent a lot longer working with me than my GP and this was an area that he was trained in. I have to say for 3 or 4 months I TOTALLY disagreed with him, I hated him!!!! But for me personally he was right hun. I have also had this since confirmed by another Dr.

I had to go on about 7 different medications before we found one that was right for me, when at the time alls you want is just to feel better.

I would say if you find you do not click with your therapist then go back and ask you GP or ring up the centre or wherever you go and ask if there is someone else you can see? I had about 4 different counselling sessions over the years and have to say i felt like I was wasting my and there time as I just couldn't talk to them. but my CBT therapist just clicked, most of the time.

I am not sure I have been any help hun.

I hope things start to get better for you my sweets.

If I can do anything than please PM me, although i will try to remember to come back and see how this thread is doing xxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->