Meptid

suzanne108

Reaction score
My hospital offers meptid as an alternative to pethadine.

Any experience/knowledge on it?

I know they are similar but how does it differ to pethadine?

Thanks x

I've never heard of it hun but I've just found this on it...

What is Meptid?

Meptid or meptazinol is an opiate pain relieving drug (derived from the opium or poppy plant). It shares many of the advantages and disadvantages of pethidine, which is the opiate more commonly used in labour. (Read our articles on pethidine and diamorphine to find out more about pain relieving drugs used in labour).

A midwife can give you an injection of Meptid during labour. A standard dose of Meptid during labour is 100-150mg (milligrams), depending on your weight (BNF 2009).

When should I have it?

You're most likely to be offered Meptid during the first stage of labour when you might need some extra help to cope with strong contractions.
What are the advantages of Meptid?

Meptid has the same advantages as pethidine and other similar drugs (NCCWCH 2007:108), although it:

•May be less likely to make you feel drowsy than pethidine (NCCWCH 2007:102)

• May be less likely to affect your baby's breathing than pethidine (NCCWCH 2007:102)

• Can be given at any time during first stage of labour

• Takes only 15 minutes to take effect (BNF 2009)

What are the disadvantages?

Meptid has the same disadvantages as pethidine, although it:

• May be more likely to make you feel and be sick than pethidine (NCCWCH 2007:102)

• Is less commonly used than pethidine (NCCWCH 2007: 108)

Any useful tips?

• Check that Meptid is available at your hospital before deciding that this is what you want to have in labour!

• Ask for a vaginal examination to see how far your cervix has dilated before having a pain relieving drug such as Meptid or pethidine. If you are further on in labour than you thought, you might decide that you don't need it after all.

• It takes about 15 minutes for the drug to start working (BNF 2009) so use your breathing techniques to help you until it takes effect.

Thank you....I'm too scared to google as I usually find the horror stories!! xx

I've read that it has a less sedating effect on the baby and mother but pethidine is preferred as it is 3 times cheaps than meptid!

I've read that it has a less sedating effect on the baby and mother but pethidine is preferred as it is 3 times cheaps than meptid!

That surprises me....I thought the reason my hospital offered it was probably because it was cheaper than pethadine!!!

This is correct :) It is comparatively much more expensive than either pethidine or diamorphine.

It's supposedly less sedating on the baby and much less sedating on the mother. Some studies have found meptid allows for better Apgar results compared to pethidine (unsurprising if less sedating). As with pethidine, it can cause nausea and vomiting though, so it's administered with an antiemetic.

FWIW, it's the strongest painkiller I've got at home for my home birth and while I'd prefer not to use it if possible I'm very pleased my hospital/MW offers meptid over pethidine.

This is correct :) It is comparatively much more expensive than either pethidine or diamorphine.

It's supposedly less sedating on the baby and much less sedating on the mother. Some studies have found meptid allows for better Apgar results compared to pethidine (unsurprising if less sedating). As with pethidine, it can cause nausea and vomiting though, so it's administered with an antiemetic.

FWIW, it's the strongest painkiller I've got at home for my home birth and while I'd prefer not to use it if possible I'm very pleased my hospital/MW offers meptid over pethidine.

Thanks Snoopy!! :flower:

I think I might just be changing my birth plan to read meptid instead of pethadine...

Maybe I should be brave and google! xx

No problem :)

Do google - if you're comfortable with pethidine as an idea then you certainly won't be freaking yourself out looking at meptid. They're very similar, both have the same sort of possible complications, but metpid is more favourable in general :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->