Messed up factoid

Just a side note, I don't think that spending more on education necessarily correlates to better education.

But I do think all the prisons should be run by that sheriff that makes them eat baloney sandwiches all the time.

That would be a horrible horrible idea

There are approximately 2.5 million prisoners in the US. Multiply by $40,000 and you have $100,000,000,000. What is that, a hundred billion? A shitload of zeroes each year.

There are approximately (2011-2012 school year numbers) 55.5 million kids, K-12 in the US. If we take half that number, that's about 30 million elementary students. At $8,000 a year, thats $240,000,000,000. 2.5 times the amount spent on prisoners. Nice to know our kids are getting more overall, but with it spread so thinly it's not much.

You also have to ask yourself how many of these prisoners are in there on bogus charges.... :(

i'm sorry but that's ridiculous. Prison isn't supposed to be pretty. Why should someone who committed a crime get to watch cable, get free healthcare and free room and board? Many of the taxpayers don't even have the luxury of even affording healthcare.

I think I'm a bit sensitive but do we really know how many people are actually guilty??? My brother has been in prison waiting for his trail for over two months! Refused bond. All over a he said/she said case. I think it was a retaliation act. But can we say my brother shouldn't be entitled to care? He is suicidal so maybe the USA will benefit if he would just do away with himself? I don't think some comments are very fair. There was a man who served 20 years only to be proven innocent! A lady where I am from was in prison as a suspect for killing her 6 year old son back in 1986. Wasn't allowed contact with her other children. Two years ago, it was proved through technology that the child was killed by a dog! NOT HER! So to assume everyone in prison is "guilty" is exactly what is wrong with America today.

i'm sorry but that's ridiculous. Prison isn't supposed to be pretty. Why should someone who committed a crime get to watch cable, get free healthcare and free room and board? Many of the taxpayers don't even have the luxury of even affording healthcare.

I think I'm a bit sensitive but do we really know how many people are actually guilty??? My brother has been in prison waiting for his trail for over two months! Refused bond. All over a he said/she said case. I think it was a retaliation act. But can we say my brother shouldn't be entitled to care? He is suicidal so maybe the USA will benefit if he would just do away with himself? I don't think some comments are very fair. There was a man who served 20 years only to be proven innocent! A lady where I am from was in prison as a suspect for killing her 6 year old son back in 1986. Wasn't allowed contact with her other children. Two years ago, it was proved through technology that the child was killed by a dog! NOT HER! So to assume everyone in prison is "guilty" is exactly what is wrong with America today.

So sad :( Anyone, by virtue of being in the wrong place at the wrong time can end up in prison pre-trial or even wrongly convicted.
I hope your brother gets his trial soon.

So sad :( Anyone, by virtue of being in the wrong place at the wrong time can end up in prison pre-trial or even wrongly convicted.

Thank you. I didn't want to appear defensive but they have been absolutely heartless. The jail even told us that if my dad passed while my brother was there, they wouldn't get a message to him :cry:. My dh has a false charge on him as well. It unfortunately is more common then one thinks.

Thank you. I didn't want to appear defensive but they have been absolutely heartless. The jail even told us that if my dad passed while my brother was there, they wouldn't get a message to him :cry:. My dh has a false charge on him as well. It unfortunately is more common then one thinks.

:hugs: must be horrible. And that is terrible of the jail, why would they not get a message to your brother if something like that happened?! Disgraceful!

interesting..

https://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/50715775#50715775

I don't consider this O/t lol

this is awful! our children should come first over criminals. overcomer, sorry your family is going through that :hugs:

Children should come first!! Unfortunatly it's not always the case they need somewhere to put the criminals and we have to pay for that!! There will always be questions in regards to people being innocent and being in jail! It's not as common where I am. It might also be the case that if you fly with the crows you get shot with them so I think that's were some get caught out! Jail is the price that some pay for being involved! But here in Scotland you need two pieces of evidence to charge a person so I would say it's on the ball x

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

Not read the whole thread, but agree completely, sorry you are going through this. It is certainly more common than people think, my dad is currently serving a 4 and a half year sentence, along with 3 other people, for something which they did NOT do. So it isn't even just the US, where I am is very corrupt..but the UK was in on it too (it was quite a politically motivated case though). x

Ok I'm going to mix things up a bit and you won't like it but how do you know that these are false charges! Have you followed the investigations? Also I understand there are cases when somebody hasn't commited the crime but has been punished for it I'm not questioning that but where I'm from if you've commited the crime or had anything to do with it for eg being an accessory to the crime you will be treated the same!

Unfortunatley nobody wants family members to get in trouble so 9 times out of 10 people don't want to accept there family/freinds are in jail
for a reason! I can't speak for other countries of course and I understand the systems may be corrupt else where!

Yeah I did follow the case, I have seen the 'evidence' (of which there was none), in my dad's case they were actually convicted for something they weren't even charged with. People also committed perjury which even though the defense had evidence to prove this, they wouldn't use it. But, it is corrupt where I am and there were political elements, so we all kind of accepted it.

I think there is also a thing in the UK as well with people pleading guilty just to get a lesser sentence, my dad and the others were (okay they're not in the uk, but the channel islands) asked to plead guilty and if they had then the sentence would've been almost halved, when they refused saying they were innocent, the lawyers' responses were along the lines of 'you wouldn't believe how many plead guilty when they haven't done it'. So that must be a factor everywhere?

No idea how this thread got on to this, i've still not read it haha!

People should be considered innocent until proven guilty; however, the vast majority of people awaiting trial are there for a reason, imo...... But, I'm also aware interrogators use nasty tricks to get false confessions in some cases.

There are always exceptions to the rule, but if you ask people in prison, nearly all will say they "didn't do it...."

Yes everybody claims they didn't do which makes it hard possibly for the small number who didn't! It's diferent depending on where you live!

Yes there are ways people can get smaller sentencing by admitting guilt! But think on the other side of things people who murder are getting shorter sentencing when they are guilty!

It just shows you over all how much money goes into jails but also prosecuting criminals!

It must not be nice for you fantastica to not be able to have freedom of speech in regards to the situation your in. There are amounts of corruption everywhere however it's not as tolerated here and it's taken very seriously x

Children should come first!! Unfortunatly it's not always the case they need somewhere to put the criminals and we have to pay for that!! There will always be questions in regards to people being innocent and being in jail! It's not as common where I am. It might also be the case that if you fly with the crows you get shot with them so I think that's were some get caught out! Jail is the price that some pay for being involved! But here in Scotland you need two pieces of evidence to charge a person so I would say it's on the ball x

this is one of the times I was in scottland. My brother lost his kids and the judge called him horrible names and he hasn't stood trail yet...over a he said she said case :'(...I'm leaving this thread now...just too many emotions for me.

Overcomer79 I think it's frustrating for you to hear how other systems work it's ashame that not all countries have fair trials and investigate reported crimes proffesionaly. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->