Metformin and PCOS

clapper

Reaction score
Hi ladies! I am on Metformin for PCOS as a fertility treatment in addition with clomid. I am now 7 weeks pregnant and my doctor wants me to stop metformin after my 9 week scan. She also briefly mentioned it can cause sudden miscarriages... I am terrified to stop taking it as I have been on it for over a year now. Has anyone stopped taking it during pregnancy or will be?

I'm interested in hearing what ladies have to say on this one as I'm on Metformin to control my blood sugar

I'll be following too as I am also on metformin and due to start clomid quite soon. Sarah xx

Hi ladies! I am on Metformin for PCOS as a fertility treatment in addition with clomid. I am now 7 weeks pregnant and my doctor wants me to stop metformin after my 9 week scan. She also briefly mentioned it can cause sudden miscarriages... I am terrified to stop taking it as I have been on it for over a year now. Has anyone stopped taking it during pregnancy or will be?

My doctor told me to stop taking it immediately after I found out I was pregnant. I had been on it for almost a year. I go for my 8 week scan next Monday.

When I got pregnant with my son I was on it and my doctor weaned me off of it toward the 10/11 week mark and I have a happy and healthy 2.5 year old! I am also now 10 weeks pregnant and at the end of this week I am supposed to stop taking it as well- however he doesn't want me to just stop taking everything (I take progesterone, metformin and baby asa) so he wants me to stop one and wait a few days and stop another to ease off of them.

When I got pregnant with my son I was on it and my doctor weaned me off of it toward the 10/11 week mark and I have a happy and healthy 2.5 year old! I am also now 10 weeks pregnant and at the end of this week I am supposed to stop taking it as well- however he doesn't want me to just stop taking everything (I take progesterone, metformin and baby asa) so he wants me to stop one and wait a few days and stop another to ease off of them.

Definitely going to ask my Dr when he wants me off mine...so glad this question was asked!

Amp- good luck at your 8 week scan!!

Chelsie- That is reassuring :) I guess I have just gotten comfortable with taken it and it almost feels like a safety blanket.

eme- let me know what your doctor says! Just want out little beans to stay sticky and happy :)

I was prescribed Metformin whilst undergoing IVF and continued to take it for the first few weeks of my pregnancy. Once I had my first scan at 7+4, I stopped taking it. My LO is now 16 days old x

His Princess- congrats!!! thank you for sharing, definitely makes me feel better :)

I was strongly advised to CARRY on throughout my first pregnancy and I'm glad I did!!!!
Every time I had my urine tested (once a month) it showed elevated sugar levels. Made midwives panic every time. But blood sugars were normal and they think Metformin contributed to keeping sugar under control.

I stopped it at about 38 weeks I think. My Dr said Metformin has been known to ever so slightly reduce risks of gestational diabetes and not once mentioned risk of miscarriage!!!

I've been on Metformin for years for PCOS. I did not stop taking it (825mgx2) for my first pregnancy and when the Dr. mentioned me stopping it this one I got worried. She verified with another Dr. and then told me to keep taking it for this one as well. I have my GD test next week and don't have to stop for that either. My DD is perfect and so far so good with this baby girl.

I gradually stopped taking mine at about 20weeks. And both my babies were fine. I had 3mc previous to these pregnancies and I wasn't taking metformin. I'm now pregnant and worried as I've never taken metformin this time round 😐😐

I stop medicating as soon as I find out I'm pregnant. This is my fourth pregnancy, all three prior are perfectly healthy kiddos. I keep my carb intake at around 60 carbs per day from fruits and vegetables and some honey. I use a paleo diet to keep my blood sugar in check. My kids were born 7lb13oz, 7lb14oz and 7lb11oz so absolutely no sugar issues that affected them, either.

First pregnancy I stopped as soon as we found out we were expecting under doctors advice....I've done the same this time round. A friend of mine was told to stay on it until 12 weeks to reduce the risk of miscarriage.....also under doctors advice.

My doctor said I could stop when I got my bfp. All the differing opinions are so confusing.

I stayed on it throughout my entire pregnancy with my daughter, but also had gestational diabetes. She is now 2 and doing great! I will likely stay on it if I end up pregnant again.

My Dr told me to stay on it for the first 12 weeks.

With my second pregnancy I took metformin. My OB kept me on it until 13 weeks, and stopped taking it once I hit 2nd trimester. I'm pregnant with #3, and OB is doing the same-- on it til after the first tri is over. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->