Metformin

SarahLou372

TTC #2 with PCOS
Reaction score
Hi ladies :hi:

So Ive been on Metformin for PCOS while I was trying to conceive. I'm now 19 weeks pregnant and gone to my doctors to get my supply of metformin to find out the Gynae outpatients have stopped my metformin. I'm now worried sick I will miscarry baby without the :cry:

There are different views on Metformin in pregnancy. I was told to stay on it throughout as it supposedly lows the risk of gestational diabetes.

But lots of women on here stopped at various stages of pregnancy and were totally fine!

I wouldn't worry too much especially at your stage!

I needed metformin to fall pregnant with both of my girls..... I was advised to stop as soon as I found out with my eldest daughter.... I'd never miscarried before so I wasn't any more worried than I would have been without the metformin.... I did the same with my second pregnancy. My friend also needed metformin to conceive and her dr advised her to take it for first Tri and then stop. I'd say at this point in your pregnancy unless you need it for GD I wouldn't worry xxxx

I'm on metformin for pcos as well. When I was pregnant with my son the doctor had me take it until 14wks then had me stop it and put me on glyburide. This time I have a different doctor and she is going to have me stay on it the whole pregnancy after stating at a recent conference she was informed it is safe through the whole pregnancy. My previous doctor said it wasn't safe in 3rd trimester. I don't think stopping it would cause a miscarriage though since your not too early in pregnancy. I understand your concerns though I freaked when they took me off of it with my son I was terrified i would lose him.

I have PCOS and was taking Metformin. My FS told me to keep taking it until 12 weeks, which I did. It's not like a drug like progesterone that's going to cause some sort of drop that can affect things now though, so stopping it at this point shouldn't cause any problems. The only thing I've heard it possibly connected to later in pregnancy is trying to prevent GD.

I was on metformin until 6-7 weeks for both of my pregnancies. I don't think there is a major risk of miscarry coming off the medication. I passed my GD test with flying colors for my first pregnancy. This pregnancy they let me come of the meds for a week or two around 6 weeks and did a GD test. This time my levels were slightly elevated. I'll have another test at 26 weeks. I'm not sure if they would put me back on the medication or what. I think you just need to watch your diet and do the GD test.

I took it until I found out I was pregnant (found out at 5 weeks) and then primary told me to stop taking it. No problems here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->