midwife and doctor?

tatsNflowers

Reaction score
I need to know if I can have a midwife and an OB for maternity care. Then after a home birth can I take my baby to their pediatrician for vitamin k shots and to check for jaundice and everything else? A midwife isn't a widely "approved" birth method in Oklahoma, USA. But I don't want another hospital birth. It was way too hectic and I think it made my labor stall to where they told me (no option) they were going to give me an epidural and pitocin. And THEN they broke my water. I couldn't get 30 minutes of rest after my son was born because they were in out in out in out. The only thing I liked was the security of being there if something was wrong. My son had jaundice so we were there for 4 more days after he was born. They also ruined my breastfeeding by giving me a nipple shield to help me supplement. They insisted I let them take him to the nursery. Where later I found out they were giving him bottles and pacifiers. And my family kept coming in and they don't like breastfeeding. By the end of the four days we were there he was already not wanting to breastfeed at all. LET'S JUST SAY my first birth experience wasn't what I wanted at all. So I want to do my dream home birth naturally but with medical help from a doctor for me during pregnancy and my baby during pregnancy and after birth. I want it MY way. Can I do that?!

Check with the midwives in your state, and what the state laws are - I don't know what you meant by it not being widely approved - is it legal there?

When I transferred to a home birth midwife with DS1, my OB refused to keep seeing me; other OBs would be fine with continuing prenatal care. And honestly, having to do the OB route this time along, I can say that my midwife was a LOT more thorough than my OB's visits are currently. Seems like midwives are about preventing complications; OBs tend to stay back and step in after something's gone wrong (just my opinion). Also, my midwife did all the baby check-ups until 6 weeks, then we switched to a pediatrician. The midwife did the Vitamin K and monitored jaundice by having us put the kids in sunlight (indoors) for specific times.

Anyway, laws vary from state to state on what midwives can do, and you'll want to check with your insurance to see what they're willing to cover.

good luck! :flower:

Check with the midwives in your state, and what the state laws are - I don't know what you meant by it not being widely approved - is it legal there?

When I transferred to a home birth midwife with DS1, my OB refused to keep seeing me; other OBs would be fine with continuing prenatal care. And honestly, having to do the OB route this time along, I can say that my midwife was a LOT more thorough than my OB's visits are currently. Seems like midwives are about preventing complications; OBs tend to stay back and step in after something's gone wrong (just my opinion). Also, my midwife did all the baby check-ups until 6 weeks, then we switched to a pediatrician. The midwife did the Vitamin K and monitored jaundice by having us put the kids in sunlight (indoors) for specific times.

Anyway, laws vary from state to state on what midwives can do, and you'll want to check with your insurance to see what they're willing to cover.

good luck! :flower:

Thank you. It is legal but no "in their right mind" would do it. Everyone seems to think it's neglectful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->